Engine & Gearbox Rear end Noise

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Statesman, Monday 17th Dec, 2018.

1. Statesman Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Malc Manchester
    I have a Honda CR-V 2.2 Diesel <I am getting a vibration and a clicking sound when driving, I thought it was the prop shaft, had it into my local garage they took the propshaft off tested it and could find nothing wrong, they have checked wheel bearings and brakes ,all are ok, any one had this problem. The car is a 2011 with 87000 on the clock

2. Beefy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Hard to say what it is without listening to or experiencing the noise/vibration. Is the vibration worse on full lock turns? If so you need the rear diff flushing. Clicking could be stones stuck under the rear shock absorbers

honda_saj and andy83 like this.
  3. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    also check for anything on tyres gets missed many times

4. Statesman Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the reply tyres have been checked ,the noise is worse on full locks

honda_saj likes this.
  5. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thats does sound like CV joints

6. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

a second opinion from another garage
    is garage member of good garage scheme or motor ombudsman ?

7. billycrv Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Have you checked the brakes there might just be something trapped causing it to tick when driving

8. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Prop shaft lol

Well, they go on Land Rover Freelanders..........

9. Statesman Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I just Googled the problem and it seems to be a problem with 4 wheel drives , the fix seems to be to change the diff oil with genuine Honda diff oil, so going to give this a try.

10. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    honda_saj likes this.
  11. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

should be geniiune honda diff oil in there under assumption

12. rikernumber1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phillip Whitstable, Kent
    There's a specific way this should be done - I've just had a local garage change my diff fluid, according to these instructions:

1. Jack car off the deck so all four wheels can rotate freely – this is necessary to make the 4-wheel drive system engage (as the front wheels will have no traction, so the rear wheels engage via a clutch mechanism in the rear diff)
    2. Run car in drive for 10-15 mins to ensure diff fluid is nice and warm
    3. Drain fluid and replace with approx. 1.5 L of Honda Dual pump fluid – this is used as flushing fluid. Leave to settle for 10-15 mins
    4. Run car in drive for 10-15 mins to ensure diff fluid (flushing) is nice and warm
    5. Drain fluid and replace with the remaining 1.5 L of Honda Dual pump fluid – use new washers
    6. Run car in drive for 10-15 mins to ensure the new fluid circulates
    7. Done!

If you just drain and refill it may be OK, but the above is based on the way Honda do it.

13. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Nice guide

14. Statesman Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My local garage who own,s a CR-V is changing the oil for me on Thursday, will post if it cures it or not

andy83 likes this.
  15. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    :Thumbup: fingers crossed mate...

16. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If they are just changing the oil it will solve it, for now. Chances are though unless the correct flush procedure is adhered to it will be a temporary cure of around six months.

17. rikernumber1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phillip Whitstable, Kent
    I'd agree with Pottermus on this; my diff had a slight knock when I bought the car, and I had the supplying garage change/flush the fluid then to fix it (2014); the fluid was then changed/flushed 2 years ago just as preventative maintenance, and I've just had it done again to cure the same 'knock' I had originally, which had come back. I may make it an annual job from now on.

18. Statesman Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks everyone for your help, I had the diff drained and flushed, refilled ,took it for a test drive everything perfect , no vibrating or noise.

honda_saj, Sandy52 and andy83 like this.
  19. Mark 111 New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Mark McKay Kirriemuir
    I'm getting a knocking noise from the rear 1st thing in the morning , only been very slight for the last few months just as clutch is near fully disengaged and drive is on the wheels , but today a judder and a metallic dull clucking buffering sound for about 2 seconds .when it's hot no problem, just 1st thing in the morning , the cars had a compleat clutch DMF and slave cylinder replacement just under 2 years ago only done 22 ,000 miles since , hopeing it's just a rear diff flush and oil change needed.