General Personal update and reason i have been away.

Discussion in 'Lounge & Gossip' started by 1066Boy, Saturday 15th Dec, 2018.

1. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

Before you jump to any conclusions, no i have not been in prison. :shock:
    Back at the beginning of the year, a good friend of mine who has mental health problems
    was chatting to me and said how he always felt better by getting out of town and into
    the countryside. From this a plan started to formulate. He started a support group on
    FaceBook. The aim was just getting a few like minded people together for a walk in the woods.
    By around March the group was growing fast and he asked me to join the group as an admin and
    support staff. I did not know much about MH but i am experienced in outdoors stuff.
    It has taken up far more of my time than 1st thought because of the group has got much bigger
    and I have been arranging overnight camps in the woods etc. Its tough sometime but rewarding.
    I started a YouTube channel to film some of my walks and camps just for the group but others seem
    interested in my rubbish videos too. :Smile: So if I go quiet again its probably because a member of the group
    has had a bit of a wobble and I have taken them off for a spot of camping. :Niceone:

Harvey, Heckler, Nels and 4 others like this.
  2. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    Mate are a true gent and great to hear what you have been up to and helping others, nothing better than being in the countryside:Smile:...

1066Boy likes this.
  3. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks for that Andy. Been camping rain or shine most of the year. Even in the stormy weather last weekend.

andy83 likes this.
  4. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    mate your welcome sometimes going to the countryside and back to basics can be more help than people know :Smile:

1066Boy likes this.
  5. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's a great service you are doing @1066Boy and what a great concept!

Do you have a link to your YouTube channel?

honda_saj likes this.
  6. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

I have resurrected my old channel from my off road days. My YouTube name is Jim-Bob Suzuki. Can also be found on google videos
    by searching under that name. Its shocking how many ex-forces we have in the group with PTSD. :Frown:

honda_saj likes this.
  7. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's saddening to hear :Frown:

8. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

Group now has around 350 members and we are gaining around 10 a week. Its a private group
    so this growth is all word of mouth.

9. Nighthawk Club Moderator Club Staff

Full credit where its due @1066Boy . As someone who currently suffers from complex PTSD, you have my full respect. Ironically, its hard to reach out for support when you need it the most. Im a huge advokate of encouraging challenging the stigma around mental health

k20a3 likes this.
  10. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

Feel free to PM me. :Wink:

11. Nighthawk Club Moderator Club Staff

Im good man. Personally there is no reason to hide any of this from public view. Mental health is real, and in some way, so much worse that physical injuries.

If you break your leg, everyone csn relate to that even if they havent broken anything before. They will understand you can't run etc. And at some point, a medical professional will be able to give you an ETA on when things will be better.

With mental health, there is no ETA on healing. Just because you cannot see it, doesnt mean the injury isnt there. Sometimes it doesnt even make sense to the person suffering. Its worse than a psychical injury. It consumes you hourly, and noone can see it. Its scary. Its overwhelming and you suffer largely in silence. The stigma needs challenging.

Good on you...keep it up. Its the small insignificant things people do which means the world to people like me.

Complete and utter respect from me

andy83 and 1066Boy like this.
  12. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Me and Pottermiss are in to camping in a big way. However, our idea of camping is very different to yours it seems.

honda_saj and 1066Boy like this.
  13. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

I am more of a "wild camper" as its now known. I have been in the woods most of my life on and off.
    Originally, being a country boy it was hunting. Then when older it was working. Now its just for
    fun and photos. :Smile:

14. Nighthawk Club Moderator Club Staff

I've always loved nature - give me my mountain, the beach and the sun and I will sit there all day and watch the ocean.

1066Boy likes this.
  15. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

I recently spent a few hours watching Fallow deer and Wild boar feeding, from the comfort of my hammock. :Smile:

16. Nighthawk Club Moderator Club Staff

@1066Boy - I invite you to feel free to talk about mental health if you feel the need to in here. And knowing @Leo at H-Tune and @SpeedyGee the way that I do, I am confident they will say the same thing.

Personally, it forced me to find strength that I never knew existed, and it has, over the past few years, humbled me. No matter how big or strong you think you are, everyone has a limit.

Nature is immensely theraputic - it is so calming, so non judgemental. Maybe Il come join you one day

1066Boy likes this.
  17. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

I myself am not really a sufferer. I was asked to help in the group for organising events etc.
    But saying that, I believe we all have our own MH problems just we don't always recognize it.

andy83 and Nighthawk like this.
  18. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    Wow @1066Boy that's amazing stuff man. Hats off to you man. Some good work you did there :Hey:

19. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

Thankyou for your kind words Sam. :Smile:

DrSam likes this.
  20. rimmo Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Charlie Brigg North Lincs
    @1066Boy. Thank you for what you are doing to help people with mental health issues, you have my greatest respect.
    My eldest son was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome in his late teens after suffering with depression for many years before diagnosis.
    Mental health problems especially among the younger generation seems to me at least to be on the increase and anything that can be done to help raise awareness can only be a good thing.
    So once again I thank you and please keep up the good work.

andy83 and 1066Boy like this.