General Lexus RC300h

Discussion in 'Lounge & Gossip' started by FirstHonda, Wednesday 6th Feb, 2019.

1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    Unfortunately one of my Winter tyres has a nail in it and is unrepairable :brickwall:

Turns out the exact model of tyre has now been discontinued - the Bridgestone Blizzak Evo-80 - but luckily I've still been able to find one online in the right size. There is a new model Blizzak available which I guess is pretty much the same, but still better to have exactly the same on the same axle I guess.

Anyway, the upside is that while we wait the 3 or 4 days for the tyre to be delivered, Lexus have provided me with this. And very nice it is too! Not sure I'd fancy the RWD on an icy road, but even so...:Grin:

Afraid I got it a bit dirty driving back to rural Wiltshire on the country lanes too :Whistle:

fullsizeoutput_508. fullsizeoutput_50a.

2. Zebster Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes, I do like that.

3. Sandy52 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sandy NORWICH
    I wonder why they had one of these sitting around as a loan car.
    Maybe they are not selling? I hear that these hybrids make a very dull drive. WHat did you think of it?

4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ There were no loan cars available so they gave me the brand new sales demonstrator. The dealer always looks after me - I've had a GS, an RX and now this - they try to give you something different every time to drive the brand. Customer service really is exceptional.

Yes, the media say the hybrids are dull to drive, but that's because they are German car obsessed as we all know. It's a great drive. Not if you're a journalist where future advertising revenue depends on giving favourable reviews to brands shortly to be trashed by Brexit (can only live in hope) but for normal people...and the quality makes a BMW 4-Series feel like it was made by Airfix. :Laughing:

Sandy52 likes this.
  5. vincemince Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What’s real world MPG ?

6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I've done about 200 miles so far and the computer says 42.1mpg. Official figures say early 50's MPG but I'm not sure I could drive a car like this to get figures like that!

As with my NX Hybrid, motorway speed trashes MPG. Local roads up to 50mph and congested city driving is where it really pays off. On a motorway you are - as the dealer told me - effectively driving a 2.5 litre petrol engined car with a load of heavy batteries in the boot...

7. vincemince Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have only seen one of these locally in sonic red - Looked rather good
    Interestingly Tesla seems to be coming on in my neck of the woods? Three years ago there was only one now there are about seven Although I have noticed they don’t seem to stay
    Seen an RR Wraith in pure white today stunning

FirstHonda likes this.
  8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I see a few Teslas in Bristol, but not out here in the sticks. Even my NX stands out as it is too new, even if it is usually covered in mud. Vehicles of choice are either old hatchbacks (Fiestas and similar) or older Subaru/Land Rover/Shogun.

I've gradually realised that anybody who turned up in one of the villages around here in a new 'sporty' BMW/Mercedes/Audi would probably end up in the wicker man...I've been at pains to point out that my current RC courtesy car is NOT MINE!! :lol:

9. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    That depends on how you drive, once you get used to the hybrid system you can get the car running on electric or part-electric up to 60mph. Anything over 60mph will be petrol only.

10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

On my NX the electric motors don't operate above 50mph. Brilliant in town - although easy to surprise pedestrians which can be tricky because of the silence - but on a motorway apart from charging the batteries the hybrid system doesn't come into play at all.

Glad to see Honda has a hybrid CR-V finally...

@Sandy52 this series of reviews of what an NX hybrid is like to drive/own is very balanced and reflects my own opinions.

https://www.driving.co.uk/car-reviews/extended-tests/extended-test-2018-lexus-nx-300h-review/

Last edited: Saturday 16th Feb, 2019
  11. John Dickson Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've got IS300h at the moment and I would not say it's dull to drive. Even in "ECO" mode it's got decent enough pick up. I'm getting 44MPG on mixed driving at the moment (far better than I've ever got out of a diesel on such driving).

If tomorrow's announcement about Swindon says what it is expected to hopefully we'll get more range from Honda and dare I say Accord and Legend return which would be great to see...... We may even get other models returning hopefully....

12. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

I guess each model has a slightly different setup, on my GS 450H the electric motors can run in unison to petrol engine right up to 60MPH, however, the road needs to be totally flat or have a slight decline. When it does this economy shoots up to like 60-70MPG.

13. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    I need something like that lol, I only get 45ish MPG lol

14. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

It's only momentary! It's a 3.5 litre beast, averages about 30 to 35MPG mostly :Laughing:

15. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

oh, get excited. guess thats no good for me then.

16. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

Here you go @FirstHonda and @DrSam

Excuse the quality and angle of the pic, my son took it leaning over but as you can see I'm doing 70mph and getting 60MPG (instantaneous reading), I'm definitely on the power and not coasting as I'm using 10Kw of power. If I was coasting this would be 0 or less (less being re-generating power). Only achieving this as the road was flat.
    upload_2019-2-25_7-39-34.

Here's another one but demanding a bit more power from the engine but still doing about 50MPG
    upload_2019-2-25_7-46-39.

Here you can see my average over like 180mile run, of which 60 was in town and 120 was on the motorway.
    upload_2019-2-25_7-45-14.

Not bad for a 3.5 litre, 340BHP, beast. Of course, if you press the loud pedal it doesn't half shift, 0-60 in around 5.5 seconds but your economy figures will be totally trashed. Really depends how you fancy driving it, it's amazing it covers both bases really well though.

Last edited: Wednesday 27th Feb, 2019
    FirstHonda likes this.
  17. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

That's really good, with 340bhp, i don't know how you resist not putting your foot down lol

18. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

Don't worry, the beast gets released quite often, mostly at the weekends. Economy mode is only for commuting during the week :Smile:

DrSam likes this.
  19. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I think - but I'm not sure - that on the NX the electric motors are used to give extra power and grip on the undriven wheels, i.e. electric motors on the rear wheels make it '4WD.' That may be why the hybrid system seems to work diffferently than in a normal saloon.

Even so, I get an easy 40mpg average in mixed driving and 50mpg plus on a 40-50mph rural journey. It's the motorway where economy suffers.

20. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

Ah yes that would be a totally different setup to the GS 450H's