General Poor Ground Clearance / Breakover Angle?

Discussion in '10th Generation (2016)' started by sc489, Tuesday 24th May, 2016.

1. Ichiban Retired The Domo Don

England CJ Leeds
    History has shown Honda cars are always jacked higher than the competition, but owners in their feedback to Honda have said if cars need in Europe we want it comparable to the other European cars. You don't need to look far on here in each section owners going for coilovers, lowering spewing just to get the stance right, which also improves handling.

Now people who are getting theirs knickers in twist over just a trivial matter, they have done what owners wanted!!.. If want ground clearance you should buy a HR-V or CR-V .The Civic is a drivers car it is not an off-roader.

andy83 likes this.
  2. sc489 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

How many of those modded cars have scraped their bottoms? I want a good handling saloon car with a decent not class leading ground clearance. I already have one - a 2006 CL7 Accord but it's getting old. Car designers in their wisdom keep lengthening the wheelbase and reducing the ground clearance forcing drivers like me to consider SUVs which I hate. Mazda still make good handling saloon cars with a decent ground clearance which why I've bought one (but I still have the Accord). There is nothing in the current Honda range which suits me which is sad since I've owned four Accords from new.

3. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    I think Honda have gone a bit too far in lowering the 10th Generation Civic, a clearance of 110mm fully loaded would be more appropriate value & similar to the 107mm for a fully loaded S2000. Honda dealer admitted buyers are going off diesel but HR-V with current naturally aspirated petrol version does not drive as well as diesel version so Honda at very least need to put the 1.0 129ps turbo petrol engine in the HR-V to help retain traditional Civic owners & attract new customers. I have never noticed any regular owners of current Civics on forums complaining that the car is too high & having to fit coilovers to reduce height.
    Others have mentioned shallow boot of 10th Generation Civic so this will limit size of dog/s that can fit in the boot now no magic seats.
    Immediately after a 30 mile test drive in 10th Generation Civic Sport I sat in an HR-V in the dealers showroom & felt more "at home" than in the Civic, which explains why SUV's are so universally popular.

AndyB1976 likes this.
  4. Ichiban Retired The Domo Don

England CJ Leeds
    I have a Apec Honda lowering kit on my 07 Tourer with 115K miles with 18 inch wheels low profile tyres and I have never had it bottoming on any speed breaker or inclined bank loaded and unloaded. Your argument is based on perception and no hard facts. You also need have some skill to know how to adapt your driving you can't charge like ragging bull and expect to get away with it and expect "Adquate ground clearance " LOL

andy83 likes this.
  5. sc489 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I do have hard facts since I've had cars before scrape their underside on the steep drive I have. It's probably a badly designed drive but difficult to fix.

SayamaAccord likes this.
  6. Ichiban Retired The Domo Don

England CJ Leeds
    Can I ask how do you approach inclined surfaces? i suggest you have a look at SUV offroading YouTube clips you will soon find there is a skill and knack how you approach these surfaces.

Look at the approach angle.. it sounds like a driver skill issue.

Gey yourself one of these and you will soon learn the art
    Single.

andy83 likes this.
  7. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
  8. Ichiban Retired The Domo Don

England CJ Leeds
    Honda owners are generally the most clued up out there they don't need spoon feeding.. VW well they have to transparent after their corporate lies.

andy83 likes this.
  9. Ichiban Retired The Domo Don

England CJ Leeds
    Here a few good technique on slammed cars if you can't do it with stock ride height then build ramps..lol

tomwillie likes this.
  10. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Thanks @Ichiban I have to drive my Type-R GT over pavement at an oblique angle which is easy to do where I live but otherwise would have to do the manoeuvre shown in your video. Honest John has replied that 10th Generation Civic has been on sale in Thailand & USA for over a year now & he is not aware of any problems caused by low ground clearance.
    There is a high sleeping policeman that protects a pedestrian crossing in an access road at a local hospital & I can drive my Type-R over it by virtually coming to a stop at start of ramp then go over at less than 5mph.
    The video manoeuver would not be possible in such a location.
    I'll see if I can test drive the new Civic over this hump & also directly across footpath to my house without grounding.

