General rear wheel bearing

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Harvey, Tuesday 1st Jan, 2019.

1. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi all,
    I've noticed this for probably a few weeks that I have had a whining noise coming from the back of my car, could even have been abit longer, at first it sounded like tyre noise, but has steadily got worse.

Well that came to a head over the last couple of days and while I wasn't doing anything today figured now would be the best time to get a jack out and check the bearings.

As it happens, I have a bad wheel bearing on the drivers side ( oh joy) there is no play in it at the moment, its just noisy, so I should be ok if I need to go anywhere. The downside is I have to replace it. I did manage to find on Ebay a Genuine Honda wheel bearing ( part number 42200-SEA-951 ) that someone had bought 2 years ago and never used so its essentially NOS. I got it for £57 delivered, should arrive next week.

Has anyone replaced the bearing and what sort of problems ( other than getting the caliper off) am I likely to encounter.

honda_saj likes this.
  2. mw88 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I replaced the nearside rear bearing on my 2.4 Type-S on Friday.

It's not a difficult job, but there's not a lot of space around the bolts for the hub/bearing. Getting the caliper off should be the easy part!

I took the caliper/bracket apart separately to re-grease everything as they have a habit of seizing up.

Took about an hour to do, I had a small issue getting to the top left bolt on the nearside rear as I couldn't get my ratchet in properly and I managed to snap my cheap extension!

2x13mm bolts to remove the caliper and remove pads (I just balanced the caliper on the lower arms)
    2x14mm bolts to remove the caliper bracket
    Remove the brake disc - You might need an impact driver to remove the screw holding the disc to the hub
    There's a 12mm bolt holding the brake line to the bottom of the thing the hub is bolted to - I removed this so I could move the brake line easier.

Once the disc is off, it's just a case of removing the 4 x 14mm bolts on the back of the hub/bearing. Just be careful of the ABS sensor behind the hub when removing/replacing.

Hope this helps!

3. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cheers for that. I've done the brakes several times on this and a previous accord, so I know they are not too bad to do. As I suspected though, space would be limited. Hopefully this job won't be too bad as this side has been off before fairly recently at a garage to replace the affore mentioned ABS sensor

honda_saj likes this.
  4. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    Hello @mw88 , that's some great information you have posted, thank you.
    It's customary for new members to introduce themselves via "Introduce Yourself"
    Also please add your car to the club garage.
    Do stick around :Thumbup:

Here are some useful information, please take a moment to go through them.
    "Popular Guides For New Members"

Harvey likes this.
  5. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    great info never done wheel bearing myself yet

Harvey likes this.
  6. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

Thats nice that its a complete unit that you replace. I've always hated doing bearings because they normally marry themselves to the shafts so tightly that you have to fight with heat, hammers, cutting wheels etc to seperate them.

I like that design much better

honda_saj and Harvey like this.
  7. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah, I also like the design and general ease of removal, just don't like the cost of the units when they do fail, due to the ABS stuff being built in. That said I did get a NOS genuine Honda part for 1/3 of the new price, so not all bad.

honda_saj likes this.
  8. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

Considering how hard that component works, paying a few hundred for a replacement 15 odd years down the line - I think that having to pay that isnt a big ask really.

9. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's not that bad really in the grand scheme of things to be fair

10. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

Kinda what I was thinking.

I was explaining how combustion engines work with my son the other day, explaining the 4 stroke engine stages, and what an engine goes through for a single rev. He asked me what revs does a car idle at, so I told him around 800 ish. His eyes widened as he worked out how many times those pistons were bouncing up and down. He then asked what is the fastest they can go, to which I told him it varies, but he looked at my car and saw 7000rpm rev limit. He just sat there - stunned - at just how can anything go that fast and survive. He developed a very quick understanding of the amazing mechanics.

So replacing a part which has lasted so long is a reasonable thing, even if it does cost a bit to do so. Its had a hard life even when looked after.

11. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good on you! That said try explaining how a 2 stroke model racing engine can achieve 44,000rpm. Like the one in my 1/8th scale nitro racing buggy 20181217_223300.

honda_saj likes this.
  12. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

Exactly, and then some muppet sits there bouncing off the rev limiter and then wonders why they get engine failure.

AccordMavman, honda_saj and Harvey like this.
  13. mw88 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

If you've done brakes, you shouldn't have any issues doing the hub/bearing.

They're bolted on pretty tight (As expected), if using a cheap extension like I did, I'd recommend starting with the top left one as that's the only one I struggled with space on but snapped the bar before I'd got to it..

@DrSam - Thanks, Will do at some point :Smile:

IMG_0732.JPG SEA3EK0B44100036401KBAD06.PNG

Last edited by a moderator: Thursday 3rd Jan, 2019
  14. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cheers for that.

I have a pretty decent breaker bar and ratchets, sonifni break one it's off to Halfords for another on my trade card. Their tools have a life time warranty on them, like snap on do and their decent quality

honda_saj likes this.
  15. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

ah yes the trade card is a saviour

Harvey likes this.
  16. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well, I managed to get a brand new bearing genuine Honda for dead cheap, new old stock, from a guy on eBay who had bought it to do the same, but then got rid of the car, so it sat in his garage for 2 years, so had surface rust. For £57 quid.

Many pics where taken, and I recon it took more time to get my tools out and put away, than it did doing the job, which was easy enough and I didn't rush either.

20190111_175915. 20190111_180356. 20190111_181509. 20190111_181512. 20190111_181520. 20190111_181907. 20190111_181923. 20190111_181937. 20190111_182033. 20190111_183920. 20190111_184602. 20190111_184610. 20190111_191526.

17. K24 CL9 GUY Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Guy Gloucester
    Good skills Harv :peace:

18. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cheers Guy

honda_saj likes this.
  19. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Nice work and pics how long did it take you ?

Harvey likes this.
  20. Accord_N22 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Fantastic work there.
    I've done the rear bearing on my accord last year and also managed to find a genuine honda part for 70 quid at the time brand new.
    Lovely design and so easy to do.

The same rear bearing has gone again, 32k miles later so something has caused it to prematurely fail.

Your removal images show that the worn bearing has alot of rust inside the hub which shows that water has entered the hub and caused the bearing to fail.
    This was a similar sight to when I changed my bearing last year. The water was entering the ABS sensor hole as i changed the ABS sensor 2 years ago and the hole was slightly bigger as I had to drill the sensor out. I assume the water managed to enter inside over time.

Bought a cheap bearing this time round as they are easy enough to change, so if it lasts a year then the value is still cheaper than genuine honda one at £170 a piece.

I did do a DIY guide a few years ago for a ABS sensor change, this also covers the bearing hub removal too.
    https://h-tune.co.uk/club/guides/2003-2008-honda-accord-rear-abs-speed-sensor-replacement.1841/