Polo 16v's

Discussion in 'Lounge & Gossip' started by karl2k86, Monday 7th Dec, 2009.

1. karl2k86 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Just a general question on these, has anyone owned one? What are they like to drive? economy? reliability? I love my Civic, but I've always been tempted with the 16v polo (around a 98/99 spec), just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them?

2. darkside Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

MK
    Never owned one but drove a few

Reliable, pretty nippy but insurance is expensive IIRC

1.4 16v 100hp

3. James Rowe Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They are OK, pretty strong. Had mates with them before.

4. johnb25-6 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

chocolate gearboxes

5. Andy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

^ That's the GTi's isn't it?

6. krs1 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

shit water pumps! they love to overheat brother in-law loves them had 4 all have had water pump fail on them, electrics like to play up, gearbox's aint the best, if your gonna get one make sure its off an old lady NOT a young lad!

7. willuk2009 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

^^x2

i fought they was wooden to drive,

had one for 7 months, had flat spots, misfires, clutch went, had overheating, gear making whining noises, then head gasket went only on 57,000miles And i bought of a old lady,

8. seanyreeves Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

they do shift for what they are though, my mate had one with over 120k on it and it kept up with my esi to 70.

9. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

overheat as said, its usually the thermostat housing that breaks making the thermostat stick closed. also the usual interior trim doesnt wear well at all, cupholders break and headlights go misty and discolour. they suffer from gearbox oil leaks from the selector rod seals. the gearboxs are shite, and a bastard to get out also. the rivets round the diff break and float around the box eating everything they come in contact with and eventually bang their way through the casing.

they are good little cars other than silly problems. i just got my bro a 2000 gti, with xzenons, A/C, electrics all round, headlamp washers and genuine bbs splits, we paid 1600 instead of the 2k the bloke wanted. they seem to start around 2k and go up from there, they arent that common as they were pricey new!

10. HotPinkBabe Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Get a punto sporting 16v :Wink:

11. aji621 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Adam Colchester
    4151284154_f55553828c.

Honestly they are great fun little cars to drive. no word of a lie.

12. Andy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's a 5th Generation, 4th Generation ftw!

DSC01494a.

13. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

and walk everywhere

14. kellsled Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

mod your Civic mate better car IMO

15. gumbar Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

There ok, i had a go in my mates, that was on coilovers and it did stick to the road but every1 says there quicker than ej9's but mine was always ahead of his and his mates polos. But then i spose u don't realy buy a 1.4 for performance. Whatever you do, don't get a punto! Lol

16. Bong Guest

My mates Mrs had one for a cheap run around, no history and it went 6 months without missing a beat, he sold it on for more than he paid for it

17. haggis Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i had 1600 polo 4th Generation

123,000 on the clock

replaced the clutch, serviced it, done the timing belt (waterpump included, VAGs are notoriously bad for pumps going)...nothing much else went wrong other than consumables

broke the gearbox (my own silly fault) and couldn't find a proper replacement and ended up with a 1.0l box in it (accelerated like fuck :lol: )

other than that, it was a cracking wee motor for a first car....pumped saxo VTRs and all your other regular "first" cars (being 17 thats all i cared about :lol: )

i don't think i'd have another but.....i've grown to despise VAGs :Smile:

18. karl2k86 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Lots of good responses for me to think about! Insurance is no bother for me, the reason I like them is they look ok as stock, tax is cheap, and performance is ok. From the sounds of it, they've got there good points, but quite a few bad points, also having a quick look on ebay/pistonheads etc, most have been modified.

Performance wise? A 1.4 is hardly going to set the world on fire, but for what they are, there not too bad.

My main concern would be buying one and spending a fortune on it, where as it would be used as a daily runner, nothing more. The GTI's are alot nicer, but the cost of them is alot more.