General Looking at 2016 CR-V - No Sat-Nav ?

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Moss, Tuesday 28th Aug, 2018.

1. Moss Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Gent's
    I'm considering buying a Honda CR-V 1.6 Diesel a 2016 model with 20,000 miles on the clock, one owner in excellent condition; but it has no Sat-Nav; How important is a Sat-Nav to you guy's? I was looking for a CR-V with a Sat-nav.
    Would be from Honda Dealership near my home.

2. Hatter Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Peter Rotherham
    Sat nav is useful, but the Garmin in my experience is not the best. Only get map updates once a year and traffic is by Trafficmaster and can be way out of time. Stood in many a queue for ages where Trafficmaster said road clear. Latest system updates have improved the GPS (quite often the car icon would wander all over the place) and routing now better but still not perfect (previously told to turn left into a field!).

Moss likes this.
  3. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    Moss

Don't need it. Don't like it.

Still use maps..............

Peter

I like steam trains too. What's the one on your avatar?

Phil

Moss likes this.
  4. Moss Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

maybe using an iPhone and Waze app is better than an in vehicle sat-nav. Just plug in to the vehicle connection for mobile phone.

5. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    As Hatter says above. I've never come across an in-car sat-nav (I had to put the hyphen in as if I didn't the damn tablet kept changing the words) that was in any way as good as a standard stand alone Tom Tom or Garmin (even though the Honda built-in one is a Garmin) at a quarter of the price. The only reason I've got the in-car sat-nav is because it came as part of the package. I certainly wouldn't spec it if I didn't have to.

It also has to be said (and has been on here many times before) that the whole Honda IT system is a long way behind other car manufacturers.

Keith

Moss likes this.
  6. Hatter Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Peter Rotherham
    Sorry to pinch the post but in reply ...

Hi Phil
    That is Black 5 45428 'Eric Treacy' entering Pickering on North Yorks Moors Railway.
    Recently went on West Highland line from Fort William to Mallaig. Hauled by Black 5, 44871, the afternoon train was hauled by 'The Lancashire Fusilier', both Riley owned engines.
    Thanks
    Peter

Moss and Phil P like this.
  7. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    Moss

Sorry about the steam engine enquiry here. Bit rude of me that.

Although I do not use sat- navs my wife and two grown up sons use them all of the time. None of their cars have sat nav installed and they use stand alone ones that plug into an accessory slot. I am not aware of any in car sat-nav system that improves on stand alone ones, and you can put the screen wherever you feel most comfortable rather that it being in the middle of the dashboard.

Phil

Moss likes this.
  8. Davec Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dave Chippenham
    A built in sat-nav probably isn't as good in some ways as a portable one, but you don't have to faff around hiding it every time you park. You also get a bigger screen with the built in Garmin one, which is useful.

Moss likes this.
  9. phil-k Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom phil-k stoke on trent
    Another thing is with a standalone satnav you don't have to sit in the car while you are planning a route

10. Heckler Community Staff Club H-Tune

These days with modern smart phones, a satnav isn't as essential as it once was... However there are still upsides to having one... Personally I will only by the EX spec as I want that leather and heated seats and it's hard to find them on lower specs. These tend to come with satnav as part of the package, so it's a bonus rather than an essential as I can use my phone. You also normally get an upgraded more premium sound system over the base head units.

It all depends on what level of equipment is 'essential' to you... for me that leather and heated seats is a deal breaker as it helps with my back pain on trips and in cold weather.