Mugen PC case project

Discussion in 'Lounge & Gossip' started by bijomaru, Wednesday 8th Aug, 2012.

1. DeviateDefiant Managing Director H-Tune Staff

United Kingdom Leo Corby
    "Be Quiet!" apparently make excellent PSUs, I haven't owned one myself but they get a lot of rave reviews. My Corsairs HX750+ is silent day to day and is passively cooled, fans only kick in when the temps get high.

I'm absolutely loving the close to finished product, definitely think you should stick the black strip on for more contrast with the red light :Smile:

I haven't used Scan personally, I was going to order 7-8 hard-drives from them last year before finding a better deal. Definitely noted down to avoid them.

2. bijomaru Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    Apparently they do. Shame I've had 2 with coil whine and 1 with fan failure :/ To be honest, if I had my old GPU and a louder CPU fan, I probably wouldn't be able to hear them. I will try get the BeQuiet Dark Power PSU, first I guess, or maybe just get the Super Flower? It's over £30 more, but it 's 1000W compared to BeQuiet 650W. Don't need that much power though ...

91e0iDjp5GL._SL1500_. or Super-Flower-1000W-Platinum-Leadtek.

And with Scan, I've been using them for ages and they were great. So was DPD. It just so happens that on this order, delivery and subsequent RMAs there was always some sort of delay/issue. They way they handled it was terrible on this occasion. Not sure if they're always that bad.

3. bijomaru Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Managed to solve the power button with some more DIY :Smile:

IMAGE_331. IMAGE_334.

Added small detail to the front and power button fixed:
    IMAGE_332.

Added 3rd CPU fan, also braided the power and front fan cables. Looks much more tidy in here now (but will look better once new PSU is fitted):
    IMAGE_335. IMAGE_336.

Plexi-glass fitted (if you can see the reflection):
    IMAGE_333.

White PSU coming this Tuesday, DVD bezel painted and drying. Just need back PCI brackets painted and badges to arrive.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  4. bijomaru Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Night time shot :Smile: Can't get enough of it at the moment :Smile:

IMAGE_337.

5. bijomaru Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

New PSU is here and it seems like it's just what I needed all that time. Good things do come at a price.

It has an Eco mode which means until it gets hot it will not turn the fan on. I shouldn't need that unless I am gaming hard, and that rarely happens. On very close listen it has some 'ticking' inside, but it's only audible when literally I put my ear to it, so it won't bother me.

Testing:
    IMAGE_339. 63266d58_o.

Rear of the case before and after:
    IMAGE_341. IMAGE_343.

How it looks inside:
    IMAGE_344. IMAGE_346.

Ichiban likes this.
  6. Ichiban Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England CJ Leeds
    Wicked looking case mate any benchmarking figures and how noisy are those fans?

7. bijomaru Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Here's PassMark results from old PC (green) and new (yellow). Huge improvements in CPU and 3D graphics. SSD can finally breathe and gets the performance boost it deserves. For some reason though my Memory isn't performing as it should. Need to look into that when I get a minute. May be the motherboard, so I am contemplating replacing it with Asus Republic of Gamers one. Best you can get for AM3+ processors in my opinion.

It's not a huge performance build, but that was never my main goal. It was meant to be an upgrade for my outdated build, that will last a few years and will be quiet.

PSU fan is not spinning until it reaches certain temperature in the Eco mode I have it in now. So that's silent.

GPU fans are very silent and you can't really hear them.

CPU fans shift a fair amount of air so they are audible, but it's very VERY silent.

The front intake fan has a rev limter on it to spin it down so it's inaudible.

Need to work on isolating vibration from HDD as it's annoying when it spins.

PC Comparison Chart.

Ichiban likes this.
  8. Ichiban Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England CJ Leeds
    Impressive or what!!, very impressed bud. You can get dampeners from quick pc IIRC for the HDD?

9. bijomaru Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I think I even have some dampers spare. Needs some time, but to be honest it's not that bad at all.

Badges have arrived.

IMAGE_359. IMAGE_360.
    IMAGE_361.

JayG and Ichiban like this.
  10. bijomaru Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Honda Mugen PC Specs
    hk_sig_left.
    CaseDell XPS 700 (Honda Mugen Mod, BTX to ATX conversion)
    ProcessorAMD FX-8350 8-core @ 4GHz
    CoolingPhanteks PH-TC14PE Red
    MemoryKingston Hyper-X 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
    MotherboardAsus Crosshair V Formula-Z (Republic of Gamers)
    GraphicsMSI GTX 750Ti Gaming Twin Frozr 2GB
    Solid State Drive - SystemCorsair Force GS 240GB
    Solid State Drive - Hyper-V StorageSamsung Evo 840 120GB
    Hard Drive - StorageHitachi 1TB
    Power SupplySuper Flower 1000W White
    hk_sig_right.
    Updated: new motherboard

legend-ary likes this.
  11. bijomaru Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Honda Mugen PC Specs
    572296_hk_sig_left.
    CaseDell XPS 700 (Honda Mugen Mod, BTX to ATX conversion)
    ProcessorAMD FX-8350 8-core @ 4GHz
    CoolingPhanteks PH-TC14PE Red
    MemoryKingston 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 @ 1600MHz
    MotherboardAsus Crosshair V Formula-Z (Republic of Gamers)
    GraphicsMSI GTX 750Ti Gaming Twin Frozr 2GB
    Solid State Drive - SystemCorsair Force GS 240GB
    Hitachi 1TB
    External StorageSynology NAS - 12TB
    Power SupplySuper Flower 1000W White
    572297_hk_sig_right.
    Glad to see the photos are back :Smile: Can't believe it's 4 years since I done this!

Updated: more RAM, less storage, but added a 12TB NAS a while back.

Heckler likes this.
  12. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

Similar specs to my current gaming rig... that's now really long in the tooth. So next year I'm building a new one, just waiting for the Ryzen 3rd Generation stuff to come out, as prices/speeds and performance looks so good. Waiting for release dates and the new X570 chipset motherboards... Because I need to replace almost everything, it's gonna set my back around £1200-1500, and that's without a new video card. But those 1tb M.2 cards are pricey, and I want at least 2TB in SSD's for games too (I've got 1 already)

Current rig is, Asus MB 880G chipset, FX8350 @ 4.4ghz on all cores, 16GB G-skill @1600mhz, Sapphire RX580 graphics card (also overclocked a little, 2230 on the mem instead of 2000, and 1460 on the core instead of 1366), Crucial MX500 1TB SSD & 2x 3TB storage drives. Case is an older Coolermaster CM90 without any USB3 on the front panel. PSU is a 500w Corsair 80+, and the cooler is currently a Titan Fenir with 140mm fan... It's a monster of a cooler that has no problems keeping the OC'd CPU cool. Some of those components have been in the case since my old Phenom II 955BE system (mainly the cooler, PSU and BDRom)... so they're going on 8yrs old now... Time to replace almost everything.

Then there's my mediaserver, which has the same motherboard, an FX6300 (6 core) @ 3.5ghz, 8GB of ram, an R9 280X graphics card and 28.5TB of storage... in 2x 6TB, 1x 8TB, 2x 4TB & a 500GB Crucial SSD... QAll housed in one of Silverstones lovely media centre cases, with room for more storage, just no more spare sata sockets on the board.

When I build my new one, I shall use some of the parts from the gaming rig to upgrade the CPU/Ram on the mediaserver... This one is now nearly 5yrs old

Last edited: Sunday 23rd Dec, 2018