K&N - experience in Jazz Sport

Discussion in '4th Generation (2015)' started by Eck, Monday 1st Jul, 2019.

1. Eck Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I have often wondered about the potential fuel consumption benefits of a K&N filter, the performance differences would be too difficult to quantify anyway.

Being a fairly steady, routine routes and trips sort of driver I decided to try on on my 2018 Jazz Sport.

I was going to base the trial over 6 fills and compare to the previous 25 since new.

Now having done 3 1/2 fills (1265 miles) the results look like - 0.8mpg/0.18mpl improvement, i.e 7.04 miles range increase in full tank.

This is a 1.69% improvement in range, and with my sort of driving style and use would require another 23 full fills at today's price locally (£1.239/l) to get the filter cost back - though a cleaning cost in the future will have to be included.

I will update when 6 fills carried out.

Performance - I do "feel" the car is more responsive in acceleration, this should be treated as tenuous at least.

Hopefully will help others who may be thinking of this sort of refinement.

Last edited: Tuesday 2nd Jul, 2019
  2. Eck Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

One more fill, stats now - 0.88mpg/0.19mpl improvement, i.e 7.75 miles range representing a 1.86% improvement.
    Viewing the mileage I cover/year - currently 7862 it will save me £17.64/year, and with the K&N cost (£50.39) plus cleaner cost (£15.39) will take 3.73 years to break even.

Duc de Pommfrit likes this.
  3. Eck Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

One more fill, stats now - 0.47mpg/0.10mpl improvement, i.e 4.09 miles range representing a 0.98% improvement.
    Viewing the mileage I cover/year - currently 7918 it will save me £9.25/year, and with the K&N cost (£50.39) plus cleaner cost (£15.39) will take 7.11 years to break even.
    The much affected figures due to a period of higher speed and load of people + luggage in this period giving a reduced MPG (roughly 3mpg).
    Will stop monitoring after 10 fills, but so far would say from the cost saving point of view does not look worth it for me given I do not keep cars for too long.

4. Eck Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Now 6 completely K&N fills, stats now - 0.65mpg/0.14mpl improvement, i.e 5.69 miles range representing a 0.98% improvement.
    Viewing the mileage I cover/year - currently 7828 it will save me £12.81/year, and with the K&N cost (£50.39) plus cleaner cost (£15.39) will take 5.13 years to break even.
    The much affected figures due this fill to a return to more normal running Will stop monitoring after 10 fills, but so far would say from the cost saving point of view does not look worth it for me given I do not keep cars for too long.

5. Eck Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Now 7 completely K&N fills, stats now - 0.3mpg/0.07mpl improvement, i.e 2.65 miles range representing a 0.64% improvement.
    Viewing the mileage I cover/year - currently 7718 it will save me £6.01/year, and with the K&N cost (£50.39) plus cleaner cost (£15.39) will take 10.95 years to break even.
    The much affected figures due this fill to having a holiday so less mileage/year and higher speed motoring to and from airport . So far would say from the cost saving point of view does not look worth it for me given I do not keep cars for 10 years.
    Performance wise, could say I feel a slight change for the faster acceleration.
    Now removed K&N filter and is available if postage paid for anyone else who same filter box as mine, - the K&N part no. is 33-5027.