General I’ve decided to change the engine (help and advise needed)

Discussion in 'Lounge & Gossip' started by Baggedcivic99, Sunday 10th Feb, 2019.

1. Baggedcivic99 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Abigail Ballymoney
    Hi everyone, so after much consideration with my car misfiring, I think I am going to go with just changing the engine completely to a B18c/B18c4.

Now at this moment in time I’m not completely sure on what I need to buy expect for the engine itself :Laughing: I’m also not sure on where to get one without the fear of it being worn out like the engine I already have in the car.

Is there anyone on here selling the likes of an engine or parts to do with converting the car over on here that I could trust to buy from or would I have to look elsewhere for the likes of that. I seen an engine for sale in the south of Ireland (the exact one I want) but in the description it says it’s burning oil and smoking but it’s only €750 but I don’t know if I should take the chance in buying it and then getting the engine rebuilt so that it stops the burning oil and fixing anything else that may be wrong with it.

Would someone also be able to help me with a list of parts that I will need to buy to be able to complete this conversion.

Thanks in advance :Smile:

H22civic likes this.
  2. Matt at H-Tune Service Team H-Tune Staff

As somebody who's gone D16B2, to D16W3 (that blew up within a few months) to a B18C4 that smokes like anything... I'd honestly say start looking to buy an MB6 or MC2 for the B18C4 swap, get one with the S9B (Torsen LSD). Test drive it, if it smokes a lot, walk away...if it's only a little tiny bit on over run then you should be okay.

The crucial advice is this
    - Rebuild it while it's out of the car, have it on an engine crane and replace everything you can. Rings, stem seals, gaskets, bearings, oil pump, water pump, cambelt... not only will this reduce your oil consumption, but it should also increase your power output... not to mention you can rebuild the engine using upgraded parts.

Do it once, do it properly, do it slowly...because I promise you it'll be so much more satisfying than putting an engine in, loving the extra power for a week and then hating that you've put in a faulty engine-it's brought me to a point now where I'm just saving for a K-swap and doing it all properly... and slowly.

My other advice is get a daily driver. :Tongue:

Let me know how you get on, I do love that Aqua Mint colour.

honda_saj likes this.
  3. Baggedcivic99 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks so much for all that @Matt at H-Tune yea I did plan to have it fully rebuilt before putting it near the car and I also already have a daily driving car, the Civic has been abandoned at the side of the house like a plant pot minus the plants :Laughing: fortunately I think I have fount a d14 engine that will get me away for now until I get the body work on her complete which is a breath of fresh air :Smile: hopefully I will be able to get her looking presentable again for this summer for a few meets etc.

The engine swap was always meant to be the last major thing I am going to do to the car and I was starting to panic a bit that I was going to have to change the time scale for the body work and rush everything because personally I would rather have the car looking really well before I start to go mad with power and everything else to do with that.

Matt at H-Tune likes this.
  4. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    matt spot on advise you have covered all points :mosh:

5. Baggedcivic99 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok so being the indecisive person that I am I have now redecided to just keep the car off the road and just get everything bought for the conversion, could someone help me with a parts list on what I need to buy to make it possible.

Thanks everyone :Smile:

Matt at H-Tune likes this.
  6. Matt at H-Tune Service Team H-Tune Staff

Ping us a message via email (sales@h-tune.co.uk) or message our Facebook page (H-Tune - Startseite | Facebook - start your message with "Hi Matt," and it'll get sent my way. I'm sure I can point you in the right direction for a list of parts.

Regards.

Baggedcivic99 likes this.
  7. Baggedcivic99 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