11. andy83 H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    the Civic as it as been said is a drivers car and should be driven to suit how its been designed which is for on road and good low CG and handling in my mind people should drive to suit style of car sorry if any of this is wrong just how I see it.
    thanks
    andy

12. Ichiban Retired The Domo Don

England CJ Leeds
    We can safely say this myth is busted . A poor workman blames his tools, never blames himself.

Honda bravo [emoji1319]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13. BB Baboonface Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom James Chesterfield
    Think sc489 does raise a valid point when taken from the particular perspective of having to regularly negotiate a steep transitioning incline, that will obviously be an issue for some potential buyers.
    Perhaps the demise of the Accord in the UK market is the real fault of Honda if any.

Kind of interested about finding the break over angle on my (30mm ish) lowered EV1 now too! Not had too many problems in general, the only one being the humps on our road that are meant to be straddled by buses etc. The parking issues mean that buses have to go right over them, causing there to be dips in the surface on either side. Banged the cat on them a few times when forced to straddle them (in the car!) while meeting traffic.
    Check me with the cool story bro! lol.

14. Ichiban Retired The Domo Don

England CJ Leeds
    Just seen the new Civic advert on ITV , simple and effective.

andy83 likes this.
  15. SayamaAccord Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Cliff County Durham
    Two well-informed posters on this thread have "done the math" in support of what they are saying so personally I wouldn't find responses along the lines of "It's a Honda so it'll be okay" enough of a reassurance if I was a potential buyer.

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 25th Feb, 2017
    BB Baboonface likes this.
  16. Ichiban Retired The Domo Don

England CJ Leeds
    Maths lol means jack when slammed cars can do same without any issues . Theory is one thing casting assertions on something in real life is different.
    A lot of standing on the sidelines without even testing driving the car.

BB Baboonface and andy83 like this.
  17. SayamaAccord Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Cliff County Durham
    Hopefully Honda's engineers have considered this in relation to UK speedbumps car park ramps etc. and it won't be a problem.

We'll find out from the forums and the press in the next few months.

honda_saj and BB Baboonface like this.
  18. sc489 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just to be clear, I enclose a photo of the steep drive in question. The steepest change in angle is at the top of the drive. There is only one approach angle and it's impractical to modify the drive. I did consider buying a Lexus IS300H which has a breakover angle of 11.02 degrees. There was a scraping from the underbody when this car was driven very slowly into the drive. Both my 2006 Accord (12.8 degrees) and my father's Nissan Note (12.7 degrees) handle the drive with sufficient clearance. There is no way the new Civic having a breakover angle of only 9.33 degrees (much worse than the Lexus) would ever cope with a drive like this. I've now bought a Mazda 3 Sport Fastback having a breakover angle of 13.1 degrees which can handle the drive. The Mazda 3 is by the way considered a driver's car despite having a decent ground clearance / breakover angle. There is the hard evidence.

Attached Files:

19. FirstHonda H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    There is actually a mixture of fact (the various break-over angles) and opinion presented as fact (that the Mazda is considered a 'driver's car'). Sorry, it's the pedant in me...

I'll repeat what I said earlier in the thread - you have a specific requirement, and the Civic won't work for that requirement. You've found something that does, which is good. However, it is a niche requirement. I moved house last year, and must have looked at 50+ properties. I didn't see a single driveway like that.

On the other hand, I can also see that the limited ground clearance might be an issue in some multi-storey car parks. Time will tell whether this is an issue or not, hopefully not.

I'll stick with my SUV where there aren't any such issues! Well, apart from height restrictions sometimes lol.

Ichiban likes this.
  20. legend-ary Community Staff Club H-Tune

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    That is steep!
    But I have never seen such an garage entry before. Can't blame you for prioritising breakover angles.

Ichiban and BB Baboonface like this.