New car advice...

Discussion in 'Lounge & Gossip' started by karl2k86, Wednesday 23rd Dec, 2009.

1. karl2k86 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I love my car to bits, its great to drive, has decent performance, economical, and has never given me any problems. HOWEVER, I've still got an itch to have somthing more modern, I'm turning 24 next year and would like somthing 'newer'. I do a fair amount of miles at the moment, so I need somthing:

1) Economical

2) Reliable

3) Looks nice

4) Has some performance, but I'm not after huge performance, as I don't really use the car for performance.

So far the only ideas which I have are:

* Honda Civic Ej9 (ideally around 2000 spec - Obviously performance wise, I'd have none, which would be my main concern)

* Peugeot 106 gti (don't slate me, but opinions please?)

* VW polo GTI

If there is anything that anyone could suggest it would be most helpful. I'd be looking around spedning 3k, so anything in that sort of budget.

Help? :cool:

2. HONDAndy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i don't think there's much difference between EG and EK tbh. something vag maybe. upto you at the end of the day mate.

search for threads started by bong water in here, most likely gonna be about buying a new car :Tongue:

hth

3. NiCkO Guest

vw polo gti slow as arseholes and pug is built like and airfix toy and about as reliable but i nippy as fuck tbh i reckon ej9 with a nice b20 build in the future and ur on to a winer lol IMO

4. Sandy. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

106 gti's are nice cars i do have a soft-spot for them out of the three you have stated i would choose that. You not interested in a vti? Eks are a lot nicer than EG's IMO don't know why but i like them more.

5. karl2k86 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

HONDandy - Read a few of bongwater's post's about new cars, and I can see his point with most of them tbh, I'm in a similar boat!

ignis492 - Polo gti, I know there not going to 'set the world on fire' with the performance, but I'm not interested in massive performance!

Sandycheeks - I've owned about 2 eg6's, and about 3 ek4's. I just can't get on with the EK4, I loved the EG6 for the power they give and handling, but never got on with the Ek4.

I've thought about maybe a Seat Ibiza cupra, either the 2ltr 16v, or the cupra turbo. However, they make the performance of a VTI, and the economy of them is rubbish. I'd love to find a facelife ek4, or possibly an EM1. The pug 106 gti is a very nice car, but I'd be worried about going to a french car again, after the luck I had previously with Renault.

TBH, there doesn't seem to be many cars which make decent performance, and still keeping good economy, reliability and looks apart from Honda. Am I the only one that thinks this, or am I wrong?

6. 689r Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

7. karl2k86 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

689r - For 3kish? I've had a look (I do love them) but for a decent one I'd be looking around 5kish :-(

8. LiggyL Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Polo Gti - Slower than a standard EK4/EM1, same economy but feel newer cars, gearboxes made of chocolate though!

EJ9 - If you didnt get on with an EK4, your gonna like an EJ9 even less surely?

Pug 106 Gti - Quick, lots of fun and good on fuel... not very reliable though and feel awful inside.

I looked at the Ibiza Cupra when I bought my EM1, didnt drive one but drove an A3 1.8T which is same engine, box and similar weight and it was easy to drive quick but boring... much prefer revving the fook out of an N/A!

9. 689r Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Youl get a decent one for 4k if you can stretch to it man. Would be so worth it over those other cars youv suggested and way better than an ek4. And this is coming from an ek4 owner haha.

10. HONDAndy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

how about an si teg or da? harder to find i suppose but cheaper?

gl with whatever you go for anyway.

11. Liam Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

uk CTR?? surely get a 51 plate for around 3-4k? not to bad on fuel if your not in VTEC loadsa power if you are

12. karl2k86 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Lillyg - EJ9, I see your point, there are just more accessible, and finding a decent facelift EK4 is seeming impossible (obviously this time of year doesn't help). I did like the Ek4, but at the time(s) of owning one, I simply could't afford to run one.

106 gti - From what I have read, great fun to drive, but not for long as there more likely to break down.

Liam - I would love a UK CTR, but looking at the cost of running, petrol, servicing, tyres, extra on the insurance (I'm not overly fussed on insurance, 23 with 5 years NCB its not too bad) I could be wrong though?

The Ibiza cupra looks nice, very tuneable, but if I were to go down that route, again I'd lose economy (even as a stock car, economy is pretty pants on them), and be spending alot on petrol. Is there anything else out there that will offer similar performance, economy and handling to the ek4/EM1/eg6?

Last edited by a moderator: Wednesday 23rd Dec, 2009
  13. 689r Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

http://pistonheads.com/sales/1410743.htm

very nice ^^

14. LiggyL Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Nope, been using my EM1 as a daily driver for the year i've had it, done 21k in it already and it does 30mpg ish. The only thing I could find that came close was believe it or not, a BMW E36 323i although my cars now quicker than a standard 323i.

If economy is really the main issue i'd say go for diesel, but i'd rather pay the extra at the pumps to enjoy myself whilst driving!

15. Sandy. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

EM1 would be what i would go for im bias as i have one but its a great car plus they are cheap to get hold of at the moment, and its Honda.

16. Mabs Kadir Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

i was going to say have a look at a seat leon cupra? or have a look at a audi a3?

17. Dr Motel Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

What about a EK hatch? pick one up for 1.5k -2k and you have a few coins to invest in performance & handling

106 GTi's are awsome little motors, i loved mine but insurance is fucking stupid! they also become very boring very quick, build quality is appauling and all of the trim is cheap tacky and they are not very nice, even in the top of the range GTi's the only differance you have is half leather seats and doorcards, everything else is the same as the super shit spec models.

a friend of mine had a GTi polo...... bland

How about a 20v GTi 4th Generation golf? has exatly what you want but its just like driving a house.

I can think of a lot of cars that fit your price range, just none are reliable or fit any of the other requirements you have!

18. Smiley Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i'll get flamed for this but.

a golf gttdi150 or a leonfr150. both can be had for 3k, they have 150 BHP and 270torque, yes they aint gonna beat a ek4, or a DC2, and yes they make horrible noise.

but they are nippy, cheap to tax chepa to insure, and very cheap to run

19. karl2k86 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Thanks for the advice guys, its much appreciated :cool:

The 106 GTI is off the list, lovely looking cars, but reliability is a big issue with them, and I'd rather spend my money on other things than constantly fixing it.

I have been looking at the 4th Generation golf GT TDI 150, my dad owns one. Great on economy, has alot of nice luxuries (heated seats, wing mirrors etc) so its somthing to think about.

Polo GTI - After looking around on the internet, they have alot of electrical issues (from my reading, the VAG group tend to have done over the years) and my friend owns one, I wasn't too impressed with it.

Looking more and more likely in the new year I'll be on the hunt for an Ek4 or Em1 :Smile:

20. Bong Guest

Your in exact the same boat as me its frustrating looking for a car and pre 01 Honda's are the only cars that tick all the boxes, reliability, performance, economy, build quality etc

Its just finding a good one, IMO you won't get a nice DC2-R for