Track Project marks track Civic

5th Generation (1992-1995) vehicle added by markcivic1981, Tuesday 27th Dec, 2016

1. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've just decided to start a build thread to show hopefully my cars progression from daily drive to track car. Now i've had this car for nine years, and only done bits and pieces as and when i could afford them. So progress is often slow. I apologise for that now. I won't be on here updating all that often.

As a brief history, i bought the car from a local importer in 2003. They had got it in on a whim that didnt pay off. The guy said he was happy to sell it at a loss, just to see the back of it. To cut a long story short, they wanted £5k for it, i haggled down to £2895. Not bad for a fresh import sir with all the extras!

I was quite happy driving around in my "grandad car" ( as my mates named it ) They stopped being so pissy when grandad blew them away with 3000rpm spare! That was it, i got the buzz, the shot in the arm.... how could i make it quicker ?

Well it started with an air filter, then some more bolt on parts. Next up a custom exhaust. As we all know, it responded well to some breathing mods. I was happy... for now....

So i turned to the suspension and brakes ( i'm still playing about with changing them now ). By now it was a fairly quick road car ( it was 2005 ) so i decided to do some work on improving its looks. I bought angel eye headlights and 3d carbon effect rear lights. FAIL!!!!. I still shudder at the thought, what was i thinking? Anyway i saw the light and got shot of them.I have since destroyed all photograpic evidence of this unfortunate mistake.

After my terrible styling episode, i thought it best to leave its looks well alone. So i started reading up on n/a engine builds. I bought books, videos, searched the web, asked advice, etc.... and came up with a shortlist of the parts which i wanted. I added it all up, then picked myself up off of the floor.I was looking at a serious amount of money. But when youre younger and without the responsibilities i guess you kind of think "sod it". Thats what i did anyway. At the time i was buying the parts, the £ was really strong to the $. At one point it was something like 2.6. Therefore i was buying everything half price and paying naff all for the import tax.

I saved up, got the parts and held them in my room for nearly a year while i saved to get it built. You see, as much as i'd love to build an engine, i just don't have the time or space. That and i don't trust myself! The build took ages and at some points was almost going backwards but it got there in the end. I had it mapped on chrome, and was fairly pleased with the results. It was certainly quicker!

I drove it around and decided it wasnt really practical as an everyday car. So i bought a £300 vw polo. What an animal! The Civic was good fun to drive, but would get me in a whole lot of trouble on the roads, plus its not safe or sensible to drive it hard on the roads. I live around 60 miles from a race track which does circuit days, so i thought " lets give that a go " Wow! what a rush, i'd found somewhere to really push myself and car to the limits, and safely. For anyone thats not done a trackday, i seriously think you should consider it.

Next up i bought some better, more supportive seats and a pair of harnesses, along with upgrading my discs and pads. I did a few more track days and got properly hooked. It was nice that people were interested in the car, with most of them thinking it had a bigger engine. It really suprised alot of people with its pace. It would be even faster with a good driver!

With the engine and brakes to a standard i was happy with, it was time to do something with the gear box.... Close ratio custom mfactory it was then! Without a doubt, one of the best things I've ever put on the car. I'll explain more as i update the thread.

So if you've bothered to read this far, thats where i'm at really. My future plans are to make it abit lighter, to replace some panels, tidy it up abit, sort some bushing out along with the rollbars. Its an ongoing project so lets see what happens!...

Now for a couple of photos....

Local trackday

DSC_0205-Copy.

Trackday

LMP_8915_RedOrange.

My son doing pit crew duties!

ollie.

I'll add more as and when i can. Thanks for looking.

Mark

2. Wilsonic Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Nice read that dude. Like the way the car is looking! I'm thinking about an Mfactory box for mine.

Other mods you might want to look at if your track day-ing it is a DC2 Type-R steering rack and remove the powersteering, Still one of my fav mods to mine.

3. Mike#10 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well done Mark, bet that took some time to do.

That engine bay looks clean.

Keep us posted

4. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cheers for the positive comments, it means alot! I have removed the P/S, and ABS, and tcs. I think the sir had a fairly quick rack as standard/ I'm happy with it at the moment anyway. The gear box is brilliant! changing gear without dropping out of the power band makes a much better drive. You should have a play on the mfactory online gear calculator if you haven't already?

Cheers Mike! It took ages. Im a one finger Type-R, a slow one at that. There a couple of builds on here ( yours being one of them ) that have prompted me into this.I'll try to keep you updated. I have abit of time on my hands as you know!

I'll type up a spec sheet or something similar over the next day or two....

Last edited by a moderator: Monday 13th Feb, 2012
  5. Wilsonic Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Do that for sure!

6. smash Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sounds like you've got a long history with this car lol.

Looks great on the track, whats the current engine spec?

7. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My Gear box spec sheet....

All calculations worked out with 195/55/15 tyres and 9100 rev limit...

Standard box

1st = 3.230 45mph

2nd = 2.105 69mph

3rd = 1.458 99mph

4th = 1.107 130mph

5th = 0.848 170mph

reverse = 3.000

final drive = 4.400

I've had fitted a mfactory close ratio 3rd, 4th,5th,final drive, and helical LSD. Including shifter bushings, new bearings, new OEM 1st and 2nd, and synchros.

mfactory box

1st = 3.230 40mph

2nd = 2.105 61mph

3rd = 1.623 79mph

4th = 1.296 99mph

5th = 1.000 129mph

reverse = 3.000

final drive = 4.928

Hope that makes sense? If anyone want any further info i'd suggest reading the mfactory website, or i'll offer my limited advice!

