pre-facelift fog light help

Discussion in '6th Generation (1996-2000)' started by Ringy_01, Sunday 27th Dec, 2009.

1. Ringy_01 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

just installed some pre-facelift fogs and i carnt get the to work. the loom tha comes with it goes from the batters to a inline fuse the to a lil black box (can never remember what they called) then to the passanger fog, then to the drivers side fog and earth, then to the inside of the car switch and a plug that goes in the fuse box. they are earthed ok, any ideas? summit daft like I've put it in the wrong space in the fuse box or summit? thanks

2. omp Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

mine have packed in, think its the relay which seems to be a fucker to get! check yours

3. Ringy_01 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

how do you check the relay?

these are brand new so hope they not fukd lol

4. Ringy_01 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

can anyone shed any light on this, could do with sorting it as its pretty foggy rouind here

5. Ringy_01 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

bump, anyone???

6. TwistedSanity666 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No idea, but seeing as you've just fitted these, any chance of a walk through?!

7. Ringy_01 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I've gota sort out getting a passangerside bracket for mine as some american company off ebay fuked it up and sent me 2 drivers side ones GRRRR.

once I've sorted that yeah ill post one up mate :Smile:

8. TwistedSanity666 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Did you manage to get the fog lights to work - I fitted mine today and I'm having the same issues as yours, they just didn't come on :Tongue:

9. Ringy_01 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

nope still carnt get them to work, realy annoying now. i might just make a new loom for them tbh

10. TwistedSanity666 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That sucks :Tongue: ...best go put the panel under the steering back on - what a mission

11. TwistedSanity666 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I read the car's manual and figured it was in the interior fuse box - slot 20 says "RR fog light" - stuck a fuse in there, but still no luck.

I'm going to try new bulbs once they come through in the post, other than that, I'm totally stumped as these are brand new and the loom is all new too :Tongue:

12. TwistedSanity666 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Also, I found this fitting guide:

http://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65513

13. TwistedSanity666 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Soz, I keep updating this thread - my dad did some tests using a multimeter and it turns out that it is the relay that is faulty.

There is power coming into the relay from the battery, but there's no power going out of the relay to the lights or the switch.

So we bypassed the relay and voila, the fog lights work - problem is, by bypassing the relay, they also just stay on constantly, and the switch doesn't work :Tongue:

Hope this helps, off to try to get hold of a new relay, anyone know where I can get hold of one?

14. Ringy_01 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

can you post a pic of your loom up please mate, the relays are dead hard to find tbh. did u just chop the relay out then?

15. tonycoupe97 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

id say you have plugged the relay in wrong, is it a 4 prong relay?

most electrical supplier will sort you out with a relay.

16. TwistedSanity666 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

DSC00959.

DSC00960.

Ringy_01

The problem was that (see second picture) there was power coming into the relay coming from the battery via the inline fuse (fatter red wire, top left of relay)

But this power wasn't being relayed to the lights/switch (smaller red wire, bottom right of relay)

We didn't chop the relay out as we were just testing - we put the multimeter in series mode, put the two probes on the metal contacts for both the red wires in the relay and the fogs came on, but the switch inside wouldn't work (essentially the same as putting a piece of wire to connect the two red wires together)

tonycoupe97

yes, 4 prong relay - can't see how it can fit the wrong way around as it's got a guide and seems like it can only go in one way.

Last edited by a moderator: Monday 8th Feb, 2010
  17. tonycoupe97 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

oh, well you have to have it the right way so its fits so i would say the relay is faulty.

unless the switch supplied is faulty...

or just thort maybe they have wired the relay up wrong... flip the switch so its on and change the black (earth) with either the small red or blue (they shld go to the switch) if the lights come on swict the switch off and they should go off... and then your done.

that could fck the relay up tho so take it to a garage otherwise.

Does the relay have a diagram on it anywher?

18. TwistedSanity666 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'll give the wire swap a try, got to get a new battery first, my one's finally died :Tongue:

19. tonycoupe97 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

yeah just don't blame me if it fcks up, its just an idea i don't no what will happen. Its what id do

but im stupid.

20. Ringy_01 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

thanks for all the info guys will try bypassing the relay 2moz and post up what happens.

i wonder if anyone else has had this problem or are we just stupid? lol

will post up what happens to mine 2moz,