mot failure on noise

Discussion in '6th Generation (1996-2000)' started by silver surfer, Friday 6th Nov, 2009.

1. silver surfer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

im hoping someone can help me ... I've got a dc sports catback exhaust and i just can't pass the MOT with it as its too noisy apparently, compared to some Civics I've heard its nothing but anyway

the garage have suggested i get an EK9 OEM exhaust ... brand new they are stupidly expensive and second hand they seem to be rare as rocking horse shite

any suggestions please? I've had to sorn the car until its sorted :Frown:

2. daz-civic Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

take it somewhere else

the MOT tester can only fail it cause in his opinion its too loud as there's no way of properly testing it cause there are no records of the noise levels from when the car was brand new

3. silver surfer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

this is the second garage I've taken it to now and theyve both said its too loud, hes a proper geezer aswell and said it shouldnt be a problem ... but turns out it is

4. Vtec phil Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mine passes every year i have a sport manifold and full decat system and it really louds plus i live in northern ireland where we have testing centre not like in the mainland

5. daz-civic Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

just ask him to tell you exactly what the legal limit is in decibels so that you can then rectify the problem to conform to the law, and then when he tells you that there isnt a legal limit or that he doesnt know of one then ask him how he can fail your car then, and also ask him if there is no legal limit set out by the law then how are people supposed to obey the law

6. silver surfer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

yeah fair play it passed with the dc on it last year ... just been speaking to hond-r and they said they can call up and prove its road legal, its so petty

7. Vtec phil Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Its like anything your not aloud to make more than 90db of noise after 9pm or before 8am in an area where there is house doesnt matter what it is car sound system etc aslong as ur MOT is between them times there is no limit to how much noise u can make.

8. silver surfer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

just called up again to plead my case and have been told

"there is no maximum noise level for cars, however it is illegal under the c&u to modify an exhaust so it is louder than standard"

9. daz-civic Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

thats when you ask them how they can prove its louder than standard without db testing it

10. silver surfer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

because he said the tone is too low and if he was to put a standard Civic next to it mine would sound different, they havent charged me luckily, just gotta find a garage who are abit more forgiving!

11. MeisterR Commercial Services Trader

Find a different friendly garage. MOT tester sometime just get into a twist with modified car because they don't want the hassle.

Things like car is too low, or too loud.

There isn't really a legal limit, it is up to the tester discretion.

12. daz-civic Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

the tone frequency has nothing to do with how loud it is, you could try an having a word with someone at an sva center cause the limits for kit cars is 105 db's and im sure yould pass that

there was a gt500kr mustang at a local meet recently and altho its a special edition its exactly as it was sold as new and that thing is 10 times louder than 99.9% of any cars on here

13. haggis Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

there isn't a legal "limit" for an MOT test...the testers handbook says "exhaust system is in good condition with no leaks of gasses and does not emit more noise than the same vehicle of same age in good condition"

or words to that effect

however, if the VOSA pull you over for a check, anything over 88dB will see a

14. daz-civic Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Method of Inspection

1. Examine the condition of the whole exhaust system, including the silencers and mountings, for security, deterioration and completeness

2. With the engine running

a. check the exhaust system for leaks

Note: A durable repair to an exhaust system which effectively prevents leaks is acceptable providing the system is structurally sound

b. assess subjectively the effectiveness of the silencer in reducing exhaust noise to a level considered to be average for the vehicle.

Note: The level of exhaust noise should be assesed at all engine speeds required for the exhaust emissions check.

Reason for rejection

a. A part of the system missing or excessively deteriorated

b. an exhaust system mounting missing, or In such condition that it does not fully support the exhaust system.

Note: An alternative mounting device is acceptable providing the system is secure and the fixing is not likely to fail prematurely-

a. A major leak of exhaust gases from any part of the system

Note: A minor exhaust leak from, for example, a connection joint or a pin hole, is not a Reason for Rejection

b. a silencer in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a silencer in average condition.

15. silver surfer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've just gone to pick it up going to try another garage in a dodgy part of town, think thy may have been taking me for a wee ride

took 5 of the monkeys to get it up on the ramp which i thought was pretty funny so im sure someone nice will pass me *flutters eyelashes and buys biscuits*

thanks for advice and if it fails at the other garage on monday ... i won't be such a happy lady

16. Neil_eg Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

friendly MOT tester will pass it, my best mate had a buddyclub spec 2 on his old EK9 and that passed no problems.

17. MUGEN-RR Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

hi bud, if ur keep having problems with ur buddyclub, I've got a stanard EG exhaust sytem, u can borrow that or even buy it off me, and use it the once for ur M.O.T. and then change it over afterwards once its passed

18. Bon Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Put the silencer (bung) back in for the test?!?!?!! or buy one off ebay for

19. likekites Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

its not his choice if its not a standard exhaust if youve paid for it its your choice whats on your car, tell him to go blow himself mate,

20. daz-civic Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

and if he mentions the c & u (construction and use regulations) then tell him thats got nothing to do with the MOT and its not his place to police it