Civic/8th Gen Paul West's Tuned FN2

Discussion in 'Project & Modification Logs' started by TDi North, Monday 30th Nov, 2009.

1. TDi North Commercial Services Trader

Hallo 8th Generation Civic owners!!

Just like to post up some pics of my freinds project FN2 Type-R

Had the car for nearly 2 years, and it has been in this current state of tune for over 6 months now.

Car was built and tuned by myself and Paul West (owner)

Paul tuned the car on the Hondata Flash pro, and the car is now making 240+ HP N/A!

Spec..

GruppeM carbon fiber airbox and scoop

RRC intake manifold

Hondata Heatshield gasket

TDI-North Race header (4-2 2-1)

HKS Cat back exhaust (restrictive and rattles :Angry:)

Hondata Flash pro ECU

Eibach PRO springs

Ferodo pads

Stoptech discs

TDI-North suspension geometry set with Eibach shims

I will try to get some power graphs up ASAP, we have tested sooooooo many products for the FN2, and this is the best comvbination that we came up with.

Enjoy :Grin:

2. no1carper Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

looks good how do you get a cold air feed to the filter?

3. Chinglish Peasant Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom George Lomdon
    under the bonnet there is a carbon fibre panel that rams air from the front of the bonnet to that hole. Awesome peice of design!

4. kahn_v Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

looks Boomting..

5. iceman Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

see this around warrington quite often, was it supercharged first ? ill be honest in that still skeptical about about gains the k gets from basic bolts and map, what was torque curve like ?

havin said that difference I've seen between basic k engined car v same car with few bolt on mods/map is very noticeable

6. TDi North Commercial Services Trader

^^ no, the car hasn't been supercharges yet, thats probably next on the list.

7. TDi North Commercial Services Trader

Ill post some power graphs up soon.

If you have seen it first hand what the gains are like, why still skeptical?

I have seen over 40hp gained without touching the engine internals on a K20a/2

8. Chinglish Peasant Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom George Lomdon
    Just an example for thought, my car is totally standard, though only a EP3, with only a cat back and test pipe, I got 207bhp which is awesome, and I am still on the standard airbox, that might help clear things up a lil bit.

9. iceman Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i know what i posted contradicts itself, i just don't have ep/fn etc myself to see first hand but figures prove me wrong over and over again (im a b series nut and deep down havnt come to terms of goin to k yet :Wink: )

have friend who has been involved in high end k series development from internal to external components for couple years now who should have his results in race car viewable mid next year i imagine, ill prob give in then

10. TDi North Commercial Services Trader

^^ lol, I was exactly the same about 3 years ago, I just wouldn't accept that a k series was superior. Most B series fan boys like myself go through the same thing!

What sort of race car is it?

11. iceman Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

DC5, can't say much/don't know much myself but pretty radical thinking behind it, itll be well known once testing begins next year but very few parts will be of the shelf, all custom made/designed/modified

12. TDi North Commercial Services Trader

^^ cool m8, can't wait to see it! is it a circuit race car?

13. iceman Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

yes, owner not 100% yet what series he will enter, prob won't be tested until around spring i imagine

14. sdots Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Nice car :Grin:

Am I right in saying that is still uses a live rear axle? because you've only changed the springs.

Would coilovers not be a better option to convert it to independent suspension or am I just being stupid?

15. TDi North Commercial Services Trader

^ yes m8, it still runs the original rear beam setup, original dampers with the Eibach pro springs.

It's not really feasable to do an independant setup at the back, as there are no other honda's which share the same chassis as the FN2 and has an independant setup, which means you would have to do some sort of custom setup which is going to cost you a small fortune.

Or, you could just buy the 5 door FD2 which has an awesome chassis to start with!

You would be better off fiiting coilovers, but for the money, the springs are hard to beat for great ride charcteristics, and this isn't really a race car, just a daily driver with some stickers on :Tongue:

FWIW, all of the Vauxhall astra BTCC cars ran with a solid rear axle setup similar to the FN2, and they were definatley no match for the DC5's of that era

When they switched to the Vectra, they had independant rear suspension, and kicked ass when the FN2 was brought into BTCC, as it didnt have the IRS.

But for a day to day car, no one in the right mind would see the benefits of a custom IRS setup, especially when its gunna cost at least 3k :O

16. sdots Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ah I see, I wasn't aware it cost that much to convert it all. Especially at approx. 3K, that's mental loll

Well all the best to you guys, it's certainly a nice daily. :Smile:

17. TDi North Commercial Services Trader

Bump. Iceman, any news on that DC5?

18. maj1nboo Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

im sure banzai tested an FD against an fn and in the high speed corners they preferred the axle

19. baz_ctr Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

the gruppe m airbox looks the business was there much more gains to be had with it fitted compared to same type fitted to EP3

20. typeRtony Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nice. don't see too many tuned fn2s.