lca bolts

Discussion in 'Steam Room' started by likekites, Friday 11th Dec, 2009.

1. likekites Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i love it when one snaps

2. stevti Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

me too mate best thing ever!! i was so overjoyed when my rear nearside sheared while removing my old koni's! Ended up having to take the whole lca off and have the whole bush pressed out!!! happy, happy days!!

3. Jono Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've changed about 10 sets of these now and have never had any snap on me

Its all in the preperation

4. likekites Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

its all in the previous owners leaving things alone and the fact the bolt had never been undone since good ol 99

now the question of getting it out :/

5. stevti Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

your absolutely right dude, although no one can prep for a thoroughly seized bolt that has become one with its surrounding bush sleeve lol! we were sooooo 'gentle' with it but it still went, all good though, its all a learning curve ha!

6. likekites Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

not when its through the bush also connecting your control arm to your hub, going to be a shit to get out

7. haggis Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i've got LCA bushes for sale if you need any mate :O

8. BigJames Commercial Services Trader

Too right... I forgot to WD40 one on my EM1 - and that is the only one that gave me troubles... but that was diabolically bad

9. dozzy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Been there, pain in the fucking derriere!

10. Dan Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Dan Oldbury
    Snap-On buzz gun FTW i must add...

I always get a local garage to buzz gun the 6 bolts loose before i start on new Civics I've purchased with standard un-touched arms on, Shocking them out rather than trying to bend them out always works better!

11. steveodey Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

12. kowalski Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

james scotland
    8)

13. SamiG Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

This ^^^

Oxy Acetylene and a windy gun :Wink:

14. Jono Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Drew you kill me everytime!! haha

15. Bong Guest

Oi! :Tongue:

Not my fault I have an indecisive mind :Frown:

16. 1964 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

drill it out? Need to get my one out on the driver side and drop the whole lca on the other side coz it's stopping the suspension from dropping out :Frown: Will have to put a 16mm socket on a 17mm bolthead URGH. sometimes, I cannot be fucked with cars.

17. likekites Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

same idea my dad had, didnt end well haha

you can help me get it out then sami after interupting me last night with your call :Wink:

18. 1964 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

ooo XD um...tbh, i would just say buy new lower end stuff man. Tempted to do so myself but waiting on a job to come my way.

19. likekites Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

mate I've got new arms to go on but i can't get the rest of the bolt out, and its the one holding my control arm onto my hub :/ looks like IMA drill it out or try some poretty special tactics

20. 1964 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

All sorts of methods, all over the internet mate, i've been looking into it as much as i can just so that i don't round the head off this LCA bolt any more...

Screw extractors:

http://homerepair.about.com/od/interiorhomerepair/ss/screw_extractor_3.htm

Try using a normal method of getting it out with and oxy-actelene torch around the bit which it's screwed into as well?