Thanks for looking...

Mark

Engine spec and dyno print out to follow in the next few days.

And yes i have 9 years of history with the car now. Longer then most celebrity marriages!

8. Civic92 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well I didn't expect that. When you commented saying I was doing something similar I thought it was going to be as messy as mine ^_^ Looks bloody nice though mate. Very tidy!

9. Saifskyline Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Nice one Mark, looks great!

10. Mike#10 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well done Mark, if you need any advice you know where to ask.

11. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Its not all clean i can assure you. The inside is abit of a mess. I won't be spraying or trimming any of it, just stripping it out. Its nice to have a clean engine and nice bodywork, but im not too concened with the inside.

Mike you've already been more then helpful!

12. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Heres a quick teaser for my spec sheet. I'm pleased with the results but would like to improve on the torque curve. From what i've read and been told, a flatter curve would make the car more driveable and aid exiting corners? I think the exhaust system is holding the engine back now.

Any advice or comments ( positive and negative ) is appriciated.

cpl2762011dyno.

13. Saifskyline Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Im interested to see the spec list for the engine!!!! B16A engines are impressive

14. benwh555 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Pretty impressive mate, can't wait to see the full spec. I've heard the m factory box's are one on the best mods you can do. I'm going to look into one for mine.

15. EGH_22 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Wow buddy im liking ur thread, nice pictures bud would like to see more, like the engine shot most want to see it from another angle,

Whats ya engine spec buddy?

16. gorath23 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Dude, I'd love to know the engine specs as that's the figure I'm aiming for. Nice to see someone investing long-term in one of these.

17. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Spec sheet...

Engine:-

Balanced, micro polished crank

Light weight pulley

Acl race bearings

Manley I beam connecting rods

Arp pins

JE 81.5 high compression pistons

Cometic head gasket

Exedy stage 1 clutch

Act light weight flywheel

Skunk2 pro +2 stage 2 cams

Skunk2 valves

Skunk2 valve springs

Ferrea valve guides

Skunk2 cam gears

Viton stem seals

Hondata inlet manifold gasket

Skunk2 inlet manifold, custom bored to 70mm

Skunk2 70mm throttle body

D.a.c / custom intake pipe

K&n air filter

Custom cold air feed and custom heat shield

Super sprint heat wrapped exhaust manifold

De-cat pipe

Custom exhaust

Msd distributor cap

Msd external coil

Magnacore ht leads

Ngk plugs

Custom moon cut cam cover

Spoon carbon Kevlar plug cover

Skunk2 I am unable to spell VTEC properly. I must be taught. solenoid cover

Buddy club race spec condenser/earths

Walbro in tank pump

Aem fuel filter

Aem fuel rail

Aem fuel pressure regulator

Rc 310cc fuel injectors

Mugen baffled sump

Greddy oil cooler

Greddy oil filter relocation kit

Hamp oil filter

Oddessy race battery

Fluidyne alloy radiator

Sfs hose kit

Spl slimline fan

Arp head and main bolts

Signal oil catch tank

Gearbox:-

Skunk2 duel bend gear lever

Custom gear knob

Mfactory gear linkage bushes

Mfactory helical lsd

Mfactory hlhs bearings

Mfactory carbon-moly synchros

Mfactory 3rd,4th,5th gears

Mfactory final drive

Goodrich braided clutch line

Wheels:-

Rota circuit 8’s with toyo r888’s

Work stark II split rims with toyo t1r’s

Oem Jordan alloys with ?

Light weight wheel nuts

Brakes:-

1” ek9 master cylinder and servo

Brake bias valve

Braided brake lines

NSX callipers

Ebc 282mm front discs

Ebc yellowstuff front pads

Ebc redstuff rear pads

Millers 300 fluid

Electrics:-

Defi link control box

Defi oil pressure gauge

Defi oil temp gauge

Defi water temp gauge

Apexi I am unable to spell VTEC properly. I must be taught. controller

Apexi rsm

Defi rpm gauge with shift light

Hondata s300 ecu, mapped by Guy at Cpl

Chassis & Body :-

Custom front bumper- air intake and radiator intake

Tinted windows

Seibon carbon bonnet with custom air intake

Tein super street coilovers with top mounts

Skunk2 front camber arms

Skunk2 rear camber arms

J’s racing front upper strut brace

J’s racing engine torque damper

Cusco front lower brace

Tanabe rear upper brace

Signal c pillar brace

Cusco 8 point roll cage

Beaks rear lower brace

Interior:-

Stripped rear seats and boot- Custom panels

Fire extinguisher

Momo suede steering wheel

Buddy club bucket seats on low rails

Luke 4 point harnesses

I've got quite a few bits waiting to go on now, but need the weather to improve first. I'll update with a "things to do" list soon. If anyone needs any further information ask on here as it may help others.

Thanks for looking. Mark

Last edited by a moderator: Wednesday 15th Feb, 2012
  18. EGH_22 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

F**king hell thats impressive, what a spec list mark, like what u have done pal great work, look forward to seeing more on this build

19. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cheers fella! Like i said, its been a long time in the making, and its still being built really. You may well see it on the road sometime as im not that far from colchester

20. Civic92 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Woa. What a speclist. Envious!