mb6 into facelift ej9

Discussion in '6th Generation (1996-2000)' started by jdogdotcom, Tuesday 24th Nov, 2009.

1. jdogdotcom Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

hi ya guys, i've been thinking of buying a whole mb6with B18c4 and put it in my W reg ej9. so just wanted to know have i got everything for the conversion? could i use the driveshafts, loom, mounts? or do i need to get anything else?

i think mine is OBD2B and is different from the prefacelifts OBD2A

please help.

cheers

ben

2. mb6vti Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wow your gonna fit a whole MB6 into your EJ9 this I got to see :O

Most folk just fit parts from the MB6 but a whole one - respect to you mate :Wink:

On a more serious note anything can fit from the mb6 if you want it to. But your main parts are the B18C4 engine, 4x114 hubs. As for gearbox I would invest in the s80 as the s9B is only got if going down the FI route.

3. jdogdotcom Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

so which gearbox is better. the s80 or the standard s9b?

can i use the engine loom and the ECU from the mb6?

4. mb6vti Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

the engine and loom can be used - the ECU on the mb6 is a bit retarded you may want to get the p72 from the JDM teg gsr and chip it. The s80 box has better 2nd and 3rd gears. the s9b box is geared towards economy and poor for acceleration.

5. r883 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

you will need a dual post mount for the timing belt side (just the metal part that attachs to the block) you can get this from a EK4

Also you need a L shaped rear bracket again from a EK4

As for ECU, the mb6 ECU (p9k??) has an imob built in so it is easier to eithier get a p72 (teg Si) or a chipped p28, to run these you will need a conversion harness

As for the loom i don't think you can use eithier the mb6 or the ej9 one (im not a 100% sure though) you will need a EK4 or EK3 loom and may still have to do a small bit of wiring

6. r883 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Just to add there is loads of info out there on this

The b18c4 is the same as the b18c1 (teg Si) so you can search using that aswell

7. jdogdotcom Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

thx man, i've heard that driveshafts from mb6 is longer than eks and it won't fit??

8. kahn_v Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i think they should fit.

9. vtecivic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thanks for posting this thread up, i was just about to ask the same question as well. just brought a mb6 2 days ago and wanna do a engine conversion to my facelift ej9 as well.

so kahn_v u saying that the drive shafts would fit, right?

if theres a imob built into the mb6 ECU could i just change the lock as well so that im using the mb6 key to start the car? i was thinking to change the steering rack over as well coz the ej9 steering is light as fxxk.

10. Performancetek Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As said, bit of swapping of mounts and it goes in.

I've got one for sale in the traders forums, with a choice of EK mounts at no extra cost :Smile: once its in all youd need id a facelift VTI/Type-R loom with a few mods to make it all work

11. tbukhtaw Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

mate bits that u could use are the front calipers, the engine block,shafts and front 2 mount BRACKETS.

As mentioned previously you will need the fork thats sits on the timing belt side of the engine from an ek4, a set of ek4 mounts and an uber rare obd2b ek4 loom as mb6 loom Will not fit. Also remember to use the mb6 throttle cable. ECU wise your best off with a chipped one like a p28 with a b18c4 mapped chip. Also it maybe an idea to change the box as the gear ratios are really long on the mb6

12. tbukhtaw Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

also an ek4 gear linkage

The mounts brackets really needed are the side 2 and the rear t bracket. Bushes off your ej9 are reuseable

The hardest thing will be is sourcing an obd2b ek4 loom so u best get looking first :Wink:

13. jdogdotcom Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

thx guys, anything else do i need?

14. zombie86c Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i got the EK 4 mounts up the house mate if you want them for cheap

15. jdogdotcom Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

yes please mate

16. jdogdotcom Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

yes please mate

17. vti2010 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

naa m8 u will need the drive shafts ECU and loom outta the mb6 and mounts

18. vti2010 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

naa m8 u will need the drive shafts ECU and loom outta the mb6 and mounts

19. jdogdotcom Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

? if i get whole mb6 then i can use the mounts, ECU shafts and the loom, so i don need mounts and loom from an ek4???

20. jdogdotcom Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

? if i get whole mb6 then i can use the mounts, ECU shafts and the loom, so i don need mounts and loom from an ek4???