Engine & Gearbox MB6 as a daily?

Discussion in 'Honda F/H-Series' started by Nitin_s1, Friday 22nd Nov, 2013.

1. Nitin_s1 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi Civic people.  :whistle:

I was thinking about getting a daily drive to put my JDM Prelude Type-S away for winter months. :blush:   :wub:

9451269443_d505730a69_z.

Right just want to say, I have no knowledge about the Civic's and especially the MB6. I know it's 1.8VTEC and that's about it. My expertise is in the Prelude world. lol

Wanted to know if the MB6 (it's an aerodeck) would be great as daily. ?

What MPG should I get driving around town? 

Road tax for 6 months? 

Any major issues I should look out for when going to view it?

What about performance? 0-60 in sub 9 seconds? 

I don't want to mod the daily but as with all Honda's you can't help it so any aftermarket parts available for it? I heard the ITR DC2 engine is the same? 

Sorry if I asked a bit too much.  :Grin:

Thanks,

Nitin 

2. SpamGorge Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi mate, I have an mb6 aerodeck (theyre an mc2 chassis code) there's a load out there.

Main things are obvious like rust. Specific to these models are the steering rack can leak, as mine does :Frown: . The distributor can pack up on high milers. Tax is the higher bracket so same as your Prelude. They have vacuum activated intake runners that can leak and make it lose top end. Very easy fix though. The acceleration isn't blistering, its 170hp odd from new and is quite heavy by Civic standards so don't expect to have your stomach churned off the line. Its a b18c4 engine code with an LSD gearbox so not as quick as the ITR DC2 especially as the ratios are long. Some parts are available like coilovers from an EK, induction kits and exhaust manifolds. Intake manifolds are engine code specific though. Suspension and brakes are pretty much the best you can do with OEM. Can stick an MG ZS 180 rear anti roll bar on too. Wheels can be harder to come by as they have a 4x114 PCD instead of the ar 4x100.

Definate things to be done to them though and I really like mine, just wish it was lighter :Wink:

Feel free to pm me if you want I can help out with other stuff for them if you wanted my number. (typing this on my phone takes an aaaaaaage!)

Last edited by a moderator: Friday 22nd Nov, 2013
  3. DanT Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i had an mb6 as a daily.

one of the comfiest cars to drive i found

MPG averaged around 35 depending how you drive..can push bit more if you granny shift!

still had plenty of poke considering the weight

i think there a great car tbh

4. Tom_EK3_Rota Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Yep as above got one as my daily now, can't fault it one bit, seats are comfy, engine is sweet, perfect all round daily car..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

5. Nitin_s1 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Thanks guys, some positive things about the MB6..  B)

The one I want is owned by my friend so I know it will be good. Will go see it next weekend so I will let you know how I get on..

From the looks of it, it looks really nice.. Comfy seats plus long boot (Aerodeck) so will defo help me out carrying out photography equipment. 

I had a vision of just using the MB6 as a little horse to get me from A to B, but I can see my self putting the ATR Recaro seats in there plus the ATR steering wheel.. Thoughts? 

6. SpamGorge Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

ATR seats just fitted to mine! Hahaha was a pig to adapt the drivers seat though :Frown: think the steering wheel has the later bigger spline though. Would need to be confirmed by someone though

7. Aky Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Had one as a daily. Heater resistors, leaking windsreen seal and siezing rear calipers are pretty common. Nothing major.

If your do motorway driving, its pretty good on fuel. I used to get 30mpg minimum around town and thats not driving like a granny and with a shorter s4c gearbox.

My old ones up for sale now with a h22a7

8. rossco_155 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Yh they are cheap and reliable plus big cars aswell

9. SpamGorge Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Same here, forgot I had to change the rear calipers. Got a set of trailing arms complete from eg6civic on here for £50. Cheap as chips :Grin:

10. civicscott Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

All of these things happened to mine, all easy fixes though. I would definitely have another, they are comfy and feel solid, excellent cars IMO and very understated.

11. Noob Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I own an aerodeck. With 76kmiles It had an oil leak from the sump. It was rusted so i took it off. The bolts at the front off the sump wer rusty and got replaced was a pig off a job getting them off. Got the old sump onto the bench and grinded it down 3small pin sized holes so my dad welded plates in. It held paint thinner in the sump so it defently would hold oil.

12. riot68 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I used to have one as a daily too, no real issues at all and it's not slow, sub 9 for sure, very good car for the cash they fetch now...