Introductions Joined today

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by PeteP, Wednesday 10th Apr, 2019.

1. PeteP Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Pete Canterbury
    Hi,
    Thanks for letting me in to your great Forum. I've just bought a 2007 Honda Accord I-CTDI EX, and so far I'm really pleased with it. It's the grimiest car I've ever owned, but under all the filth it seems to be in very good condition. I will be doing as much of my own maintenance as possible and starting with oil & filter change, air filter etc plus replace gearbox oil. Also need to do a bit of research before I replace the headlight bulbs. The one thing I'm disappointed in is the very poor lighting on dipped beam.

2. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    Welcome and grats on your Honda. Please add her to the garage, so we can follow your progress

:garage::morephotos:

3. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

Hi and welcome to the forums. I can agree on the poor lighting, especially if you're using cheap bulbs. I switched to osram nighbreakers which are better but still not as good as I'd like. I also have a 2007 CDTi EX. I replaced all of the bulbs, did as many as possible with LED's. You'll need H1's for the main/dipped, H11's for the fogs, 501's for the sidelights and either a 580 or 582 for the indicators (I can't remember which is which, as one is single and one is dual filament)

In the 7th Generation section there's a post listing all of the bulbs. To change them all, you will need to drop the front bumper as access is really tight... But it's not a major job and it can be done in about 20-30 mins.

4. PeteP Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That is really helpful, thank you.
    Initially, I'm going to change just the headlight bulbs to get me out of trouble. Later, and after I have done all the essentials such as oil & filter, I will look at replacing the bulbs because I do want it to be as good as it can be.
    You say that the 'osram nighbreakers' are not as good as you'd like, so what would you choose next time?

5. PeteP Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you, I will do that.

6. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

Don;t get me wrong, they're much better than basic H1 bulbs... and cost 4x as much. But they're still not as bright (not as white) as I'd like given I previously owned cars with HID kits. I want to upgrade this one but need to double check MOT rules as I think it's either of the following (self levelling or headlight washers).

Given that you need to drop the bumper to get at the bulbs... Change everything. fit some LED 501's in the sides and some in the indicators (you'll either need canbus ready ones to stop the hyper flashing or a relay to correct for the low power LED draw). You can get LED H1's... But I have no experience of them... I'd like to fit them if possible though.

The problem with HID kits is that you normally have to make wiring changes, when I did the upgrade to my old MX6 10yrs ago... it was a plug and play setup. The HID kit I have here, needs some wiring changes to the car.

7. PeteP Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

- - - Updated - - -
    That's really helpful, clear advice which I will make a written note of. Thank you.

8. PeteP Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Please let me know if continuing this thread is the right thing to do in the 'Introductions' section.

I'm a bit bemused as I looked on eBay for H1 Osram Nightbreakers, but when I do a compatibility check for my 2007 Honda Accord I-CTDI EX, 2204CC Diesel I keep getting "This item doesn't fit Honda Accord 2007 MK VII [1998-2008] Saloon 2.2i-CTDI Saloon 2204ccm 140HP 103KW (Diesel)."

I realise their compatibility check is not the most reliable so would you say I should ignore that and order them anyway? Of course, I won't hold you responsible if they don't fit

9. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    Hello @PeteP welcome to Club H-Tune and thank you for your introduction.
    Here are some useful information, please take a moment to go through them.
    "Popular Guides For New Members"

10. Zebster Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes H1 Osram Nightbreakers do fit, I fitted them. Hardly made any difference though, IMHO, and their life was short.

What made the biggest difference for me was aggressively polishing the headlights to physically remove the oxidised outer layer and minimise the accumulated chips and scratches, etc.(looked a lot better too). I first used medium wire wool to remove the surface layer, then used a pad attachment on my cordless drill with an abrasive proprietary headlamp polish from eBay called 'K2 lamp doctor'.

11. PeteP Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you. And coincidentally I did polish the headlights today and it has made a big difference in appearance; looks much smarter now, I can actually see the three lights and I expect the lights to have more intensity.
    outside 11-4-19 (5).JPG

Zebster likes this.
  12. Zebster Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Glad I didn't need to do that on my pre-facelift model!

13. PeteP Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I chose Osram Night Breaker bulbs for the headlights after all, as a couple came up on eBay reasonably priced. What an improvement on the lights I had, so very pleased.
    The headlight bulbs were fairly straightforward to change. The passenger side was made much easier by disconnecting the negative cable from the chassis, and the drivers side I removed the top of the washer bottle.
    I also changed the sidelight bulbs in accordance with the instructions in the handbook and that was fairly easy too.
    But I don't know how difficult the main beam bulbs and the front indicators will be, and I will worry about that when they need replacing.

Zebster likes this.