Suspension, Steering and Brakes How to take out ABS sensor?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by TedH77, Saturday 9th Mar, 2019.

1. TedH77 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ethiopia tedh7 Vilnius
    Hi guys!
    Just want to ask, how to take out ABS sensor in front without disassembling "half of car" haha :Smile: I know that this sensor is hard to take off because it snaps very easly, but maybe there is any methods to take it out? Maybe spraying any lubricant oil and leaving it for few days? Any suggestions? Because if i could take it off easly, i could change it on my own, but if it snaps then I need to take it to the service...

Thanks guys!

2. Zebster Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If you find it to be stuck, then drilling out is the only solution... but DO NOT ALLOW THE DRILL BIT TO PENETRATE MORE THAN ABOUT 6MM BELOW THE OUTER SURFACE, as there is a high risk of damaging the magnetic encoder ring (then you have to replace the wheel bearing).

honda_saj likes this.
  3. TedH77 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ethiopia tedh7 Vilnius
    @Zebster thanks:Smile: yeah, I know that, but there is a big possibility that sensor will be stuck yes? any oil won't help?

honda_saj likes this.
  4. Zebster Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's hard to form an opinion about whether it'll be stuck or not, unless lots of people reply and we can start a vote!

In my limited experience of replacing both fronts on my Accord when it was 11 years old then they will almost certainly be stuck! But maybe your country doesn't dump tonnes of salt on your roads, or maybe your sensors have been out before, or maybe you'll be lucky? They are a tight fit into the hole in the knuckle assembly and corrosion of the hole holds them in tight... I don't see how penetrating oil could help this, IF this is what's happened.

Bottom line, nobody can possibly know if your sensor will be stuck or not. But why does it matter if it is, you can just drill it out in a few minutes, clear out the hole, and then just carry on with the replacement? Hope for the best, but expect the worst...

honda_saj likes this.
  5. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    I have done one a Civic front nearside and that came out dead easy, was not stuck at all. However, I've done several Accord rear ones and they were all stuck.

honda_saj likes this.
  6. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I one purchased a knuckle from ebay for my old accord just to swap the sensor out. however it would have required the disassemble of the front knuckle of the car on that occasion as the sensor was stuck solid, However to remove the sensor out of the spare knuckle, I lubed it up with wd40 and tapped it out with a socket from the inside of the hub. It did not break either and now that sensor lives on in another car of a member on here.

honda_saj likes this.
  7. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    quick drill will allow sensor to come out easy. In case of sensor being stuck in. :Wink: