i can smell petrol in the car??

Discussion in '6th Generation (1996-2000)' started by tombowman12, Monday 7th Dec, 2009.

1. tombowman12 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

hi guys,

got a bit of a strange problem here, not sure if anyone else has had it.

basically, i'll be driving along, but when i stop at traffic lights, i can smell petrol coming throught the vents. i alsway have the blowers on, especially now because it's cold. but what could it be?

crack in the fuel rail, loose injector??

what do you think guys??

2. Stokes Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I smelt it in mine last night for a moment.

It was when I started it up and was waiting for the windows to demist.

I don't know.

3. Bon Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Did you recently decat your exhaust?

4. tombowman12 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

nope! i've had an exhaust fitted, and they did say my cat was weak!

but it was happening before i had the new exhaust fitted! it's just started to get annoying now!

5. TwistedSanity666 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

6. tombowman12 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

where's that too??

7. dozzy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My sisters MB6 had a similar problem, was leaking feul through a nackered injector seal

8. Vince Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I love the smell of fuel.

9. Jasonday2007 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

mine honks of fuel, i've got a de-cat and probably a nackered sensor or two.

10. tombowman12 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

yeah, but your tanks in the back of your car, you have to open the hatch to fill up!!

i don't have a decat, but i think i'll go to powerflow in the next few days and see about a custom mani and performace cat!!

11. Chris-G Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have a similar problem too, when I start it up it smells of fuel for a moment. There is not a leak under the bonnet because its bone dry! The tank is fine too. From what I can see, the fuel lines are ok too. Plus if it was the tank or a leak, you would smell it all the time. Surely? I have a decat but its a different type of fumes, its pure petrol not exhaust gases.

12. Liam Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

could be rusty fuel lines or a loose connection at the tank, if it smells under the bonnet it'll be a leak there not the tank. petrols a nightmare to find stupid tiny leaks as it turns to vapour an don't stay wet for long. happy hunting hehe:Angry:

13. Rory C Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Sorry to bump an old thread

I had the same problem in mine although it stank of fuel alot of the time, it turned out the tank was leaking near the top of it and then seeping down the side of it. A new fuel tank later (well second hand) and all was sweet again. Maybe worth while checking your tank dude, sorry if you already have.

Rory