K20A EDIX 2004 High revs at cold start, Fast Idle Control Valve problem?

Discussion in 'Honda K-Series' started by kbobiller, Friday 2nd Aug, 2019.

1. kbobiller Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Steve Walsall
    So on my 2004 Edix with just 41k km it's suddenly started revving at 2100 RPM on cold start, after 40-50 seconds it drops down to ~1500 RPM, its quite a marked change from how it used to behave over the previous year since I've had it.
    Once it's warm it drives as normal, revs at idle are fine, under acceleration fine, cruising all fine. Just the initial cold start.
    Is it the idle air control valve? Is there any way to check if its that before seeking a replacement?
    The rubber hoses and such nearby all seem fine and flexible.
    Any tips on how to proceed would be much appreciated!
    thanks
    Steve

2. Craig830 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Craig Rothbury
    Clean out the throttle body

kbobiller likes this.
  3. Craig830 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Craig Rothbury
  4. kbobiller Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Steve Walsall
    thanks for the link - that's a great guide; I got the parts lined up, carb cleaner, tool for cutting a groove in the star-head screws, ordered a gasket which arrive yesterday, then this morning it started and idled properly! On the drive to work it even held the idle when I cycled the air-con and other loads. Perhaps it was jammed in one position with some dirt?

5. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    Nice Edix @kbobiller, we've got one just like it but in black.

I would clean the throttle body anyway as you had planned. Also whilst you are there check all the vacuum hoses for splits and make sure you have coolant in rad and the overflow tank to the correct level.