Suspension, Steering and Brakes Power Steering Pipes

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Heckler, Sunday 4th Dec, 2016.

1. Heckler Community Staff Club H-Tune

Took the car for it's MOT on Friday, she passed with a few minor advisories.

2 tires will need replacing soon, one within the next 1000 miles and the other within 1500-2000 (I estimate based on tread left)

But the surprise was a small leak (weeping) from the power steering pipe. It appears to be coming from the main feed from the pump down to the rack, and is at the join between the lower metal pipe (that goes into the rack) and the rubber hose.

I called Holdcroft Honda for a price, as it's a Honda only part it seems... and whilst the rubber hose was only around £15-20... the metal pipe was quoted me at around £240.

This close to xmas, I simply don't have that kind of spare cash... one of the downsides to having a car with an MOT that runs out early Dec.. I've got a 600+ mile round trip to do soon, so the tyres are important, especially as I might be going somewhere with ICE/snowy conditions.

So I've stuck a post up in the marketplace to see if anyone has the metal pipe I need from a breaker... and I'm gonna have the rubber pipe replaced with a new one and hope that resolves the issue. If it doesn't then I might at least buy myself a few extra weeks needed to save up some extra cash.

But seriously.... £240 for a 8-10cm long piece of frickin pipe... that's just f'n disgusting.

2. Ichiban Retired The Domo Don

England CJ Leeds
    It is a lot of money but the part does work as there is a pressure reducer to regulate the hydraulic pressure . Another member has it repaired by a hose company and it vibrated, look for that thread it is what it is.

These car are coming to their twilight and genuine part price will go up year on year.

Heckler likes this.
  3. Heckler Community Staff Club H-Tune

It appears that it's not 3 pipes as I first thought, but a single pipe. From the look of the, it seems that the rubber pressure hose is press fitted to the metal pipes at either end.

I've done some more digging around and another member pointed me to a seller on ebay with second hand parts... I was then able to find a 3rd party supplier and am just waiting for confirmation that it's the right part for my car before getting one. The upside is that it's £46 instead £261.

Fingers crossed it's the correct part, as that's a £215 saving and I imagine labour at the garage isn't going to be more than £50-100.

4. SayamaAccord Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Cliff County Durham
    It it's the hose in your other thread it looks an easy DIY - two small bolts at one end and a spanner on the other, at worst a flare nut spanner, plus rags at either end to collect the spill.

5. Heckler Community Staff Club H-Tune

Unfortunately, due to a condition with my back I'm unable to get under a car anymore to do many simpler DIY jobs on my cars. The days of crawling over and under one to repair things has passed. :Frown:

What could have turned into a £350 job may now only be £140.... I'd still call that a win. :Smile:

6. SayamaAccord Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Cliff County Durham
    Ah ok - that hose is accessible from the bonnet, but would involve some forward leaning.

7. Heckler Community Staff Club H-Tune

Yeah, the top end is accessible from the top, but the rest would need to be accessed from underneath, probably removal of the under tray to access the steering rack.

8. Mark11 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Mark chesterfield
    the bottom of the pipe can be undone by taking just the wheel off and u can see the big nut a 17mm and 2 10 mm on the top thats it just wacth the pipes on ebay cos most off them have not got the pressure reducer in and then u will get problems i ad to get a pipe from honda . the pressure reducer is near the arrow on the pic

Attached Files:

SayamaAccord likes this.
  9. Heckler Community Staff Club H-Tune

I found the pipe online for £45.99.... £220 cheaper than getting it from Honda. Car is booked in for Thursday to have it done, getting an oil change and oil filter at the same time.

10. Mark11 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Mark chesterfield
    only put honda PSF in when u fill it back up

Ichiban likes this.
  11. Heckler Community Staff Club H-Tune

I'd already bought some Comma PSF when I had to top it off in the summer. Got the shop to check it was the right one for my car first though, so it's the same spcs as the Honda stuff... even comes in an almost identical bottle but with a different label on it... But was half the price.

Total cost of the job, including doing an oil change (with oil I provided) and the cost of the pipe was £144... the oil I bought 6 months ago for £42 for 7lts, so got another 1lt for top ups if needed over the next 12 months... Not that she seems to use that much oil. Topped it with about 3/4 of a lt in nearly 18 months so far.

Hopefully the tyres will be fine until the new year as I'm pretty tapped out with xmas in 10 days... the worst one should have at least 1000 miles left in it, the other more like 2000 miles. I'll get the rear done in Jan and put on the front.

12. TheHondaMan New Member Getting Started

United States TheHondaM Bronx, NY
    I also once had an issue with my steering fluid leaking, and the problem also appeared to be with the hose, which was totally worn out. First I thought of checking my local junkyards, but then realized that if I get something old, it may not last long and leak again. Honda wanted to charge me way too much, so I went ahead and got aftermarket power steering lines and I must say I sold my Civic with those lines, and the new owner still has no complaints about it.

13. TheHondaMan New Member Getting Started

United States TheHondaM Bronx, NY