Electrical & Lights No headlight adjustment for driving abroad

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Lisbon, Tuesday 7th Feb, 2017.

1. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Reading
    Although the HID headlights on my CR-V don't require adjustment/deflectors, when driving in mainland Europe I regularly get flashed by oncoming traffic signalling that they're getting dazzled by my dipped headlights. Has anyone else experienced this?

2. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Nicosia
    I am not sure if there are instructions/guide how to adjust HID, because they are self adjustable thus I believe there is a control module involved. Probably an adjustment can be done with HDS diagnostic though I am not really sure since I have stopped using HDS. @Beefy or @Ichiban may know??

3. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Nicosia

I think this is the procedure. Looks same as mine.
    Clockwise turn goes up
    Anticlockwise turn goes down

Distance to test 7.62 m (project to a wall)

Measure ground to small headlight tip distance (middle of headlight). Make sure the top headlight distance to the ground on the wall is not higher than this distance.

Last edited: Tuesday 7th Feb, 2017
  4. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Reading
    The "brick" says no headlamp adjustment is necessary to drive in mainland Europe.

5. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Nicosia
    Since there is an adjustment screw it is possible though. Tomorrow I will test my low beams on a wall.

Last edited: Tuesday 7th Feb, 2017
  6. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    If it's any comfort @Lisbon I get flashed up driving on the Continent too; two circumstances:
    • On the autostrada, the automatic dipper doesn't see oncoming trucks because their lower set of headlights are hidden behind the Armco. The lamps above the driver's cab fool the auto-dipper into thinking the oncoming truck is away and thus doesn't dip early enough.
    • On country roads, either because the oncoming motorist is an ignorant peasant (quite possible around here), or because the default setting is too high.
    Whatever the reason, it wouldn't be about the direction of illumination, since our CR-V is LHD.

7. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Nicosia
    Maybe it is because you select automatic high beam ? I never do so. :Smile: I would check the low beam level just in case.

8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    I get flashed sometimes even in the UK. The HIDs are bright (although not as bright as some of the new LEDs) and I think people get confused and think they are on full beam.

A quick blast of the real full beam soon puts a stop to that...

9. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Nicosia
    There is an MOT test too, just in case you feel that your lights are not calibrated. My VW had the same problem (though they were too low) and the MOT guy fixed them (after I asked him to check). I believe you should test them anyway.

10. Bomber209 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Lanky Aberdeen
    Hi, Ask your local dealer service dept to adjust the Range and/or Time lag. It's a 2 minute job done via the the OBD socket. Mine were originally set for 500 metres, so had it brought down a bit. It's a bit annoying on quiet roads when road sign reflection causes dipping, but hey ho!

Lisbon likes this.
  11. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Nicosia
    So there is an HDS adjustment after all :Smile: Cheers for this. So two methods??? Manual and HDS!!
    Though I believe with HDS it is only the intensity and not the inclination.

Last edited: Saturday 11th Feb, 2017
  12. AccordCU2 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Brum
    Interesting
    I was actually looking for answer on this.
    I will be driving to Europe soon and I do have HID headlights.
    I needed them on my Accord because I had halogen lights.

Honda UK says I don't need deflectors to drive in Europe but dealer says differently so I am a bit confused tbh.
    As you say brick says no.

Do we need headlight deflectors for European driving then or should I take them with me just in case plod has something to say about it?

13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

This is a question that really needs a definitive answer. As soon as anyone finds out, please let us know.

AccordCU2 likes this.
  14. Boober Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Glasgow
    I've driven my EX all over Europe and not had a problem.

Even when a couple of kind Gendarmes busted me at 100mph they didn't say anything about the lights!

Go with Honda UK's advice. On high spec CR-Vs with Xenons the lights are not directional so don't need adjusted.

AccordCU2, andy83 and FirstHonda like this.
  15. AccordCU2 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Brum
    That's good enough for me.
    I'll take deflectors with me just in case plod have to something to say.
    Thanks!
    - - - Updated - - -
    I also have a nice souvenir from Czech police for doing well over a 100 few years ago lol.

Boober, andy83 and SpeedyGee like this.
  16. Zombies New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Lee Cornwall
    Just joined looking for info on the lights to see if the CR-V had adjusters but my take on it is -
    Xenon lights are relatively flat beam so don't dazzle.
    There might be a slight kick up to the left but it should just about be OK, if not just adjust down slightly.
    Optic lights are similar, drive to a wall and see how much they lift up to the left, if flat then OK.
    Patterned lenses aren't adjustable as pattern is fixed and need beam benders.

I know RHD S2000 with xenons pass French mots