General Rattle under passenger dashboard over bumps

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by richardhonda, Saturday 27th Apr, 2019.

1. richardhonda Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom richard Manchester
    About a week ago I started to notice an annoying rattle when on a slightly rough road. It sounds like it’s coming from under the dashboard on the passenger side, close to the windscreen and above the glove box.

With the glove box open I can just get my hand into the space above it, but can’t find anything obvious, and it could be as simple as a loose screw on something up there. I wondered if it could be an audio speaker, or wiper motor assembly, but I’m stabbing in the dark.

Couldn’t see how to remove the glove box to get a better look, and might even not be able to identify the issue even if I do.

Has anyone had a similar rattle in the same place? Or can anyone suggest what might be up there that could have come loose.

Everything seems to work fine, so whatever it is doesn’t seem to be causing any kind of operating problem.

Any suggestions welcomed :Smile:

2. jd1959 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Have you checked the pollen filter and blower housing? Could be something in there and the noise is traveling up the defroster vents.

3. richardhonda Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Is the pollen filter the same as the cabin filter?

Should be able to open up the glove box and see what’s going behind it. Might be a loose nut or screw.

Many Thanks!

4. Matt at H-Tune Service Team H-Tune Staff

It is indeed the same @richardhonda - Realistically, it could be any number of things but it's always worth looking for loose screws first.

Be careful to not upset anything surrounding the passenger side airbag though.

Regards.

5. richardhonda Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Matt, or anyone.... what are the number of things it could be? Or some of Them?

Had a bit of a feel around and can’t find anything loose. It sounds like plastic against plastic, a bit like when you vibrate a plastic ruler on the edge of a table. Only happens over bumps. Pretty sure it’s just under the dash at the very left hand side, (passenger side). In the region where the heater vents are. I don’t think it’s inside the front of the door, and it happens with the window up or down.

6. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    I have one of those on the right, where the windscreen meets the dashboard. Just above but next to the heater vent. Fixed it by wedging cardboard/tissue in it. No way am I taking that apart.

Phil

7. richardhonda Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

If I could find out what is rattling I would happily use the tissue solution. Just need to diagnose it. Like you, I don’t want to take it apart, and don’t want to £££’s per hour for someone else to do it.

8. richardhonda Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

This - more or less.

From the drivers seat I could hear it coming from the area of the passenger heater vents. Last week I pointed it out to my wife in the passenger seat and she looked at me like I was daft.... she could hear it coming from the area of the drivers heater vents.

A while later, she opened up the sunglasses holder above our heads, removed my sunglasses, and the rattle stopped. Haven’t heard it since, even with the glasses back in the holder.

Problem solved :Smile: Many thanks for the input, and we now know that there is a route for sound from the sunglasses holder to both front heater vents....