Rear EK4 ARB setup on ej9?

Discussion in '6th Generation (1996-2000)' started by kipper, Thursday 12th Nov, 2009.

1. kipper Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi guys, was wondering will a complete EK4 ARB kit fit on my ej9? I have aftermarket LCA's. Will i need a subframe brace? I didn't think i would since the VTI setup is relatively thin?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Kris :Smile:

2. al9955 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

it will fit buddy, providing it has all the needed brackets etc as all the holes are pre drilled on the chassis, aftermarket LCA's always have the holes drilled for the droplinks, so thats no bother either.

I doubt you will need a subframe brace, as you say, the OEM VTI ARB isnt very thick, it would be advisable if you were going bigger though!

al9955

3. kipper Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yehh, I have the holes in the same position as the ASR brace for the "D-brackets?". I reckon I'll keep a look out for one :Smile: and get it painted a bright colour :Grin: lol, I have no front ARB however, But i've been reading that it actually contributes to understeer?

4. al9955 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

along with the d brackets it should also come with some spacer brackets, as you will find the ARB will not fit correctly without them, bascially they bolt into the holes on the subframe, then then the d brackets mount to the space bracket, basically it space's the ARB about an inch away from the subframe, so that the drop links will be at the correct angle, without them, its pretty useless!

I've not heard it contributing to understeer, that may well be a mith, if you wanted to fit a front ARB, you need the ARB and d-brackets, and you'll need to change the front LCA's, as EJ9's without front ARB's don't have the brackets to mount the ARB to

al9955

5. steve-o Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

also check that your back box loops high enough over your LCA otherwise it will not fit as i have that problem with mine and have not fitted yet till i get a new exhaust with a high enough bend

6. JDM_EJ9 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

ide fit an EK9/ek4 front ARB aswell to balance the cars handling + stiffen the front end up, both are 26mm. you don't need new front lca's all UKDM + JDM eks have the same front + rear lca's, its USDM base model EK's that use different front lca's to save on costs.

but make sure your exhaust will clear a rear ARB. i can't fit my rear 24mm one because my exhasut is to close to my ASR brace.

7. al9955 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

thats wrong, EJ9's without front ARB's as standard DO NOT have the fittings on the front LCA's to attach the ARB, hence why have sold a few pairs of front LCA's to EJ9 owners for the very reason, there are kits on the market, (such as whitelines) which you can fit a front ARB without the need of the front LCA's, but this is not the case with OEM.

but you are correct the all rear LCA's have the fitting's for the droplinks, but this was not the concern!

al9955

8. kipper Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ahh I see, So if i see a VTI getting broke everything will be there I need basically? :Smile: .

Im not too bothered about a front ARB at the moment, Will maybe get round to it, Im not too bothered about spending alot of money on this, but I'll see what comes along :Smile: .

Yes. This has been a concern :| . M exahust doesn't loop high or low just seems to sit in the middle lol. I'll get a pic later.

Ahh I see, and My front LCA's have no place for an ARB :Frown: .

I'll concentrate on the rear first for some oversteer (Y) lol.

I understand :Wink: .

9. JDM_EJ9 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i must be wrong then. i thought all uk ones had the same front lca's as i have a 22mm front one as standard. prefacelift ones must be different.

10. al9955 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

exactly dude, just remove what you see hand should bolt straight up to your EJ9 :Smile:

IIRC all facelift EK's have a front ARB, all Prefacelift EJ9's don't, but prefacelift EK3's and 4's do :Smile:

al9955

11. ronildo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

This is correct

12. .ku Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

will front ITR sway bar fit EK?

13. al9955 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

it won't as far as im aware dude, as the actual shape of the ITR ARB doesnt flow with the EK subframe if you see what im saying!

al9955

14. ronildo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

ITR ARB will fit EG, not EK.