Installing Front Dampers: Wishbone/driveshafts won't drop

Discussion in '5th Generation (1992-1995)' started by gorath23, Saturday 28th Nov, 2009.

1. gorath23 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ok, I have got off the old coilovers from the front but the wishbone assemply/steering arm/driveshaft etc won't drop down far enough for me to reinstall my new dampers. I.e with the fork connected to the damper it hangs below the lower control arm and the holes don't line up.

I'm really pissed off, and need some guidance. Obviously the ARB has been unbolted. I just don't understand whats stopping the assembly from dropping, I can push down on it but it resists it and 'springs' back up again.

2. chrisy2sg Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Its just where the rear(inside) of the arms bolt onto the chassis/body.Its the bushes that are making it bounce back up.Slacken the bolts abit and you will find that you can move the wishbone arm up and down easier.

Make sure you re tighten it after youre done!

3. gorath23 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ok, I'll give it a go. Its amazing how little info the Honda workshop manual gives.

4. chrisy2sg Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

It will only tell you take this off to do that or whatever.don't give you any real tips on how to do things.

Yeh,slacken the bolts off or take them off altogether if need be.

Also another trick when you putting everything back together - don't go tighten evrything up all at once.Put all your bolts back on slack and then go round tightening them up.Otherwise you got another headache to contend with. :Grin:

Due to bushes being rubber,they spring back into place if the mounting points are tight and "fixed".

5. MugenRich Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Easiest way is ti drop the ARB off of the LCA. It's the ARB that holds it all up. Dro pthe ARB off, pull the arm down, reconnect the suspension fork in place, trolly jack on the hub of the disk, slowly jack up to bolt the ARB back in place. Job done in about 20mins start to finish

6. gorath23 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ah dude, see this is my problem. I already unbolted the ARB and it made very little difference. The assembly was still pretty fixed in place, too high for the fork, and obviously I have no way of compressing the damper upwards to line it up.

7. MugenRich Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

hmmm get a mate to stand on the hub of the disk. With the ARB off, you should be able to drop it down enough with little effort. Do you have the top wishbone away from the turret? If not, drop that down too, makes a world of difference

8. gorath23 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hmm, no I did loosen it off ,but again, the problem seemed to be coming from the lower assembly. Needless to say this thing is going to need a decent alignment once its all done!

9. MugenRich Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Drop it completely away from the turret. It'll be those inner bushes causing your problems I reckon. On all the Honda's I've done suspension swaps on, whether it be from coilies back standard or the other way around, I've never dropped a front LCA, always the top wishbone and the ARB if needs most and at the very worse case, taking the TRE away from the hub. But that's it.

HTH

10. TDi North Commercial Services Trader

Why are you installing the damper with the fork attached?

11. Saint Matt Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

If you're loosening that lower wishbone bolt you should tighten it when the vehicle is on the deck, or just raise the wheel up to about normal ride height. Otherwise your bush will always be stressed and wear out quicker (lol).

Me and Lou dropped my DC2 in like 45 mins mate, it really shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 28th Nov, 2009
  12. Kahnmb6vti New Member Getting Started

45 mins, wow thts pritty fast!

Dis guy wud be beta of chukin the suspension at his car!

13. carlsberg Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

having read lou's post, its the same thoughts i have. why not just install the damper first then you can put the fork on afterwards

14. TDi North Commercial Services Trader

Drop the fork off, just hang it over the LCA, fit the coilover, fit the fork, tighten everthing up and Robert is your fathers brother :Tongue: