Engine & Gearbox lazy mans engine swap. b16 on carbs?

Discussion in 'Honda B-Series' started by Smiley, Friday 18th Dec, 2009.

1. Smiley Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

most of my mates are kitcar fan boys. they run ford zetecs, vauxhall 2l 16v, rover kseries engines, and various other engines to boot.

to avoid complicated wiring, and fuel systems they convert there engines to run twin webbers. 45 dcoe's ftw.

my thinking was. could you not convert a b16 to run twin 45's, and use the americans favourite RPM activated switch to control the VTEC?

i know people will flame me and say fuel injection is superior, and it will lose power over standard. but that part doesnt interested me.

just was seeing if there was a simpler alternative to b series upgrades for the old dx, and ef carb models that didnt include tank and line swaps, and also lose the complicated wiring

Last edited by a moderator: Friday 18th Dec, 2009
  2. daz-civic Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

carbs has been done before and i know there was a faze of it in japan a little while ago but its hard to find any info on it

3. Smiley Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

well atleast now i know its been done before. May have a play and see what i can figure out. Cheers

4. Gynx Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No reason why not , if you can fabricate the correct inlet plenum to do it

5. Smiley Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

hopefully, I've made one for a zetec recently, it wasnt too pretty but it worked. and a first attempt.

hopefully my b16 effort will be better.

just waiting for the right set off webbers to come up on ebay, and find a RPM activated switch then it experimental time

6. typeRtony Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Im sure it could work. but it would probably be more trouble to convert to carbs than sorting the wiring.

not to mention having to tune it and try to get a smooth running engine.

I converted my b16 wiring loom to fit to my metro using the honda engine loom and ECU so that all the dash dials work. It took about a day and a half.

I had my mini running a ITR engine, throttle bodies and a dta ECU and i wouldn't mess around with throttle bodies and after market ecus again.

Its nice to be able to just turn the key and have it start right up and drive great.

7. Smiley Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i had a metro with a b16 too. I just converted the entire car to honda wiring. But soon discovered, it didn't matter how much fun it was. When sat in rush hour i looked like a nob in a shitty metro. I have no fear of wiring looms, but many do, and plus i like to be different. Also with carbs i can run a uber tucked bay!

8. Smiley Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

oh and yes i know what you mean about turning the key and just driving off, but i have my daily and a eg8 for that. This would probably only come out to play on lovely days and meets.

9. daz-civic Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

well it sounds like you have enough know how and skills to actually do it and figure out ways round any problems you come across so give it a crack and post up a how to

10. Jay k Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

i had a d16a9 on carbs and was mega rapid but takes alot of setting up all the time.

11. ozz9955 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Why would you bother with VTEC if you're running carbs? Defeats the object surely :-/

12. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

why??

carbs are purely a fuel delivery system??

13. ozz9955 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah, a very uneconomical one - and he said it'll be for track and weekends or whatever. VTEC is for economy...since when do you need economy with a car built for power?

14. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

VTEC is for economy I agree but it's also for top end performance, having 2cam

profiles allowing both. If what your saying is basically keep VTEC engaged then you would then be making the car slower by driving the bigger cam below it's intended RPM.

I'm not sure what you actually mean tbh?

I think carbs on a perfectly good engine that alreaddy uses a decent injection system is backwards myself because as alreaddy said the wiring would more than likely be easier than fabbing parts for carbs to fit and setting the carbs up

15. ozz9955 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well yes, but since when do you town drive a track car? You need power in the higher band, so VTEC is a waste of time, effort and money if the car is to be used properly! Otherwise, may as well go for ITBs.

16. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

He's not building it for economy, he's just building it and doesn't want to faff about wiring in a b16. I am totally confused to what your argument is lol

17. Smiley Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

ozz you make no sense. Even a track car would at some point drop out of VTEC. But this will be a weekend car, as much fun as ragging it is, do you really believe you can drive everywhere at 5200rpm and above anyway. I don't. Coming out of my garage. Driving around residential area's i will be driving sensible, which involves lower cam use. Have VTEC engage constantly would just be stupid. Especially when engine is cold. Thats gonna be one shit lumpy drive. How many track cars on here do you know that has VTEC engaged constantly? I.m gonna say non. No matter what fueling system you use VTEC is a good system. Only drag cars have VTEC killa cams. And this aint no drag car.

18. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

the only benefeit of VTEC killa cams or locking VTEC engaged is less moving parts in the head therefore less being driven and less drag. for some motors like proper race stuff then it would make sense, stuff that lives in the redline. otherwise it would be silly

19. captain_sl0w Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

that doesnt make sense at all

The benefit to a dedicated racing engine is the reduction in valvetrain weight which promotes high RPM stability - essentially raising the effective RPM ceiling of the engine and its peak power potential. This is achieved by changing the rocker arm and camshaft assembly for a more conventional design, Ferrea did a kit, google 'roller rocker arms' or something like that.

20. wanstar Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

i looked into this a while back did a lot of research you can buy manifolds for twin 45's to bolt stright onto the b16 if i remember right it was luminitions site its the same manifold they use for their 45mm TB's with dcoe flange so you'll also have the option of runin itb's in the future if u wanted to. can't remember the jets and emulsion tubes etc i was recomended to use they we're fairly wild with having the VTEC and idle would be fairly lumpy and it would over fuel at low revs because of it being set up to run at optimum power when in tec.