Other Model My engine rebuild

Discussion in 'Project & Modification Logs' started by Saint Matt, Monday 7th Dec, 2009.

1. Saint Matt Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

My DC2, Pro 2 build

Been hoarding parts for a while now and not saying anything in case I bottle it as I've done before lol but today I actually passed the point of no return.

Basically my teg smokes when hammering it as anyone who's followed me will vouch for lol. So I decided to rebuild the engine and throw some tasty bits in there while it's apart. Spec will be as follows;

B18C6, rebuilt with ACL race bearings and new rings etc all genuine gaskets and seals used. Stock bore size

Supertech valve springs and Ti retainers

Omni-power flat face valves

Supertech stem seals

0.025" skimmed head

Skunk2 Pro Series Stage 2 cams

Skunk2 Pro Series adjustable cam gears

EP Racing airbox

Mugen 4-1 Manifold

Decat

Mugen twinloop

ECtune mapped by Artech

Baffled sump

So here's some pics of todays progress. Just really wanted to get the engine out as the weather was looking iffy but it actually cleared up so got a lot more done that I expected!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obligatory shot, pardon the gimp smile!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that was the engine out, set about next task, removing power steering and associated nonsense. Been running without the belt on for a month or so making sure I was alright with it and it's fine, so out it came. Just cut the lines and looped them. Easy as pie, made for the job 8)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starting stripping the engine;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's about all we got photo wise but yeah, good progress today!

In a nutshell, engine out, PAS faggotry removed and lines looped, gearbox off, head off, sump off and cleaned ready to have baffles welded in, pistons out and bores expected (all ok).

Tomorrow I'll get some scotchbrite for the bores (none of this honing nonsense :Wink: ) and order some more gaskets from Honda. I'll update with some money shot pics of the bores etc as well which I forgot to take lol!

I'm going to nitro mors the block and also polish up the engine bay. Hope to have it back in and running by next weekend, then mapped possibly the week after, whenever Artech can fit me in :Smile:

Cheers, Matt

Last edited by a moderator: Thursday 10th Dec, 2009
  2. Sam. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Seems you are cracking on with it pretty well Matt.

Just a tip with the Powersteering Removal. I bought a kit that does the same job initially but it has a small amount of fluid in a clutch resi with a small hole in the lid to allow fluid to still move around the rack. Also allows that a build up of preasure doesnt make it somtimes stiff then not so stiff.

Looking good though. That engine should be a beast when done :Smile:

3. Saint Matt Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers, we'll see about the steering kit, I've seen them too but I know people who have done it this way and had no trouble :Smile:

4. _nuno_civic_ Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

nice nice, sweet bit of work there mate.

keep up the good stuff.

5. Sam. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It really does depend. I've personally never tried it with a straight pipe over and it might just be some people not manning up to the job. See what its like, I can't see it being THAT different.

6. Saint Matt Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Forgot to update, here's mondays

Well, I couldn't help myself today, uni finished early so went out and got some bits I need, then roughed up all the bores, checked all the piston ring gaps (all spot on :Grin: ) and plastiguaged the big end journals, again all spot on.

Replaced the rings on piston 4 then dropped it in, then dropped my god damn

7. tedman Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Out of interest mate, how did you rough up the bores? Just a honing tool?

Doing the same myself right now, never done it before so glad to see soneone else doing it at the same time. Right now waiting on OEM t-belt,full headset + oil pump:Angry:

8. Saint Matt Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

And last night's update;

Right so another update today.

Took the head to a local engineering firm this morning, getting a skim and back to me tomorrow. Also dropped the sump off with a mate and a baffle kit to weld in for me. Picked up a Tegiwa alloy half size rad and some hoses up as well, gives me lots of room to fit the oil cooler :Grin:

All pistons back in and big ends torqued up, clearances rechecked again to make sure everything's cool which it is. Windage tray back on but waiting on gaskets for the strainer and sump (and the sump itself) then the bottom end is fully complete.

Aims for tomorrow are to get the head on and torqued up, bascially build it up so it's ready to drop in, then maybe drop it in friday or saturday depending on weather.

Matt

9. Saint Matt Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Red scotchbrite mate from a bodyshop when obviously washed it with soapy water, then WD40 and lint free cloth. It's a little unorthodox you might say but it's what I've been advised by my uni lecturers, 2 of them have been building engines for a combined 60-70 years and they've never had any ring sealing problems so I'm confident it will be fine :Smile:

10. BackyardRacing Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

i think everyone in the world has that same engine stand :Smile:

11. imran_akn Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

This is what i like to read! Good work dude!

12. omp Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Haha I did my bores with wet and dry! Rings have seated perfectly! Got the advice off my dad who's been building engines years so I'm confident yours will be fine too! Quality build mate keep it up

13. Saint Matt Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Another update, quite a big one :Tongue: My camera seems to have turned into the shoddiest camera I've ever known, so apologies for that.

Got the head back today, so stuck that on. Cams in, belt on and timed up. Intake manifold on and wiring loom all plugged in.

PICT0138.

PICT0139.

PICT0140.

Then took it off the stand, timing covers on, flywheel/clutch/gearbox back on. It's ready to drop in now. If it was summer and I had a bit more daylight (and probably a mate to help me out) I'd have it in, but as it happens I was on my own and it was dark, so I just got the rad sorted with fan on and had a bit of a tidy up :Smile: In tomorrow, maybe running. If not definately running friday :Smile:

Matt

14. deb1991 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

looks good man, nice work, gonna be buildin my b18cr engine aswell, what uni course are you doing?

15. TheSam Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

steve and shaun?

Il be doing the same course in that case :Smile:

was at curbourough back in the summer in the silver pulsar/almera

IMG_4460.

looks like your macro has turned on, could be the reason your pictures are fuzzzzzzy

Last edited by a moderator: Thursday 10th Dec, 2009
  16. Saint Matt Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Right so another update today as ever :Smile: Knocked off uni at 1, picked up a seal kit, then the sump, came home, cracked on about 2pm. Sump cleaned out (still had welding splatter and all that nonsense) and then fitted. Engine in, wired up and plumbed in, rad back in, all 5 mounts on and tightened up. One driveshaft back in and hub reassembled, leaving the driver's one out for now as it give much better acces to the gearbox oil filler hole. No pics as most of it was done in the dark.

Thanks to Lou at LBR for helpng me refit the engine.

Things to do tomorrow are go to the shop and get some oil, coolant etc, new oil filter too which I should have banged on it when it was on the stand but forgot lol. Need to put the alternator belt back on, set the valve clearances, fill the oils and reassemble the hub and driveshaft. Gotta fit the strurt brace as well. Gonna crank it for oil pressure first with injectors unplugged, then start it properly and bleed the coolant. Probably heat cycle it a couple of times, then leave it alone til I can afford to map it :Frown:

I'm doing motorsport engineering at derby mate. Spent the last 4 years at a Land Rover dealership though, doing and apprenticeship then staying on for a bit before deciding to go onto uni.

And Sam, yes mate, you'll remember how much it smokes then lol.

Last edited by a moderator: Monday 14th Dec, 2009
  17. deb1991 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

im doing motorsport technology, what year are you in? at the moment its all maths and physics, hope it gets better in the second year!

18. tonycoupe97 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

hey im doing automotive eng next year, hope i can afford to run a teggy engine whilst at uni. (shame can't take my car for first year)

good build, picking up sum tips for when i have a go. :Smile:

19. Saint Matt Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

First year mate

20. TheSam Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

yeah it was a tad smokey, see you driving round all the time

Just into my second year now, first year was better :shh: