Engine & Gearbox k20 limiter weirdo

Discussion in 'Honda K-Series' started by ID-Workz, Saturday 2nd Jan, 2010.

1. ID-Workz Commercial Services Trader

K20 Vtec Playing Up

My brother has an EP3 Type-R, he seems to be getting trouble with like a safety limiter coming in jus after hitting VTEC. Its stopping the car revving any further. He was told to check the oil level which is topped up. Any help? I'm not sure if it makes any sense but its a problem which I need to resolve. Help please. Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 3rd Jan, 2010
  2. 689r Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

is he smashing its pastie in while cold?

3. Smiley Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

any check lights come up. if so check to see what it says

4. ID-Workz Commercial Services Trader

No lights coming up, And no when its warm, even after its been running an hour to two hours it'll still now and again play up.

When hitting VTEC most of the time it pulls right through to redline, just now and again it won't. Could it be with the cold weather or due to the fact of an open filter on it?

5. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

6. ID-Workz Commercial Services Trader

Topped up everytime he fills up, Been causing problems for the past week or so.

7. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

get it plugged into mate, id bet its got a sporadic fault stored in the fault memory

8. Smiley Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

there must be something wrong somewhere if the oil needs topping up everytime he fills up? Thats some serious oil loss, even wankels don't need topping up that often.

9. ecksjay Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

someone i know had this problem and it turned out to be a dodgy earth somewhere, which caused arcing onto the chassis and causing loads of electrical problems that otherwise had no reason to cause a problem.

10. ID-Workz Commercial Services Trader

No, he checks the oil every time he tops up. This is what is recommended on the Civic Type-R owners club. Doesn't need topping up every time he checks, he keeps a close eye on it.

Thanks Harry I'll let him know. :Smile:

11. R11CH Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Have you tried resetting the ECU ?? normally sorts the problem out, If there was a problem with a sensor or other fault with the engine the engine light normally comes on. Sounds like it's going into "safe mode" but even that flashes up the engine light.

12. deb1991 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

happend to mine one time and it was low oil, i don't tink the open filter will have an effect, as I've got on one mine and it revvs fine.

13. TDi North Commercial Services Trader

Stock ECU? If anything was wrong with the VTEC or VTC mechanisms, it would show a check light, or at least save the fault. Same goes for most of the electronics. :Smile:

14. ID-Workz Commercial Services Trader

It's sorted now. He did some motorway mileage and it was fine the next day, baffled.

15. TDi North Commercial Services Trader

Oh, good to hear it :Smile:

16. ID-Workz Commercial Services Trader