Tools OEM Honda tools

Discussion in 'Tools & Equipment' started by markcivic1981, Saturday 5th Jan, 2019.

1. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi everyone.

Is it possible to buy OEM Honda tools anywhere in the U.K ? I'm looking into removing the valve guides in my pr3 head ( b16a ) and would like to take them out myself. It appears Honda make a guide drift ( part number 07742-0010100 ). I'm finding it hard to track one down.

Any help would be excellent.

Thanks

2. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    have you tried honda dealers ?

3. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    You can remove them without using any special tools, here's one example

Actually, this guy only moved the guide back and forth but the technique should work fine for removing the whole guide as long as the 3/8 long socket is thinner than the guide.

honda_saj likes this.
  4. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've found them forsale in the states, but when I tried the U.K dealers some were showing that part number as a bearing puller. I don't want to risk buying the wrong part.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I have seen that video, but it appears abit risky. I'd rather have the right tool for the job. If I can't buy one I'll get the measurements and make my own.

honda_saj likes this.
  5. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    Speak to honda technician they must have some they use and be able to tell you corrrect part number.

6. Beefy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Not all tools are mandatory and kept at all dealerships. Very rare dealers get head work now a days so not work buying that sort of tool, we would order it in using the loan tool program that’s available to dealership only.

honda_saj likes this.
  7. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

Ah yes, that is indeed a much better option than following the process in the video.

If you got the means to make the tool, it would be easy to make on a lathe.

Would love to see the resultant tool if you do decide to make it.

honda_saj likes this.
  8. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks for the replies guys ! I've found the measurements of a suitable drift, so can now make one. Best get dad to fire up the lathe ( I'll be on tea making duties ! )

honda_saj likes this.
  9. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

Wish I had access to a lathe :Smile:

In between making tea, please take some pictures :Grin:

honda_saj likes this.
  10. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

HAHA! I'll try. We make loads of bits and bobs in the garden shed. Its awesome !

honda_saj likes this.
  11. cat-guy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

cat-guy United Kingdom
  12. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ideally I'd need one with a 28mm - 30mm tip of 5.4mm - 5.5mm diameter. I'm sure we'll have something here to make one the exact size needed.

All the same, thanks for finding that link

honda_saj likes this.
  13. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

Which lathe do you have?

markcivic1981 and honda_saj like this.
  14. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Dad has a Myford. Its an oldy but a goody ( the lathe isn't bad either ! ) Hes bloody good at anything like that. We're looking into fitting new valve guides which is what we want a drift for. At the same time we want to see about machining a taper on the new guides to improve airflow. I started a topic about it in the b series engine section, asking if anyone had done it before. I think there could be a small gain to be made by doing it. So while its apart and we have the time etc to give it a go, I though why not !

honda_saj likes this.