Electrical & Lights Parasitic battery drain through Backup, ACC 30A fuse

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by moranb, Monday 7th Jan, 2019.

1. moranb Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Brian Dundalk
    Hi everyone,

new to this forum and already have read some very interesting posts so thanks in advance!!

Reason I am hear is I have a parasitic battery drain. Using a mulitmeter i have identified the guilty circuit from testing the battery current at the fuse box. The identified fuse (#15 under hood) is a 30A labelled as Backup, ACC. My model doesn't have ACC but i am wondering if someone could help me with what the backup relates to. Can I just pull this fuse and carry one?

I cannot locate a wiring diagram to dig further without having to pay a subscription fee

any help greatly appreciated
    Brian

honda_saj likes this.
  2. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi Brian,

I'll try and look something up for you this evening.

moranb likes this.
  3. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    Hi every fuse in egnine is fused again in footwell, you need to pull fuses in footwell one by one ACC = accesory by the way

moranb likes this.
  4. JapCar Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Bristol
    Usual suspect in similar cases is blue tooth module, find it underneath center of dash board and disconnect plug. Then try again testing.

Nighthawk and honda_saj like this.
  5. moranb Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Brian Dundalk
    Thanks Saj, I was assuming ACC was adaptive cruise control. Ill give it a go checking the footwell fuses tonight
    rgds
    Brian
    - - - Updated - - -
    Thanks JapCar, I thought that could be a real possiblity as this has HFT has stopped completely in recent months. Spotted a couple of threads on this too so looks like I have some real poking around to do!
    rgds
    Brian

JapCar and honda_saj like this.
  6. Nels Club Moderator Club Staff

HFT is the most likely cause.
    Let us know how you get on @moranb

7. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Even if bluetooth was causing issue you can disconnect all footwell fuses until excess current draw disappears.

8. moranb Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Brian Dundalk
    Hi all, back for more help!
    So I hooked up multimeter in series again today, detecting same drain. This time I went to fuse box in footwell. The fuse of choice was #6 interior light. I tried removing all bulbs but couldn’t locate the problem. I tried the doorlights, both dome bulbs and central roof light. The vanity mirrors don’t have bulbs installed. Also took out glove box bulb even though I don’t think that’s on circuit. Have I missed anything, is there any other bulbs on this circuit that I missed?

Thanks
    Brian

honda_saj likes this.
  9. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

Unplug the bluetooth module - and then check the power drain. 9 times out of 10, this is the culprit on cars that age now, and its a quick easy check without the need to over complicate the troubleshooting process.

Remove the top shroud, unplug the HFT module, replace the shroud, and then monitor over the next coming days.

moranb and honda_saj like this.
  10. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

You can sometimes fix the BT module using the baking method... there's a thread called the Great British Bluetooth Bake Of' around here somewhere with all the details... I've tried it and it works.

moranb and honda_saj like this.
  11. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
  12. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You didnt specify if removing fuse 6 removed load, as most have said on here bluetooth is common culprit and the baking method fixes dry joints and most times get bluetooth unit working again.
    - - - Updated - - -
    PM me for wiring diagram in case i forget

moranb likes this.
  13. moranb Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Brian Dundalk
    A big thank you to all who offered advice. I pulled out the Bluetooth module and current drain dropped to 0amps. I also tried baking the circuit boards and bingo, car phone connection working again!

There still is a current present once the restored module went in but hopefully that is running right it will sort itself out.

I’ll monitor the charging over next few days and come back with update

Thanks again to all for the help. Next on the list is the VSA error

honda_saj and DrSam like this.
  14. JapCar Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Bristol
    It could't be 0 Amps, ECU, remote control/alarm modules drain some..., so about 0.04A (30-50mA) is normal.

15. moranb Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Brian Dundalk
    Splitting hairs now JapCar, dropped to 0.02A if you must know :Smile:

16. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

search for VSA you will find lots of info HDS will be a great tool to diagnose

moranb likes this.
  17. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

The baking method doesn't always work... but if you've got a knackered module anyway... it's not exactly gonna hurt. Mine now works and no more battery drain. But I am constantly monitoring it and I may be replacing the battery anyway as it's pretty old on the new car.

moranb, Nighthawk and honda_saj like this.
  18. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

@moranb - Good work, result.

Whats up with the VSA? (Sorry if I missed it)

moranb likes this.
  19. moranb Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Brian Dundalk
    Bluetooth working fine now, even ignition starts immediately. All going good so far

VSA warning light has been on for years. Dealer in NI told me the electronic module was dead and wanted £1000 to fit a new one. NCT (Irish MOT) doesn’t fail with light on so I’ve never bothered with it. Read a thread on here about reading error message using 9-4 method, might give it a go. Hopefully it’s just an error message that I can wipe

20. moranb Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Brian Dundalk
    Just dropping a note to say the Bluetooth bake-off tip has worked perfectly. Car still running smooth without any battery drain. Thanks again guys for the help.

Unfortunately, my car failed NCT this week (Irish MOT). Sailed through for everything but they finally pulled me on the VSA light. This is the 6th test with it on and only now they mentioned it. Guess I need to start looking into that now. Just tried the paper clip ABS code flashing but code I’m counting isn’t on the list provided. Any help guys?