General Indicators not Clicking Off Properly

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by RogerH69, Tuesday 30th Apr, 2019.

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    Thought I'd post tis here as well, so it's not hidden away in my garage thread

I Did a steering wheel swap using a Civic '06 Steering Wheel on my CL9 Accord. Even though I got it done with SWC, horn and airbag working (no SRS light makes me think it's all good), what I've found is that the indicator is not clicking off properly. When turning steering wheel left with indicaor on, I hear it click after a quarter turn, and when I turn to center agan, indicator will click off. However, when indicating right and turning steering wheel to right, I have to turn three quarters before I hear it click. If I turn steering back to center BEFORE I have turned three quarters, then indicator does not click off. How do I fix this ?

Does it have anything to do with this yellow bit? This has 2 'teeth' that align with notches in the back of the steering wheel center piece. This may have moved (turned) when I was swapping steering wheels.
    1478900_upload_2019-4-30_15-45-24.
    Last edited:

2. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    No idea buddy this is gonna be a trial and error :jumpy:

3. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Ok, it's definitely not that yellow thing that's causing this. No idea how changing steering wheel could cause this then

4. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

So i took off the Civic steering wheel, and did some testing of turning the cable reel with indicators on (battery disconnected obviously) and the indicators click off properly. I put the original Accord steering wheel back on and indicators clicked off properly.

Swapped to Civic steering wheel again, but didn't fully fasten the retaining bolt, and indicators clicked off properly. Tightened retaining bolt fully, and indicators went back to requiring a full 3/4 turn to right for indicators to click off and only 1/4 turn to left to click off.

So, it seems that not only does the fact that the Civic steering wheel sits lower down the shaft cause rubbing against dash trim, but it also causes issued with indicators. Going to look at making a small spacer to put on the rear of the Civic steering wheel to resolve this issue.

5. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Problem solved :Grin:

I used some cuts fro ma coke can to create a bit of a spacer, which meant the Civic steering wheel didn't go as far down the steering column, and the indicators are working fine now. Also, the rear of the steering wheel no longer rubs against the trim around the steering column.