General Missing things in the European Civic 2017 Hatchback

Discussion in '10th Generation (2016)' started by ArchangelHorus, Thursday 25th May, 2017.

1. ArchangelHorus New Member Getting Started

Germany Archangel Frankfurt
    I was waiting for some time for the new Honda Civic 2017 Hatchback to be released in Europe (and in Germany where I reside) and when it came out I arranged a test drive. After being impressed by the ride quality of the car, the engine, the suspension, the new CVT transmission and many other qualities (although there were things like the very low seating and the dark roof which I did not like), I ordered the car.

In the meantime, I downloaded and read the English (U.S. as it proved) User's Guide.

When I received my car, I was surprised and annoyed by the omission of several handy features which were present in the U.S. version. I list them in order of descending handiness/importance:

1) Walk away auto lock: even though my car has the keyless access, it does not auto lock when one walks away with the key fob on him. To lock the car, you have to either press the button on the fob or the button on the door handle. This feature is clearly explained in the U.S. manual but is totally absent (the relevant pages are missing) in the German one and the relevant options are not present in the Honda Connect U.I. This feature is very convenient and I don't understand why it is absent.
    2) Drive of auto lock: again, the feature of auto locking the car when reaching a certain speed is not present, either in the German manual or the U.I. I consider this an important security feature.
    3) Auto headlight sensitivity adjustment: this feature is again absent from the manual and the U.I. The headlights do come on and go off automatically, as do the auto high-beam, but there is no adjustment of the sensitivity possible whatsoever.
    4) Headlights angle adjustment: the angle of the headlights does not seem adjustable in this car, although it does not have "matrix" LED, only simple LED headlights. This is again irritating and something that is electrically adjustable even in very small and cheap cars. This feature is a very important security adjustment when the car has been loaded.
    5) Remote engine start button on key fob: This is again missing from the European model. Again, this seems silly and cheapo for a 29000 Euro car.
    6) Panic button on key fob: this is again a handy feature (to find your car) which is present in the U.S. car but missing from the European car.
    7) Small tray in the center console: although the center console is very large and handy, it only has the big tray. The very handy small tray is missing. I don't understand why Honda would remove this small tray, which is very cheap, on a car priced 29000 euro that has other very expensive features.
    8) Turbo meter: Although the car does have a turbo engine, this display is missing from the MID for the 1.0 lt. engine. Again, this seems silly and cheap for such an expensive car.

I have asked the dealer and Honda DE if it is possible to activate at least the first two (my opinion is that it is simply a software activation matter), but until now the only response that I've had is negative, with no real explanation why these are missing.

I have also found what seems like a bug in the software of the car. When in the vehicle settings it is configured that the navigation directions are not to be displayed in the main instrument display navigation page, this page and also the audio (!) screen of the instrument display turn a solid blue!

Does anybody else have a similar experience with European Civic 2017 models?

2. Beefy Evangelist H-Tune Community

United Kingdom Stoke
    Sorry but why are you expecting a US spec Civic to be the same as EU? You have set yourself up for a fall there!! None of the fractures you somehow are expecting are available. And the blame falls on you not Honda.

andy83 likes this.
  3. ArchangelHorus New Member Getting Started

I am sorry but I don't agree that I am to blame. I have paid quite bit more than what the car costs in the US and I expect more for that. The price of my 1.0 lt CVT Red Executive trim was 29310 Euro ~ 32850 USD and I expect that Honda will not remove silly little things or security functions like those.
    May I ask why the "bitter" or "scolding" tone? Why should a car for EU be different than a car for the US? Form follows need after all. The driving and safety needs are the same in the end. Why for example do we in the EU not need drive off auto lock? Isn't there a chance that a thief will open the passenger door when we are stopped at a traffic light? Or, since we did pay for keyless entry, why do we have to fumble for the key fob or the door handle button in order to lock the car when leaving?

4. Beefy Evangelist H-Tune Community

United Kingdom Stoke
    The bitter tone is one of disbelief that you bought a car expecting something that was never going to be fitted to it??? It's a very well known fact that cars built for different markets have different spec.

andy83 likes this.
  5. ArchangelHorus New Member Getting Started

I am sorry, but I had no way to know this and I assure you that I read all that was available for the new Civic. The EU manuals are nowhere to be found online and no reviews mentioned these things. Of' course, I am also new to Honda, so this may be the reason that I didn't know. Anyway, it is not that I don't like the car or that I regret getting it. I do and I don't. I am just a bit annoyed that Honda did these and I needed to express this and see if anybody knew a way to get any of these features that were just software disabled.

6. Beefy Evangelist H-Tune Community

United Kingdom Stoke
    Did you not look through the brochure from the dealership ? I can understand where you have gone wrong but it's such an odd thing to do. The answer to your questions would be you can't download the software or install the feachures you list above. Different markets demand certain things. The security feachures are a prime example of a us government stipulation that all new cars have to comply with. In Europe this is not a requirement although for instance tyre pressure monitoring and daylight running lights are now compulsory on all new cars registered in Europe.

andy83 likes this.
  7. ArchangelHorus New Member Getting Started

Of' course I run through the brochure. And reviews. None had this kind of detail of' course! I also read any manuals that I could find. Actually, it was the manuals (US) that pointed out these differences. So, OK, I can understand differences from regulations and laws. But I don't see how it is possible that such points as the ones I've listed are present in most of the new cars from other manufacturers, are present in other continents' Civics but are artificially disabled or missing in the EU model. Some of them also have a negative hit on security as well, in my opinion. A car that auto-locks and auto-unlocks is much safer than a car which doesn't. Headlight sensitivity is also safety related. Same for headlight pitch adjustment. So I thought to complain, because if customers don't complain, companies don't improve.

8. iulianm New Member Getting Started

Well, here are the missing things in my US Civic vs EU one:

- Auto Up/Down for all 4 windows
    - Plastic cover for trunk hinges (for the Sedan version)
    - Parking sensors front and rear
    - Tinted rear windows (called also Privacy Glass)
    - Driver’s & Passenger Seat Power Lumbar Adjust
    - Electrically retractable door mirrors
    - Adaptive damper system
    - LED fog lights

The Civic sold in Malaysia also has rear air vents.

SpeedyGee likes this.