Engine & Gearbox My D14 bad idle

Discussion in 'Honda D-Series' started by Ricky_Mitchell, Saturday 19th Dec, 2009.

1. Ricky_Mitchell Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

my 96 EK Civic has been sat for around a year. only started it a few times. now when i start it. it ticks over fine for around 3-5mins then stats to rev to 2k then back down to 1k. does anyone no what this could be.

2. Gav_ek4 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

this has been covered a million times

remove idle speed control valve from throttle body its located on the head side of the throttle body and is held on with 4 8mm bolts and has 2 little hoses and an electrical plug),make sure the little cylindrical vane in the valve is free to move,if its stuck then free it off with some wd40 and then clean out with carb cleaner,refit to car

magically your ej9 will now idle steadily where it should

3. Ricky_Mitchell Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

cheers mate. will give it a try this afternoon an get back to you an say if it works.

4. Andy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Same happened to mine when it was sat for 4 weeks doing nothing.

Reset the ECU (by removing the battery and reconnecting it) and take it out for a 15-20 min drive and it should probably sort it. Or at least mine was alright after doing that, was a mate who told me to try it.

Worth a shot before trying the IACV etc :Smile:

5. Ricky_Mitchell Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

just cleaned the IACV. hasnst worked. but havent drove the car yet. will take throttle body off again an check it again. will also do the battery thing.

6. Andy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Seriously, go drive it!

The ECU needs time to relearn it's settings and also to realise the IACV has been cleaned. Leaving it ticking over may help but it's best to drive it for a bit :Smile:

7. 1cal Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

bleed the rad

8. Gav_ek4 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

did you DEF free the little vane off in the idle speed control valve mate,i have never seen this fail NEVER

9. Ricky_Mitchell Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

think its sorted now re cleaned it. gotta take it for a drive when wheather gets better.