Engine & Gearbox Noises when I start the car

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by bigd89, Tuesday 1st Dec, 2009.

1. bigd89 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

hi all, when i start my car sometimes it makes a horrible noise its the same noise u get from trying to start and engine when its already running (if your cars quiet lol) its obviously not running when im doin it but does anyone know what this is? cheers

2. CivicTypeReplica Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah, it's semi common.

It's to do with all the oil having run back down into the sump, so the cam followers/tappets etc rattle when you foirst turn it over until they get a good coating of oil.

should do it for no more than a second or so.

i found mine was worse when i had a cheap oil filter fitted, it may not have had a non return valve in it.

'nothing to worry about unless it gets really bad' is what we concluded the last time it was talked about, as it usually only does it after a long stand overnight or something, not when its recently been run.

cheers

3. Bong Guest

I think I know what you mean, when you turn the key it makes a nasty noise but engine doesnt fire up?

Its happened on a few of my Honda's randomly, never bothered to find out what it was as it never seemed to cause a problem, would always fire up on the next attempt and was only very rare

4. bigd89 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

it fires up fine just makes that horrible noise only when it's been sat overnite or cold tho

5. ryanthetriad Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have done this once turning the key once the engine was already running made that noise, don't ask how, I wasn't paying any attention at all, but I get that noise sometimes on start up. Sounds kinda crunchy. I try avoid this by not completing turning the ignition when the key is in, as in not turning fully on hold

6. Liam Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi bud, my ep does that too mostly if its cold or been sat for a few days, does it make the noise when you let go of the key after startin it?? if so its just the starter throw gear needin oiled/wd40. had this befor on other cars nothin to worry about really but prob be worth removing the starter an give it a clean an oil the gear mech. hope that helps bud. one day i will do mine hehe:Grin:

7. CivicTypeReplica Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Did nobody acknowledge what I wrote...?

8. TDi North Commercial Services Trader

9. ryanthetriad Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have dude, I was only making sure it was the same noise. :Tongue:

10. Andy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I get this noise sometimes too. Thought it was me being a n00b at first :lol:

11. bigd89 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

cheers for the help if it starts doin it again i'll try the wd40 if not i'll have to live with it