Lowered Cars.. Roofs kinking

Discussion in '6th Generation (1996-2000)' started by andy-g_lfc, Sunday 15th Nov, 2009.

1. andy-g_lfc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

So I've had my coupe lowered as good bit for a while now (bout 90/100mm) A few people have mentioned the roof kinking??

I know alot of Civic life have had their cars decked the way they should be has anyone ever had their roof kink? Anyone have any information on it? How to prevent it and stuff??

2. Gary. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've never heard of a Civics roof kinking. ever.

3. gumbar Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

thats random, are you actualy sure it is?? if that is the case i think i would be looking into the structule soundness of the car, my hatch was lower than that and i never saw 1 kink

4. Performancetek Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

my jordans roof was kinked, but that was cos the chassis leg was kinked even worse :-D

heavy front impact crashes make the roof kink, tell tale sign of a previously written off Civic, they always kink on the thin strip of steel each side of the sunroof.

5. andy-g_lfc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

My roof hasnt kinked and i wouldn't say the people telling me my roof might kink would know exactly what they are talking about..

A guy i was talking to said his 3rd Generation gti golf kinked and my mate had an ep2 which he said started to kink :Messed:

6. andy-g_lfc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry guys worded the first psot wrong.. The people where not saying my car had kinked but that it might kink

7. James Rowe Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

IF its been in an accident it may, if yours has not then very very very unlikely!

8. andy-g_lfc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

The only bits that have been painted on my car is a wing and a bit up the side but when i got it checked it didnt have any structural damage so probably just the old aged previous owner has run it along a wall or something..

I just don't want the roof kinking so much that the middle of the car trails the ground :Tongue:

9. stepawayfromthemachine Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

In general a cars roof will only kink from a front or rear heavy impact. I'm an estimator in a bodyshop and have thousands and thousands of damaged cars worth of experience and it takes a pretty heavy impact for a roof to kink. Even more so on a 3 door shell over a 5 door shell.

Mainly a shell will kink when it's had a direct impact on the end of a chassis leg, these are very very strong, which transmits the energy of the impact through to a weaker part of the car. As the a post/roof rail is also very strong the next place to crumple will be the roof, and this will also cause the car to generally twist in the direction of the impacted side.

Your shocks/springs bolt up to your inner wheelhouse, as well as the knuckle on your suspension/steering components so any pressure in an upwards direction would firstly dome the strut housing and the kink the bulkhead, and from the way that Hondas and most cars are manufactured it would be highly highly unlikely that this would transfer into kinking your roof. If it did happen I would be very interested to know the circumstances as to how it happened and have a look at the car myself to see it first hand. HTH.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 15th Nov, 2009
  10. andy-g_lfc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks very much that basically answered my question..

Some good advice!

The way some people have been talking its like the roof or the whole car will kink just by having it lowered

11. jdmek Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Adam London
    i have seen small dimples near the sunroof on a Civic that was tracked heaily but that was more to do with chassis twist under hard cornering.

12. MeisterR Commercial Services Trader

That sounds scary... :O

13. kahn_v Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

my car never had kinks on the roof , it also had an accident from the front,

14. stepawayfromthemachine Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not so much of a problem as it used to be as cars are designed to crumple in specific ways nowadays. We've all heard of crumple zones I'm sure and this is part if that process. All car manufacturers now have to design there models with occupant safety as a priority so whilst externally the vehicle may bend, the passenger structure remains intact. Cars also have to meet certain requirements with regards to frontal impacts to pedestrians also, so materials used and the shape of panels have to conform to these standards.

The use of HSS (high strength steels/ boron or composite steels) also plays a big part in car design, allowing engineers and design teams far more control over how a car reacts under impact and where it will bend. Not so helpful for us repairers though, as there are rules regarding repair methods, which means traditional techniques can't be used. Great for safety but it means generally more costs which is leading to higher write off/ total loss rates so less work for us.

Have it in mind though that the above regarding HSS doesn't apply to most of us running older cars here, I'm not that up to date with Honda design so far as there latest models, but I don't think they are quite so aggresive as other manufacturers in it's use at present although I will have a look into it when I get a moment.

15. Manbond Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

yeah mine has these 'scars' been driven hard tracked.hard set up,the lot! never been in a bump to my knowlage!i do know the previous owner drove it that hard with the race susspension on it that front top part of screen popped out of its seal!!

mb

16. jdmek Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

yeah my seals sit a bit wonkey to lol. suppose they never intended an EJ chassis to be tracked lol.

17. jdmek Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

yeah my seals sit a bit wonkey to lol. suppose they never intended an EJ chassis to be tracked lol.