Tools OBD Reader Reviews

Discussion in 'Tools & Equipment' started by aiman2005, Thursday 30th May, 2013.

1. exec Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom London
    I have an old Lumia 620, looking to upgrade when WP10 phones come out as mine is slowly dying I think! Personally I love Windows phone, it has most of the apps I need and use, whilst one or two are not as good as the other platform it does the job and the OS is still miles ahead of Android.

yanw likes this.
  2. legend-ary Club Moderator Club Staff

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I already own a basic MaxiScan code reader. Its quite good and pretty much covers all the bases however one omission is there is no way to see live data. Me and my friend have been trying to resurrect his Yaris that we bought for cheap in hoping to fix it ourselves and so far we haven't succeeded.. since MaxiScan can't read live data we can't see what goes wrong all of a sudden that engine starts to die.. .After going through the thread I just ordered my the ELM Bluetooth dongle so we can see live data.

This morning my own cd arrived full of fresh viruses oh and the bluetooth dongle came too.. will try it out and see how it compares to the MaxiScan
    . 20151022_125239. 20151022_123150.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  3. exec Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom London
    The CD is junk, only good for use as coaster. If you use an app like Tourque, its far better than just a code reader, you can access other live data like throttle position, air flow etc

4. legend-ary Club Moderator Club Staff

exactly why i bought the bluetooth type. the Maxiscan can read codes and show freeze frame data but doesn't show you anything else. With the Yaris we are trying to fix, Maxiscan initially gave ICV error. We replaced the throttle body along with all sensors and still says the same. I suspect air in the cooling system but to be 100% live data was absolutely necessary.

5. exec Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom London
    Did you clear the code after changing throttle body?

6. legend-ary Club Moderator Club Staff

yeah I did actually. Its a weird situation actually.. we bought the car with the issue that it wouldn't hold revs but at speed it was fine
    replaced the icv and it now it starts fine, idles okish.. but then as it warms up it starts jerking and engine feels as its about to stall but then it becomes ok.. eventually it dies..
    After coolant flush and my attempts to get rid of air in the system it is running better now but CEL is back on.. :brickwall:still dies.. but lasts longer than it used to.

7. exec Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom London
    Check for vacuum leaks and I would also check fuel injectors, they can cause those sort of issues.

8. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    It's either under or over fueling, what do the lambda readings say and the long term and short term fuel trims ?

9. legend-ary Club Moderator Club Staff

urgh. I went to get the readings off the sick Yaris.. I assumed everything is being logged as I added almost all the PID in the 'Select what to log' section in settings. It turned out the selection gets cleared everytime I exit the app which is silly but I am using Torque Lite. IT only logged the following by default:

GPS Time Device Time Longitude LatitudeGPS Speed (Meters/second) Horizontal Dilution of Precision Altitude Bearing G(x) G(y) G(z) G(calibrated)

Can anyone confirm if I don't exit the app and include all PIDs it will log them all?

10. legend-ary Club Moderator Club Staff

okay. so Torque Lite can infact output more data but you have to add the PDI every time you start the app. I believe these will be saved if you have paid version. The OBDII dongle does something weird, when plugged in the P/S light on the Yaris keeps blinking.. anyways.. finally managed to get some data off .
    @SpeedyGee red bar shows when i actually pressed on the throttle.. other than that RPM is adjusting itself.. the numbers on the left are just percentage (for fuel trim bank 1 sensor 1.. ) im really bad with excel as you can tell.. lol
    graph.PNG

11. dinoc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Romania Bucharest
    The ECU up to CL Accords (included) are slow so datalogging with Torque app is not possible to be done reliable (I tried that, the stock ECU is to slow).

The ECU from TSX CL9 facelift has CANBUS also the new Accords (CU2 for instant) so those ECU are fast, therefore you can datalogg something.
    But you need a good OBD tool also. I used to have one of these which supposed to be very fast OBDLink™ MX Bluetooth | OBDLink™ – OBD Solutions but the stock ECU limited drastic its capabilities.
    When switching to Flashpro Bluetotoh unit I sold it, as I can do the same things and more. ( it can be used with Torque app but I can use the better app, Hondata Mobile app Hondata Mobile – Android Apps on Google Play

12. legend-ary Club Moderator Club Staff

Is there a guide as to how to read into these readings? I have the excel sheet containing following bits of data but I don't know what is right what is wrong
    Engine Coolant Temperature(°C)Engine RPM(rpm)Mass Air Flow Rate(g/s)Intake Air Temperature(°C)Timing Advance(°)Throttle Position(%)Fuel trim bank 1 sensor 1(%)Fuel trim bank 1 sensor 2(%)O2 Volts Bank 1 sensor 1(V)O2 Volts Bank 1 sensor 2(V)

13. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    Not a guide no, it's hard to kind of explain. You need to look at each value with respect to everything else. So having an understanding of each PID is important.
    With that understanding you can then decipher the data in front of you.

legend-ary likes this.
  14. Al Giordino Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Al Parma
    I bought ELM327 v2.1 bluetooth from ebay. It works fine with my Galaxy S3 and Torque pro. Does anyone tried to add custom PID to read DPF temperature or something that can tell when car is regenerating DPF?
    On torque there is the DPF temperature gauge but doesn't read data.

Thank you,
    Al