it happened again... but worse...

Discussion in 'Steam Room' started by ngy, Saturday 12th Dec, 2009.

1. ngy Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

i ranted on this a while ago about someone pulling out on me when i was overtaking, well i got away with it that time with no damage... not this time though...

what happened:

i was driving to uni, it happened at 7.55am. there was a tractor and trailer holding up a line of traffic, behind the tractor was a fiesta, then a transit van, then a passat and then me, after me was more cars. there is a straight which is around 1/2 mile long, no cars coming so i indicated, checked mirrors and pulled out, passed the passat, got 3/4 past the transit and then he pulled out, his front wing hit my rear quarter and sent me off the road, i tried to pull it back and ended up missing the fiesta and going straight under the trailer, which then spat me out across the opposite side of the road and i ended up in a hedge.

keeping in mind this all happened as the line of traffic was moving at 35mph - it could have been worse! the van driver is claiming its my fault somehow but clearly he didnt check his mirrors now i got nothing! potentially i will loose 2 years ncb and not get a payout if i am found liable, when it was him who it me

2. Jono Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Im sorry but pulling that kind of manoeuvre was always gona end in heart ache mate

Aslong as you are ok thas the main thing

3. Mattharvey12 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

couldn't put it better myself

4. Andy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Gutted :Frown:

I don't get what you mean though, the person you're overtaking pulls out in front of you?!

5. ngy Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

im not denying that it was a bit of a silly thing to do... but still, the guy hit me, why can't he man up and take responsibility. the actual overtake was fine, nothing coming the other way and there should have been no problems, but he didnt check his mirrors

6. ngy Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

he pulled out as i was overtaking him, he was aiming to overtake aswell but didnt look

7. Civboy@JSP Commercial Services Trader

dunno how the insurance would look at this as your over taking a vehicle on the wrong side of the road, hmmmmm could even go 50/50 hell who knows these insurance people chat out there ass some times.

atleast your alrite and not banged up like some people get after a crash

8. Al Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Harrsh :Messed:

... Andy. I think that is what he meant... I understood that he was overtaking 3 cars and a tractor+trailer, as he past the transit it pulled out to also overtake. Smashing into ngy?

Alex

Edit : too late haha

9. Jono Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You can't put the blame on him mate im sorry

You were both in the wrong at the end of the day

What have the police said about it?

10. SaintGrimm Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hang on, how is NGY in the wrong? He was overtaking, which involves driving on the wrong side of the road. Has it suddenly become illegal to overtake?

And I dunno how the van driver missed a bright yellow car :Tongue:

Hope all goes well for you dude!

11. ngy Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

jono, i wouldn't exactly say what i did was wrong, there are no laws against overtaking more than one car, if the conditions are safe ofcourse. the markings on the road allow overtaking, and the road is long and flat, so you can see the other end of the straight, there are no junctions that allow traffic onto the road until the corner at the end of the straight. he was wrong, basic rule for driving, mirror, signal and manouver.

police said nothing about the overtake, they are looking for an independant witness to say that he pulled out on me.

12. ngy Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

cheers dude

i ask myself that aswell... bright yellow! ggrrrr

thanks

I've never been in an accident, or had anything to do with claiming.. so im carefully listening and taking in all your opinions and information to do with it guys... but it the van drivers fault!

13. SaintGrimm Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Did you say "Witnesses? How about the massive yellow scrape down his car? This van driving motherfucker didn't hit big bird you know!" then storm off.

As that would be awesome.

14. Jono Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

don't get me wrong mate im not having a go, im just saying it wasnt the "right" thing to do.

But like I've said before, you are ok and no one else was hurt and thats the important thing

Hope you get things sorted soon

15. ozz9955 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah so witnesses...not the fiesta driver then?

16. ngy Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

i know jono, im not wanting an argument either! cheers mate, no injuries at all... for anyone

witnesses, there were cars behind me aswell, not sure how many but more than 4! the fiesta i doubt would have seen what happened as he was infront, but i obv can't say what he saw. the tractor driver thought he had a blowout, but it turned out it was my Del Sol under his trailer :Frown:

the police are supposed to be speaking to the witnesses to confirm what I've said has happened... but i called them and theyre not giving me any information. thy have one witness that they have a statement from, but im not sure if its the fiesta driver or the driver inbetween me and the van.

can i call the cops and ask them what the others have said in their statements? or will i get told to piss off basically?

17. Jono Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thats cool bro

The police won't tell you anything as statements are disclosed documents for official use only

Just wait and see whats said before you make an rash decisions as if you try and contact anyone about the incident its seen as perverting the course of justice

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 12th Dec, 2009
  18. scottboy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

IMO technically you did nothing wrong, put seriously tempted fate there. I wouldn't have done it, just wait for the other cars to overtake and do the same when its available.

Glad everythings fine tho man, 'technically' you did nothing wrong so insurance should be fine. Aslong as its backed up with the statements

19. Remedi Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Gutted for you dude! such a nice Sol, Glad you're uninjured though that's the main thing as that sounded like a very nasty incident.

I've been in this situation so many times with slow lorries and have done the same thing when in a rush to get to work in the morning to be honest. Everytime it always crossed my mind that something like this could happen to me. Usually i flick on the main or full beams before an overtake like that so i get noticed.

Delsols are kinda hard to spot with how low they are. I hate being near lorries on motorways...

20. bad_ass Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

by bet would be 50/50 even if he drove in to you. they will play it as you was doing something dangerous, which i don't thing you was by the way.