Personal statements for University :(

Discussion in 'Lounge & Gossip' started by civic_bitch, Monday 28th Dec, 2009.

1. civic_bitch Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hey guys

I need desperate help!! Decided to apply to uni and the deadline is 15th January.. Only probs is I need a personal statement and havent a friggan clue about what to write or anything about it.. I know you talk about and sell yourself but I so can't do that, lol

Anyway, Im applying for Midwifery/ Paediatric nursing so any help or examples would be greatly appreciated... I work 14hr shifts every week so hardly have time... This is the only thing left I need to do and hopefully ill get an interview

Thanking you all in advance

Ashleigh & Frank the wank

2. super_sonic_blue Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

im in the same boat its a pain in the ass, what i did was make a list/spider diagram of what i wanted to write about, then take each one and write about it then link them and put them together, once you put everything down you end up having to cut it down because its too long but good luck

3. civic_bitch Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Aye a know, im on looking at personal statements on the net, lol... Give you a brief idea :Smile:

4. Bon Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I never did one??

I applied in august and got in, in September, on the same year....

5. civic_bitch Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Dunno how coz you deffo have to do one these days... especially if you applying through UCAS... :?

6. Bon Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Oh maybe thats why then, lol.

7. ID-Workz Commercial Services Trader

Yeah it's a bitch. I'd recommend some thorough Google searches :Tongue: worked for me when I applied!

8. Tommy3G Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

9. BigJames Commercial Services Trader

I didnt bother with UCAS

I applied at the beginning os sept and moved in to halls at on the 26th....

A personal statement is just to put you ahead of other applicants so if you have experience.... brag about it!

10. Loony Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You have to link it up to the course you are hoping to do and why you picked it...i.e personal interests and maybe some examples of experience relating to the course etc. Keep things simple and sell sell sell yourself. Im sure UCAS has a guide on what to put into them from what I remember when I applied 2 years ago

11. Ross. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Too many smart people on here :Frown:lol

12. Towelie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

i need to get mine done as well i have been putting it off for a few weeks know, a lot of my freinds who have already gone to uni, said to add a famous quote of somesort and write about, im not entirely sure but apparently its meant to help. good luck to everyone doing it tho, im rubbish at wrighting, can't wait to get it out the way thats for sure

Anz

13. Loony Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Definetly wouldn't recommend that...They want to see what you are all about,not how well you can quote people. You will do enought of that in your assignments :Tongue:

14. captain_sl0w Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Personal statements are not hard and its all a bit trivial really. Its pretty easy to reel off a few hundred words about yourself. If you don't have adequate examples to demonstrate teamwork, initiative, responsibility, charitability and a commitment to learning and bettering yourself - then make them up. By 21 surely you've written one or to an extent given the verbal equivalent at a job interview?

I think half the point of them is an interest in seeing how well you write, which for many hopeful students is laughable.

Last edited by a moderator: Tuesday 29th Dec, 2009
  15. Site Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

meh...im hoping to apply for this september....im not using that ucas bollocks...im just going to contact the course organiser person and show them a portfolio and just hope....

16. Loony Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Site since when have you decided to go to uni? If you can't get in now, theres also clearance in May time...or whenever the A2 results come out. Plenty of good course up for grabs :Smile: what are you going to study?

17. Site Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

photography mate...i only decided to go as i can't find work...and im not working in a pub for the next few years...fuck that....i would rather bum it at uni doing photography or art....and im just hoping portfolio based work will get me in as my grades were well... a bit slacking :Grin:

18. Loony Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Uni is amazing fun :Grin: and yeah fuck pub work, its long! Although you will probably find yourself working in some sort of bar part time to give you beer money :Tongue:

Do it while you can, its worth it...and you have the rest of your life to work anyway

19. Site Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

yep....I've got my personal license now as well...so it can't be to hard for me to find a job in a bar/pub....but yer I will do that 2 maybe 3 nights a week to earn some car or as you said beer tokens....

20. civic_bitch Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yeah I kn ow they not hard but I find it really hard putting things into words and explaining things regarding myself, lol...

Im guna read through a few and try piece summit together in my spare time. You also say that you have to do it towards the course you want yeah?? What shud I sort of write coz Im applying for childrens nursing OR Midwifery... I've picked 2 options...

Thanks again

Ashleigh