Suspension, Steering and Brakes Leaking power steering pipe - OK to drive?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by buzzbee, Wednesday 13th Feb, 2019.

1. buzzbee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Buzz Berkshire, UK
    I was just hoping for a little advice…

My car is a 2006 Accord 2.2i-CDTi EX 4D manual saloon

I recently opened the bonnet to find something had spurted all over the engine. There had been a loud rhythmic clicking noise from the engine over the previous couple of days. The AA looked and said that it was the Power Steering pump, that the noise I could hear was the bearings and that I needed a new pump.

I took it to my mechanic who said that the pump was fine, but I had a leak in the power steering pipe. He put some putty on as a temporary fix, while I ordered a new pipe from ebay, which has now arrived. It still leaks slightly, but has been OK to drive (I have been keeping an eye on the fluid level)

My mechanic is now on holiday. It will be about another 10 days before he is able to fit the pipe

My question is a simple one – If I wait for him to return, keeping an eye on the fluid level (I have only needed to top it up very slightly once in the week I have been waiting for the pipe), am I going to be doing any damage?

I am a little concerned about the noise, but I guess that’s a separate matter. It wasn’t making much noise when the mechanic had it, which may be why he didn't fell a new pump was required. I suspect the AA patrol might have been right and I might need a new pump anyway, but for now, I will just get the leak sorted

2. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    The noise may be air i would have ordered hose and new seals and flush with new fluid to see how that goes, anyways as long as you keep eye on it there will be no issue, the worst that can happen is power steering pump will stop working and steering will become heavy which can be dangerous if going round a bend, however if leak and you top up daily should not be a major issue.

doublevision and buzzbee like this.
  3. buzzbee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Saj
    I am sure it will be fine. The leak is extremely minor. If I just open the bonnet, I only see any sign of a leak when I turn the wheel and even then, it is just a small dripping. I have a bottle of Honda PSF in the car, so can keep it topped up if required

honda_saj likes this.
  4. Zebster H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

Mine dumped all its PSF an hour away from home, but I drove it home without any drama... most of time the lack of assistance wasn't even noticeable. And once I repaired the wrecked cooler and flushed with new PSF there were no after-effects. But I guess it'd catch you out if you lost assistance just as you entered a corner at speed...

honda_saj likes this.
  5. MattBeardless Manager in Training H-Tune Staff

United Kingdom Matt Derby
    I've driven a car with no PAS fluid before, doesn't do the rack or pump much good...and both aren't exactly cheap. I'd suggest getting the line replaced ASAP if you plan to use it a lot, even if it means going to another garage.

Realistically, keep it topped up and only use Honda genuine fluid to maintain the bearings within the pump.

P.S. We've currently got 3x 1l bottles of it in stock, available for dispatch today if you need it,
    That's available for you to order here: https://h-tune.co.uk/genuine-honda-power-steering-fluid/

Hope this helps. :Smile:

honda_saj likes this.
  6. SpeedyGee The Invincible Admin Club H-Tune

England Speedy Birmingham
    Yes I was going to say, the pump will not like running dry at all.

honda_saj likes this.
  7. Zebster H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

Yes, the pump worried me but fortunately it must have been wet enough inside to survive for an hour. I was fairly relaxed about having to replace the pump with a cheap secondhand one if necessary, however if it had actually seized during the drive home then it would have caused me a problem! Being at the lowest point, I doubt that the rack would become dangerously dry though.

honda_saj likes this.
  8. Hondalad Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Steve Derbyshire
    Has the noise got no better since you filled it up with fluid? What you might of heard is cavitation with the pump running low on fluid which sounds awful. Have you turned it lock to lock a few times with the engine running since you filled it back up to get rid of any air locks?

doublevision and Zebster like this.
  9. MattBeardless Manager in Training H-Tune Staff

United Kingdom Matt Derby
    Very valid question, bleeding it alone tends to help a hell of a lot.

10. SpeedyGee The Invincible Admin Club H-Tune

England Speedy Birmingham
    Worth doing yes, but depending on which side the leak is on, you maybe sucking in air into the system anyway.

honda_saj and Zebster like this.
  11. buzzbee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Matt. I have an almost full bottle. I have used very little so far

It's never gone dry thankfully. The PSF level went down to the 'minimum' level, so I topped it up. After my mechanic put putty on the pipe, it went down to 'minimum' again, but since filling it back to the 'maximum' level, it has remained there

The noise has improved a little, but not gone completely

I'll give it a try

Thanks all

honda_saj likes this.
  12. Heckler Community Staff Club H-Tune

I had a minor leak in my PS hose on the tourer a couple of years ago, kept it topped up with fluid once a week until I could get it repaired (A few weeks due to no money until end of month)... Providing the fluid doesn't drop too low it'll be fine... and on the plus side, I put so much fluid in it (about two thirds of a litre) as well as the new fluid when the hose was changed... that it's basically had a full fluid flush. :Smile:

MattBeardless likes this.