Electrical & Lights MOT Failure - Rear Fog Light Not Working

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by manonthemoon, Saturday 23rd Mar, 2019.

1. manonthemoon Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Bob Scotland
    2014 CR-V failed its MOT due to the rear fog light not working. Honda fitted a detachable tow bar since last MOT. The tow bar was detached for the test. Checked bulb and it seems fine. The rear fog light indicator on the dash is amber so clearly this is a warning. Tried fitting the towbar and the adapter to the power socket. Still no dice.

Would have taken it to a Honda garage but nearest one is 12 hours ferry journey away. Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers
    MOTM

2. rimmo Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Charlie Brigg North Lincs
    Could it have possibly been wired incorrectly, when towing it should cut out the rear fog on the towing vehicle (to prevent glare in the rear view mirror) but the fog will still work on the trailer/caravan etc.

3. manonthemoon Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes. That's my fear. If wired incorrectly I'm not sure how long it will take a local garage to fix that and the associated cost.

4. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    I had a similar problem on my CR-V. Because the trailer I had at the time had a 7 pin connector and I had specified a 13 pin system on the car I had to fit a 13 to 7 pin adapter. I never thought about it and just left the adapter on the car all the time. I then became aware that the fog light had stopped working. Took it to the dealer and it transpires that there is a small spring loaded switch inside the 13 pin outlet which turns the fog light off when a trailer plug is attached. The fact that I had left the adapter in for over a year had caused the switch to stick in the off position. A squirt of WD4 freed the switch and once again the fog light was working.
    Needless to say, the garage strongly advised not to leave be adapter in all the time (it's highly unlikely that anyone would have a trailer permanently attached and if they did the fog light would have to be switched off in any case). No problems since.

Keith

5. manonthemoon Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Keith. I've also got an adapter so I'll try putting that on and off and see if that makes any difference.
    MOTM

6. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    It's the small switch inside the towbar electrical outlet (where you plug the trailer in) that you need to check.

Keith

7. manonthemoon Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes Keith. Found it. The switch clicks fine and still no light. So it can't be that.

Cheers
    MOTM

8. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Thanks - worth a try.

Keith

9. Hatter Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Peter Rotherham
    Assume it did work when fitted?
    If yes, then something has become detached, broken or not fitted properly.
    The wiring should be behind the O/S and N/S panel in the boot.
    If you can remove the panels, you could use a multimeter to check for power at the connectors and see if there are any loose connections.

Peter
    - - - Updated - - -
    Depends if they have wired it up. Should be a blue/yellow wire. Blue is the fog light wire to pin 2 (as you look at socket, centre star, right hand pin)

10. manonthemoon Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Peter

Never checked when the tow bar was put on as it never occurred that there would be a problem. So I don't know. Hadn't used the fog lights at all so until the MOT was unaware it was a problem. Car now with a local garage. Last phone call said they were still working on it. Fingers crossed for a breakthrough early tomorrow.

Cheers
    MOTM