I want an N22 powered daily, what should I buy?

Discussion in 'Honda N-Series' started by Matt at H-Tune, Sunday 5th May, 2019.

1. Matt at H-Tune Service Team H-Tune Staff

Hey all,

As some of you may know, while I work at H-Tune in Kettering, I actually live around 70 miles away in the outlands of Derbyshire. It's a long old commute, but I love my job so I figure it's worth it. At present, it's /JUST/ cheaper to not live down here, which is nice as the commute is 'only' an hour or so each way at very most, and I can see the missus, family and friends on any given evening.

However, my EH6 Del Sol...while I love it dearly, isn't exactly frugal. It'll do about 35-40mpg on a run, but if I'm in a hurry that'll drop pretty rapidly to more like 20-25mpg. I've heard many people and seen it regularly advertised on AutoTrader and the likes that the 2.2 I-CDTI Accords will do 60mpg+.

Now, this is where it gets fun. The question is, Civic or Accord? I've got (at very most) about £2,000 to play with here, as I won't be buying the car until the end of Summer (because like hell am I missing a chance to drive my Del Sol in the sun).

Out of the two, which is better to actually live with? Which one will do better MPG, which one do/did people like more, what should I look out for, which ones have cruise control and finally, realistically, what kind of MPG should I expect?

I hope to hear from you all soon, as you're all usually very helpful.

Regards.

2. mw88 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That's some commute! I thought I was mental doing 40 each way in an Accord Type-S that averaged about 28mpg!

Haven't driven a diesel Honda, but a friend has a 2011 Accord with a 2.2 diesel and it goes well enough. The quoted MPG figures are probably over estimated, unless you're crawling along at 50mph - Think my friend was getting about 45mpg according to the computer (not sure how accurate this is though!) which was usually at a steady 85ish..

If you're used to something that revs to 7-8k, only having 3k of useful revs is going to send you insane.. I'm currently driving a 2.4 diesel Volvo S60 while I figure out a plan of what to do with my CL9 and it's killing me!

3. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    I'd go Accord, it's a much more comfortable cruising machine than the Civic.

Get an Exec spec with leather seats and you'll not tire all driving the Accord.

4. Zebster Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I did over 100k miles in my I-CDTI Accord tourer, mostly commuting. Fantastically comfortable motorway cruiser but I certainly agree with the previous comment on MPG... I accurately calculated mine at every fill and the figure was normally in the range 43 - 46 (only once in 10 years did I manage to get over 50mpg!). Admittedly I set the cruise to an indicated 85mph whenever possible (using the logic that my actual speed would then fall below that which would get me convicted for speeding) but the fuel economy was still disappointing. Maybe an Accord saloon would be more economical, or maybe you should get a Civic if MPG really is your critical requirement?

Personally I'd just use the Del Sol and avoid the risks associated with buying a used car... any theoretical fuel savings could easily be wiped out by a large repair bill, and the I-CDTI does have a few documented issues... weak clutch/DMF, snapped timing chains and cracked exhaust manifolds are all commonly reported (and I experienced them all!).

Matt at H-Tune likes this.
  5. Guy at H-Tune Warehouse Manager H-Tune Staff

United Kingdom Guy Gloucester
    An Accord is certainly an ideal motorway cruiser and should easily do 50mpg plus.

6. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Second that mileage claim: just spent a few days in North Wales, and averaged 50mpg (calculated on re-filling the tank, so accurate), which includes motorways at 80mph (2009 Ex Tourer I-DTEC)

7. Zebster Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You have a newer (lighter?) model with a much better engine.

8. Matt at H-Tune Service Team H-Tune Staff

To be fair to him, a newer Accord isn't completely out of the question, it's just (temporarily) out of budget.

9. Zebster Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You're going to TWOC one???

10. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Hope you find the right one, Matt, newer or older, as long as she's reliable

11. Matt at H-Tune Service Team H-Tune Staff

Hey, just because I'm from Ilkeston... :Laughing:

12. Zebster Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Oh sorry, I thought you were a Scouser...