Aftermarket Kit Kenwood DMX7017DABS inc reverse camera fitted

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Wizard, Sunday 28th Jan, 2018.

1. Wizard Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Surrey
    Been busy fitting a Kenwood DMX7017DABS including reversing camera to my CR-V.

Hardest part was running the lead into the tailgate for the camera.

The wiring loom including steering remote interface was a simple plug n play affair.

The brackets were removed from old head unit and simply bolted onto the Kenwood using same fixings. The new surround then simply pushes home using the original white clips. There are instructions for doing this on you tube.

Attached Files:

Nels, i-DSI, andy83 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Wizard Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I did have to pickup the handbrake wire, this is best picked up at the actual hand brake. The front of the centre console pulls of and the the top part with the 2 cup holders pulls upwards. You have to remove to clips that hold the cable for the aux socket & 12v socket and then the whole thing comes away giving good access to the hand brake wire.

I also popped out the 3.5mm aux socket and replaced it with a oblong USB socket that with a little bit of enlarging of the original hole and some hot glue fitted nicely and looks very OE.

Getting the cable from the lower centre dash to the centre console was easy, you pop up the trim that runs along bottom of the door shut and you can then get your arm under the carpet and simply grab the cable and run it from console to dash or vice versa.

I picked up the reverse feed from the loom on the near side. Simply follow the wire from the lamp, then with a multimeter find the reverse wire.

I would have taken pictures, but it started to rain heavily and I just wanted to finish the job and get inside!

3. Wizard Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Another thing worth noting is that you will need an aerial adapter as the plug won’t fit into new headunit and you also need to run 12v to the aerial amplifier. The adapter simply plugs into existing aerial and then you connect the blue wire to the aerial 12v control wire on the headunit.

4. Paul Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Very nice. I’m assuming the original reverse camera wouldn’t work with this?
    - - - Updated - - -
    Does your car have the sub as well?

5. Wizard Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, I don’t know about orginal camera, or even if they came with them. But there may be an adapter available.

No, I don’t have the sub. But I believe there is a different loom for the ones that do.

I have replaced all my speakers with Alpine SPG-17C2 and they sound so good I didn’t need to fit my Bazooka tube sub

Paul likes this.
  6. Paul Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thank you. May look into this a bit more.

7. automobilklub Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dan Northampton
    Hi Wizard. May I ask where did you get the speaker adapter rings from?
    Also did you use the amplifier or run from the headunit?
    Thanks

8. Wizard Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

9. Nels Club Moderator Club Staff

Nice job there @Wizard :likeit:

10. totogbemi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Toto London
    Hello,
    Can you shed any light on how you managed to remove the old camera and install the new one?
    Thanks

11. i-DSI Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    T.O. has an ES, not an EX like yours. Has no camera standard.

12. Wizard Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Indeed, this is correct.

13. totogbemi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Toto London
    Many thanks, guys. My reverse camera stopped working a while a go and I am thinking of trying to change the camera/check its wirings to see if this will make difference. I think the head unit is fine and the issue might be from the camera, hence my question.

14. GeoffJ Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Geoff Slough
    @Wizard do you have any links to the items (camera, fascia, harness) that you used on this job please?
    I am in the middle of the same install with my Pioneer in an EX.
    Thanks.

15. Wizard Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Camera was a cheap one from Amazon, facia & wiring kit were all from Road Radio in Crawley.