General Only 4 Star NCAP Rating

Discussion in '10th Generation (2016)' started by tomwillie, Monday 21st Aug, 2017.

1. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    The 10th Generation Honda Civic only gets a 4 Star NCAP rating.

The reasons appear to be for:
    1) Excessive seat belt loads on rear passengers, adult & child.
    2) Child can suffer hard contact in side impact.
    3) Rear head-restraints cause excessive force on neck.

I think these issues could be sorted to obtain 5 Star NCAP rating by use of:
    1) Load limiting seat belts for rear passengers.
    2) Deeper deploying side air bags in rear of car.
    3) Redesign of rear head-restraints as it is a geometric problem.

I enquired of Honda UK Customer relations if Honda were going to rectify the safety issues so as to obtain a 5 Star NCAP rating but have been advised they do not intend to do so.

Rather disappointed by Honda's response as the Civic is a family car, child safety is important and rival manufacturers are achieving 5 Star NCAP ratings.

2. i-DSI Evangelist H-Tune Community

Belgium Aalst
    Interesting. In the past (10...5 years ago) Honda did all they could to achieve the 5 star rating and they were pride on it.
    Times change.

3. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    The 10th Generation Civic was designed in Japan which may explain why only 4 Stars NCAP. The newer NCAP test now has dummies in back representing older children who do not sit in child seats which have integral head side protection so side air bags are more important than in older test. The Civic does get excellent test results in USA, its main market, for front passengers. In USA no dummies at all are used in rear seats. In Australia they are considering adopting NCAP test regime regarding type of child dummies in rear seats.

4. i-DSI Evangelist H-Tune Community

Belgium Aalst
    That might explain it, indeed. In fact you can read your explanation as: 'We, Honda, do not care that much about the EU market.'. And I can understand that too. Only a few % of their turn over is made in EU. Why bother.

5. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    In both USA & Australia the 10th Generation Civic achieves 5 star top ratings for safety. In USA one of the two rating bodies tests for roll over & rear end collision. In me post on Honda R & D in USA the Civic was thoroughly crash tested during development:
    https://h-tune.co.uk/club/threads/honda-r-d-ohio-usa.185343/

6. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
  7. Ichiban Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England CJ Leeds
    Here you go stop this endless debate.

Attached Files:

tomwillie and andy83 like this.
  8. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    When I emailed Honda UK customer services enquiring if the new safety features will be applied to Civic Type-R they advised to ask local dealer. Another Honda dealer said they would only ask same people & they themselves are not impressed with Honda UK customer services.

9. Ichiban Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England CJ Leeds
    Tom with my love for all things Honda it hurts me to say this HUK does not have a clue what the department 2 feet next to it is doing they are compartmentalised desk robots without a ounce of grey cell. You are wasting your time with kids who have no clue!

andy83 likes this.
  10. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    10th Generation Civic now in top ten safest cars tested by euro NCAP:
    Top 10 safest cars revealed

I assume Honda will release a similar TSB for the FK8 Civic Type-R if they get around to incorporating these upgrades.
    Be helpful if this could be posted should Type-R be upgraded.

11. Ichiban Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England CJ Leeds
    FK8 is not listed in that TSB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andy83 likes this.