Electrical & Lights Modification required to import my UK CR-V to Portugal

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Lisbon, Thursday 7th Nov, 2019.

1. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Reading
    I’m in the process of importing my UK registered (July 2015) CR-V SR 1.6 I-DTEC 4WD Auto into Portugal and as part of this some modifications are required to the external lighting. This model has 2 reversing lights, so that’s ok, the headlights are already EU compliant without adjustment or modification (according to the handbook), but with only one rear fog light on the drivers side I need to fit a fog light to the passenger side of the car.

Can anyone advise what this entails? If the wiring already exists and it’s just a case of fitting a bulb, that would be great, but somehow I don’t think it’s as simple as that!

2. cat-guy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

cat-guy United Kingdom
    I would guess the headlights will need changing or you could use those headlight reverse beam reflectors from the AA, RAC or Halfords. (Note if intending to keep CR-V in Europe for a number of years, you might have to convert your headlights. Regarding your comment on the rear fog lights, are you sure your CR-V has twin rear fog lights! I believe the UK has a blank on the left hand side and Europe CR-V opposite this.

3. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Reading
    According to the handbook the headlights are already compliant in mainland EU and don’t require modification, or adjustment. A rear fog is required on the passenger side, hence my original post enquiring about what is required to fit one.

4. cat-guy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

cat-guy United Kingdom
    You could fit a European rear light unit which would have the necessary bulb holder and run a link wire from your own rear fog light, but suggest you remove the bulb. You could also consider converting your own rear light cluster.
    I believe if you are keeping your CR-V in Portugal for longer than 180 days you will need a certificate of conformity and albeit your UK spec headlights conform to the Homologue code for this region, I believe you will have to change your headlight unit.

Further to the above I would suggest you speak with the Portugal driving standards team

5. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Reading
    Thanks @cat-guy Link wire is a good idea, having checked, fog lights are not part of main rear light cluster, but integrated into rear bumper (never took any notice before). I have requested and just received COC from Honda. Handbook clearly states headlights are suitable for LHD & RHD, without the need for modification or masking, as per UN-ECE R48 Dover Regulation, so I’m hoping no expensive replacements are required. I will confirm with Honda and locally too.