opinions - 03 WRX with problems

Discussion in 'Lounge & Gossip' started by al9955, Saturday 28th Nov, 2009.

1. al9955 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

dudes!, just thought id see what others though with regards to an offer I've had, basically its on 03 WRX w/prodrive pack (blob eye shape no bug eye) for

2. Bong Guest

Depends on how much of a budget you have to sort it and what the problem actually is, its a risk, you could buy it and have it sorted and get a bargain out of it or you could end up stuck with a car you can't sell on and will cost a fortune to fix

Do you know any local scooby places?

What I would do as there is a local place to me is ask the seller if you can book it in for diagnostic before buying

3. al9955 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

^TBH dude that kinda what i was thinking, the difficulty its a car trader we use through work, he already has the car sold to another trader, but offered it to me as he knew i was looking for something for my missus's, so i either take the plunge or i just forget it and keep looking, its annoying as i can't really make my mind up what to do!!

the only local scooby place to me is GDA, which i know my friend has used

al9955

4. Bong Guest

Snookered mate, personally I would forget it

Does it have to be a scooby? wouldn't mind a bug eye WRX myself, keep eyeing them up, keep eyeing a lot of things up TBH! AWD is something else though, if its AWD you want you thought of an Audi Quattro Sport 1.8 20VT?

5. al9955 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

TBH i prefer this as its the later blob eye shape, and being totally honest dude, I've never even concidered a scooby, a bit of chav wagon if you ask me, it was more a case of buying it, de chaving it and sorting the problem, the flogging it on for a decent profit, which means my missus will only be a few K short of the 350Z that she wants!, not really to keep it!

al9955

6. Bong Guest

Ah comprendeh, I am a chav though so its all good for me, got the gold chain and everything y0

350Z's are nice cars, I hope to meet a girl like yours! Good luck with it

7. robdob437 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

did you not open the bonnet and take a look to see if you can fault the problem? personally if the car is worth 6k+ its not going to cost you 2.5k to put it right. unless you give it to a garage to do. id probably take it.

whats the millage?

8. al9955 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

milage is 70K with FSSH, i had a little route around, all looked fine, nothing that was ovious TBH, i noticed from routing around it had the Prodrive pack fitted, which is a bonus, though its been "chaved" slightly, with a forge dumb valve and a matching blue CAI, limo tints and white racing stripes :O , nothing that can't be corrected though!

I've decided to just take the plunge, as said, i can't really loose money on it, i im sure i could sell it on with the problem for what I've paid, so id like to tihnk i can't loose, i hope!

al9955

9. Bong Guest

I'd laugh if it was just in limp or something :rofl:

10. al9955 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

TBH so would i dude, and im hoping it will be something as dumb as that, then i will LMAO :Tongue: , though i don't have much luck with cars.................

apparently the previous owner said "thats how its always been", sounds like a right dumbass!!

al9955

11. civicsport04 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

has it got an oiled induction kit or panel filter fitted as these can mess the air flow meter up. best things to is check the basic air fuel and compression first.

12. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i was going to say airmass meters are common on scoobs

13. clive Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd go for it man

14. alex Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I was going to say surely a simple diagnostics check would find out whatever the problem is?

Dunno if you can Toyota stylee it though and use a paperclip.

15. al9955 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

yeah that has been one of the suggestions, along with a coil pack (though i don't belive this is the case) the wastgate on the turbo stuck open, the lambda sensor acting up, so i don't think im gunna find out either way until its plugged in and ready to scare me!! :Tongue:

im picking it up thursday, so i will get some pics up of it in its chav state!, then i will de chav it :Grin:

al9955

16. omp Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Deffo Check the MAF, it went on my dads classic scoob, although it idled like a bag of shit when it went

17. Ross. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Can't wait to see you get to work on this al :Smile: and remember if the engine is fucked then you can go to the scooby clinic for a Ej25 swap :Grin: haha

18. MugenRich Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's a UK WRX? They are gutless anyway, with only something like 240hp as standard, matched with the worlds most power draining AWD system, they don't go quickly.

As already mentioned, could be up the creek, especially if it's got a vent to air BOV and a CAI. Scoobs really don't like those mods as standard, and it's the route cause of the MAF's going.

70k, I'd be getting underneath and listening for knocking. around the 80k mark the oil pumps go, knocking the entire engine out.(have fun with that)

Gearbox will probably go shortly too if it's been chaved up. Stupidly weak here. 3rd gear being the main problem, as it's at the top of the gearbox and is the last gear to get oil. The gearbox should have it's dipstick located around the back of the topmount IC. Also the only place to fill it from.

19. Bong Guest

Lets be honest, 99.9% of your post is bull shit

20. MugenRich Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Lets be honest I speak with 100% experience and my post is 100% fact. go read up on scoobynet then go buy your scoob.

Your post is 100% bollocks on that bassis