loud exhaust hated by the police

Discussion in '6th Generation (1996-2000)' started by d7nmr, Saturday 28th Nov, 2009.

1. d7nmr Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i got a full through exhaust with a 4-1 manifold, de-cat, 3inch centre pipe and 4.5inch backbox. i was giving it some the other day near town when the fuzz stopped me and said my exhaust was tooooo loud (it is really rowdy) and they could take the car away from me and make me redo the MOT. is this true and whats the most they can do and what are MY rights, any1?

video of my exhaust and what is sounds like :Smile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3pzBwCZ5vQ

2. Bong Guest

My god that sounds awful

3. Shib786 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

didnt they say nothing about your num plate :Grin:

4. d7nmr Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

yea they made me change the number plate to original font and size and the long plates and not import style.

5. razor. Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I would have arrested you tbf

6. Bon Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Change it to a 60mm centre pipe (like it should be, assuming thats a B16 VTi) and it'll be quieter, slightly

7. d7nmr Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

tbh honest mate i think the cops got better things to do :Smile:

8. MUGEN-RR Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

pat's been down from preston i think, ask him how loud mine is, lol, never been stopped by it, also me bro had to change his number plates, he can have the same jap size plate due to it being an import but the font has to be the legal size.

9. loveland Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

man that sounds sweet :Tongue: fuck the police lol but i suppose you could look for a bung, and remember decat pipes are illegal so make sure that you don't mention it to them. and if they do pull you over, you could plead ignorance (watch me get roasted for this) and say you didnt realise it was illegal as it was like it when you bought it with its MOT :Smile:

10. Bong Guest

In all seriousness you can't blame them, if thats what it sounds like revving up to 3-4K RPM I don't want to know what it sounds like on cam

Plus like Bon says, a 3" bore on a 1.6 NA is too much

11. d7nmr Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i've got a 60mm centre pipe but with that i seem to lose performace. is that suppose to be right?

12. donzo Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No they're not.

13. steveodey Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

believe it or not there is a limit on noise it can produce to pass an MOT, i had s13 and that failed because it was so loud so i stuck a bean can over the end with a few holes in it and it passed then i got it bk and took it straight off again lol and kept it for next year.

14. Bon Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Unless you plan to go turbo soon, a 60mm exhaust is what you really want for your car. Not 3"

15. Turkish Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm sorry but that sounds fucking poo.

16. donzo Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Like a Spec 2.

17. loveland Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

they arent? :O i always thought they were? my apologies for misinforming you if i was wrong lol

18. Jono Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Its ok, most people reply to technical threads on here without having a clue as to what they are replying with

19. donzo Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's not a legal requirement for any car to have a catalytic converter for the MOT as long as it passes the emissions.