Engine & Gearbox Low clutch bite point following new clutch

Discussion in '8th Generation (2006-2011)' started by AlanR8, Friday 15th Mar, 2019 at 10:43pm.

1. AlanR8 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Alan Manchester
    Evening. 2009 Type-S diesel, 108,000 miles. About 2,000 miles ago the clutch started slipping, typically 5th gear accelerating on the motorway.

I had the clutch replaced in January, NOT the flywheel, and it was replaced with a LUK self adjusting clutch. The pedal was low and despite investigations my garage could not resolve the issue. In fairness to them, they replaced the clutch again yesterday/today under warranty this time with a Exedy clutch/part.

Unfortunately the issue has NOT been resolved, the bite point is VERY low in the pedal travel. They have tried adjusting the clutch pedal, no difference.

Anyone have any ideas? Totally spoilt my enjoyment of the car.

2. Zebster Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Although the engagement is low, presumably the clutch is actually clearing when depressed and allowing gears to be easily engaged at standstill?

While there's no strong reason why air should have got in during the clutch change, it may be worth bleeding the clutch hydraulic system, although I'd have expected the garage to have thought of this before replacing the clutch for a second time! It can sometimes be tricky to bleed these Civic systems, the procedure below is copied from the Honda workshop manual for your Civic and refers to using a block of wood...

Remove the bleeder screw cap. Bleed the clutch hydraulic system.
    • Attach a hose to the bleeder screw (A), and suspend the hose in a container of brake fluid.
    • Make sure there is an adequate supply of fluid in the clutch master cylinder, then slowly pump the clutch pedal until no more bubbles appear at the bleeder hose.
    • It may be necessary to limit the movement of the release fork (B) with a block of wood to remove all the air from the system.
    • Tighten the bleeder screw to 8 N·m (0.8 kgf·m, 6 lbf·ft); do not overtighten it.
    • Refill the clutch master cylinder with fluid when done.
    • Use only Honda DOT 3 or 4 Brake Fluid from an unopened container.
    • Confirm clutch operation and check for leaking fluid.

Last edited: Saturday 16th Mar, 2019 at 9:02am
    honda_saj and DrSam like this.
  3. AlanR8 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Alan Manchester
    Thanks for that and yes they have bled the system. Your assumption is correct, I can change gears so long as the clutch is fully depressed. Most obvious if trying to change gear at higher revs.

4. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    how did they adjust clutch pedal and how low are we talking ?