Engine & Gearbox I-DTEC EX TOURER FUEL FILTER

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by FUGMASTER, Monday 27th May, 2019.

1. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Hi Gang,

Am going to replace the fuel filter on my 2009 Ex-Tourer I-DTEC, and think I've read somewhere that the tool to remove the filter top is the same as the one used to remove the oil filter (which I have); can someone please confirm that s so??

Thanks in advance

2. John Hamer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Waltham Abbey
  3. John Hamer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

4. Bounder Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    Fuel is 88mm 15 flutes, oil is 76mm 14 flutes.

5. John Hamer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

IS'NT IT nice to be acknowledged??

PeteP likes this.
  6. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Apologies John; I always get a message by e-mail whenever I post on this site and have a response, but for some reason it's stopped happening?? Thanks for replying, lads; bought the tool from Cox's, £20'ish

7. Bounder Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    The genuine honda fuel filter tool is £20 ish? Thats a good price.

8. Psycon1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all.
    I am going to be doing this to my Honda. I have read that you need to bleed the system once it's all gone back together. I take it that by turning the ignition on, the fuel pump does this for you? Or will I need to do something else to bleed it?
    Thanks

9. John Hamer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Have you read the link?

10. Psycon1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi John. I just te read it and realised I miss read a bit. Thanks

11. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    I should be doing mine on Sunday, so I'll let you know if I come across any issues

12. Psycon1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hey.
    Beat you to it. Just done mine. I used the Cox motorsport tool to remove the filter cover (was £20) Was a right bugger to get off and the tool itself was a very tight fit so had to tap it on with a plastic hammer. I realised on the halfords professional socket sets the extension bars have a slightly tapered design so you can get a bit of angle on a socket when using them. This created a problem when using the tool as it gave move movement on the tool so the bar could twist slightly in the tool and damaged it a little (see pics). I ended up using and elbow tool which didn't twist and did the job great. See pictures of the tool to see what I mean.
    Great guide and really helped.

Attached Files:

13. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Thanks for the heads up and the shots, Psycon! Quick question: Did you need to disconnect the wiring from the fuse box, or did you simply move it to one side?

14. Psycon1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No I just undid the bolt holding it down, unclipped the other side of the box and moved it to one side. I was considering taking off the cross member (would have made it a bit easier to get the filter back in) but managed to do it with the cross member still on. Its tight but I managed to do it that way. Just hook the pipe you take out of the top of the filter on the stud that holds the fuse box down to keep it out of the way

15. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    That's good news, and'll make the job more straight-forward. I'll report back how it went, and thanks again!

16. Psycon1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Good luck but I'm sure you won't need it. And no problem

17. Psycon1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

One thing I didn't mention is I didn't Jack the car up to drain the filter housing, I just used a siphon pump to drain the chamber. Was an easy job doing it that way

18. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Well , job done, but at one stage I thought the filter cover wasn't going to budge!! I suppose, unlike the oil filter which is a yearly job and therefore easy to remove, these fuel filters are changed maybe at 3 yearly'ish intervals so get jammed-on; luckily I had that knuckle tool and extension bars as you used , Psycon1, so after banging the removing tool onto the filter cover with a wooden mallet it eventually (and I mean 'eventually') began to move!! I don't know how you managed to get enough access to it with the cross member still in place, but I'd removed it anyway. Yup, I'd bought one of those oil draining pumps from e-bay previously, and was a doddle to use and empty the fuel chamber with, So, having now successfully completed the job, I'd recommend others who haven't tried this to A/ Have a plastic or wooden mallet as you'll need to bang that tight-fitting Cox's removal tool onto the Filter cover B/ Also used the elbow/knuckle/ extension bars of your sockets set (and patience) to remove the cover C/ You won't have to disconnect the fuse box, just remove and unclip , then place to one side D/ I think removing the cross member brace gives better access , particularly in light of how difficult mine was to remove (although Psycon1, you did manage to, without removing it).

19. Psycon1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Good job Fugmaster. I was also thinking mine wasn't going to budge! Must have popped off about 5 times before it finally started to move! I will agree it would have been a lot easier to do with the cross member off but I did manage it (was very awkward). As Fugmaster said, make sure you have all the right tools and it's a pretty easy job. The only issue is getting the filter lid to open but patients will get it off. I think also if you haven't had the filter lid replaced since the car was new (I think it was only the 2008-2009 models) as they had a design flaw and the thread on it was slightly different to the main body, but Honda replaced them, with I white DOT on the new caps to show they were the new type, then you may have a bit of trouble getting it off. Otherwise you should be good.

20. julekasMobilek Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
    i have changet this filter few times now, so if you successfully remove fuel filters top cover/cap, just a heads up, do not tighten it up to the marked arrows, next time you change a filter would and will be much easier to loosen it.
    also, i recommend to to remove two positive cables on the fuse box, no biggie, but the job will be much easier
    and third thing to notice, do not overtighten diesel hose with 10 (or 12)mm bolt, there is no big pressure, so no need to tight hard :Smile:

Psycon1 likes this.